main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Watchmen Movie

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by EDKRIEG, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    Go to http://www.newsarama.com .There is news on the Watchmen movie.It is supposed to be announced Friday at Comic-Con San Diego.Billy Crudup may be Dr ManHatten and Jackie Earl Haley rorschach.Comments?Bluetights.net has a section under its The Planet for Superman and other films as well.Thoughts on Snyder's Movie.BTW the film may not contain a certain sub story until the DVD release.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Bump!

Trailer is out!

I'm really gonna have to move this one to the top of my to-read list...

3. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    linky no-worky :(

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Huh, Empire's servers seem to have gone down- here's a Youtube version, though obviously lower quality.

5. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I heard rumblings that its playing with TDK...is this so? As I would much rather see it on the Big Screen.

6. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    Apropos if it is.

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Here's Apple's copy of the trailer, since the others are down.

8. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    We saw the trailer in the theater before TDK tonight. I don't know that a trailer has ever moved me so deeply. Each shot is visually engaging, yes -- gorgeous to behold, like something out of a dream -- but there's an emotional power to the net result that I don't think I've ever experienced in a trailer.

Further, and equally important, it seems like they're striking close to the source here. They're not "adapting" -- quote/unquote -- the material except for what's needed to put it on the screen. At least, it certainly looks that way. Shot after shot, they cover all the beats from the graphic novel like they're ticking them off a hand-lettered list.

The eye-widening Watchmen trailer, combined with seeing TDK, has left me giddy with joy at being a SFF fan. I'm proud to say my jaw is on the floor, and drool can clearly be seen from several yards away. Thank you and good-night.

9. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Very good trailer. It may have convinced me to read the comic :p

10. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I've never read the comic but I thought the trailer had some of the most visually stunning images I have ever seen. I never seen anything look quite like this. I'm intrigued enough that I may check out the comic from my library.

11. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Saw the trailer online today. Having never read the book(s) can someone who has tell me: should I be happy, worried or both?

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Might I say it's worth the read? It surpasses almost anything else I've read comic book wise.

Check it out from the local library, if nothing else.

Rorschach on the big screen? Drool...

13. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    "My God, it's full of stars."

The trailer was amazing. The visual style fits the comic, but in a sleek way- modernizing without modernizing is the only way I can think to describe it. And the effects to bring Dr. Manhattan to life....wow.

"God is real, and he's American."

14. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I've never actually sat down and read the trade from cover to cover. I know everything that happens, but I really need to read it.

15. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    I saw the trailer at Batman. I was so attached to it as a quality work, one of the very best, that the trailer worries me personally. Doesn't mean it won't be good, just looks like they focused on all the wrong stuff. Read Read Read if you want to be amazed...or maybe see the movie first, that way you are guaranteed not to be let down by the film. If you see the film first, I believe you will be statistically more likely to enjoy both. I hope I am wrong here.

16. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    What do you mean by focusing on the wrong stuff? I can see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure that's a fair argument to make for a teaser trailer. All they really focused on is Dr. Manhattan, who's existence is really what caused everything that led to the situation in Watchmen.

17. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    You make a great point Jek. I will try to explain better. Like I said I could be absolutely wrong, and hope I am. I have been waiting for this film for a while now in high hopes. Also it is just a teaser trailer, so I may have gotten the wrong impression. Personally, it had to much shine to it, and thats the last feeling I come away with after reading Watchmen.

While it is my opinion, rarely is something transfered to film as a fine balance of style and substance, you usually get alot more of one. Also anything that comes within 30 feet of "from Frank Miller and the makers of 300 and Sin City" is sure to have an abundance of "style". So this is purely a gut reaction to what I saw on screen.

Hey, they already have my 10$, maybe 2 times over, but my heart of hearts tells me it will only be satisfying on the superficial end, and not with quality character portrayals, or a good script transfer, etc....

Hope I am wrong =)

18. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I can see what you're saying. Sin City and 300, while being awesome, were mostly about visuals and style.

But Watchmen on the other hand is really supposed to give you something to think about by the end of it. It's a really heavy story, and a movie that's simply stylish and accurate isn't really going to get the point across. It needs a strong cast and a strong director so that it's gets the point across without having the visuals outdo the story.

Personally, I'm kind of scared too. But no matter how the movie turns out, the book is still always there.

19. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I've just finished up reading the comic, and (of course) thoroughly enjoyed it. I wanted to get the original material implanted in my head before the trailer for the film surfaced.

Saw the trailer today, and the imagery does look good.

20. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    Shame on each and every one of you who haven't read the graphic novel. Shame!

... No I'm serious, you bring shame to this thread with your very existence. Don't return until you've begun reading the novel. All of you. You know who you are.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Woohoo! I've escaped a chastising by the skin of my teeth! :D

22. -polymath-

Jun 7, 2007
    and an interweb chastising at that....

23. gonzoforce

gonzoforce Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 27, 2002
    had no idea Billy Crudup was in the this film, watch Almost Famous, he's awesome in it.

Carla Gugino= hot

24. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Ok, as a rabid fanboy I am both amped up and worried about this film. The style looks good, all the shots match up fairly well, the casting was excellent, Rorschach sounds like himself, all good. however, after re-reading the entire novel as a result of my excitement after the trailer I am convinced that as cool as this film will be they simply wont be able to get the ending right. I just don't think it's possible. You do it straight from the book and the audience wont get it.

Any word on exactly what they're doing with "tales of the black freighter?" I heard an anime straight to DVD, they way they did with Gotham Knight for The Dark knight.

25. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Indeed!

Those art the worst!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.