main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Welshguy's Movie Club

Discussion in 'Archive: FF:UK - Wales' started by Welshguy, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welshguy

Welshguy Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    Well the movie is set in Cuba and South America, where they all speak Spanish. So yeah, its in Spanish. :p

But don't let that put you off. I mean look at how good Asian cinema is at the moment, and thats with subtitles.

Besides this movie is ment to be really good, so its worth putting up with a bit of a Spanish.

2. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    I know, but my subtitle button doesnt work on my freeview controler. :-\ Ah well I guess I'll wait untill the next movie lol or 'aquire' it some other way. :p

3. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    The subtitles should be on the print of the film (presuming they show the english version) so they should be on there automatically. It's a very good film and well worth watching, I'm very interested in the Cuban revolution but this has very little to do with it, it's more just a coming of age film but very engaging.

Benicio Del Toro is playing Che soon in Commandante which deals with his later life in Cuba and attempted revolutions in the congo and Bolivia

4. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    With Castro (presumably) at deaths door right now, the US are trying to re-open talks to lead to a democratic election, though the ruling party (now led by Castro's brother) are not particularly taken with this idea. Not to suprising really when you consider the power and money the stand to lose should free and democratic elections take place.

But without Castro, can Communism still stay in control in Cuba?

5. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    We need a new 'Welshguy's international politics club' thread to debate this properly :p

I believe that the Cuba could survive Castro as a 'communist' state if the US left them alone, but they probably won't. Raul is only a few years younger than Fidel so he's not got alot left in him either. Castro has always been a dictator you can sort of sympathise with, while he is ruthless he seems to only do what he's forced to by external pressures and tries to do the best by his people. I'm not particularly keen on his form of government, which is not communism inspite of its highly state controlled economy. The main facet of Castro's government at times appears to be his anti-imperialism which is a very strange thing to base domestic policy on

anyway i'm rambling and i'm probably boring or offending (or both)

Back to films though, i don't know how enthusiastically this idea will be recieved but why don't we try and turn this club into an excuse for meets? we could have one of the films a month in a cinema which we all meet up and go and watch together. It still needn't be a blockbuster, for example my local cinema (the cineworld in cardiff) occasionally show older films as part of seasons or for the student film society which anyone can go along to (this is how i got to see donnie darko on the big screen). Or more obscure current films, for example foreign language films etc. It needn't be everything month, just something i was thinking about

i think that's my longest post in about 3 years, i expect it to be ignored :D

6. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Ignored!!! I very nearly had a heart attack reading that!

Love your idea of possible meets. I would love to have proper cinema meets where they show "proper" movies in the proper environment.

See if you can find out more about what films they are playing and when.

As for the whole Cuba/Castro thing, I agree with you that compaired to other dictators Castro isn't exaclty Pol Pott, but neither is he giving his people a choice of governments. But then they have been kept under close observations by the American's, who i'm sure would only need the slightest of reasons to invade and restore democracy.

Viva La Revalution!

7. rhi-sparks

rhi-sparks Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2006
    NO NO NO!
    It's not communism in Cuba.
    I refuse to believe it is, and Marx would too!
    :p

8. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    She may have a point...

Did everyone remember that it's on tonight?

I'm going to catch the 10pm showing instead of the 9pm, but post your views whenever you can.

Revised Questions:

Favourite Scene?

Favourite Character?

Favourite Quote?

Where does the movie excel?

Where could the movie be improved?

What is your opinion on the movies score?

Overall Impression of the Movie and where it ranks alongside others in its genre.

Marks out of 10.

9. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Oh gosh darnit, I forgot it was on. :-\

10. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Do'h! Try and catch it again. Film4 repeat the films a fair bit, so there's a good chance it will be on again some time this week.

Favourite Scene?

I would have to go for the scene where they are wondering around the ancient Inca temples, with Che's voice asking "how can a civilisation go from people who built this [cut to shot of a slum type down], to this".
    Very powerful and vivid depiction of how a entire civilisation can be destroyed and changed just because someone else has bigger weapons. I also particularly enjoyed the Leprosy treatment centre section of the movie. I feel it was there that Che finally became the man he had been heading towards on his long and epic journey. Despite being only one man, he saw that there was a bigger picture and he made a choice to do everything he could to bring his people together.

Favourite Character?

Well I guess this one is prerry obvious. Che's journey and transformation over the course of the movie was really something to behold. I only wish that the forthcoming big screen version of Kerouac's seminal "On the Road" has half the passion and performance of it's two leads.

Favourite Quote?

It's kind of hard to answer this question as the movie was in subtitles and as such a quote that might otherwise knock you sideways, just makes you smile as you read it off the screen. But of all the quotes I read, Che's birthday speech towards the end really stuck in my mind. The speech where, ever as he is saying the words, he realises that he is ment for so much more.

The stunning locations, the pitch perfect acting between the two leads, the real sense of time and scale of their trip around South America and the touching scenes between Che and the Leprosy sufferes.

Another point where I thought the movie excelled was in its realness. At times it felt like I was watching a documentry rather than a Robert Redford produced movie. The poor farmers who were stripped of their land made for frightingly real emotion.

Well, I suppose I could say that it would have made things a lot more accessible if it was in English instead of Spanish. But then that would make me sound like a red neck simpleton. ;) One thing I would like to see is maybe another movie detailing his rise to power and how he achieved the revolution in Cuba.

Can't say I heard that much music through the movie to be honest, though I did enjoy the light Spanish guitar music over the end credits. Other than that I can't really remember anything?

Overall Impression of the Movie and where it ranks alongside others in its genre.

As a road movie it is amazing. As a bio-pic, it rocks! As a glimps into the life and existence of pre revolution South America it was fasanating. A can't really recall a movie that took in as much vision and scope as this one did. The only other thing I can compair it to is the fore mentioned Kerouac book, On the Road, which of course has yet to be made into a movie.

Marks out of 10.

Really liked this movie. Kind of the reason why movies exist. I'll give it a 8.5 out of 10.

11. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    I was knackered after work so had an early night, i'll watch it tonight and weigh in tomorrow

12. rhi-sparks

Mar 15, 2006
    I shall watch it tonight, I was made to go to a pub quiz last night in which we lost...

13. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    There's a reason why its called the Welshguy Movie Club, it's because i'm the only one in it!!!

14. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Next time pick a movie I own and I'll watch and review it. :p I've got about a 2% chance of watching a movie on film4 on freeview due to the freeview being on the main tv and there are much more important things to be watched at 9pm on tv. (acording to my sister and mother) :p

15. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Ok, give me the list of films that you have. If you have loads, try and limit it to the ones that fit the criteria of the movie club.

Same goes for all you other crazy movie loving Welshies.

16. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Spiderman 1 &; 2, Team America: World Police, Batman Begins, Superman Returns, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind, Butterfly Effect, Napoleon Dynamite, Breakfast Club, X-Men 1 &; 2, Harry Potter, Sin City, James Bond, Jurassic Park, Big Fish Kill Bill 1 &; 2, Final Fantasy VII, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Star Wars Saga, Matrix Trilogy, Serenity, Donnie Darko, King Kong, Equilibrium, Pulp Fiction, Garden State, Life of David Gale, Red Eye, Collateral, Seven, Back to the Future Trilogy, V for Vendetta, 40 days and 40 nights, The Girl Next Door.

Thats all my dvd movies. aka good ones that were bought by me. :p

17. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    Ok, it's a bit late, but i've been busy sorry

Favourite Scene?

When Alberto wins the money gambling with the old guys to pay for the prostitue he falls for, I just love the gyus expressions and it always cracks me up for some reason

Favourite Character?

For the reasons above I prefer Alberto to Che in this. While Bernal is a great choice to play Ernesto and does a grand job Alberto just cracks me up and keeps the film and Ernesto grounded when it could easily drift off into pointless hero worship

Favourite Quote?

As Welshy said, being in Spanish some of the flavour of the quotes is lost in the translation and it's therefore hard to pick favourites. However, i really like the conversation with the marxist mining couple in the desert

Edit: Bless you IMDB, here's the quote
    Miner's Wife: Are you two looking for work?
    Ernesto Guevara de la Serna: No, we aren't looking for work.
    Miner's Wife: No?... Then why are you traveling?
    Ernesto Guevara de la Serna: We travel just to travel.
    Miner's Wife: Bless you... Blessed be your travels.

By managing to tell a story about a controversial figure while managing to keep it very normal and reveal what the trip was actually seeimginly like rather than drifting away into legend. It manages to engage because it isn't a story of an almost mythical figure of 20th century politics it's just a road movie where two young people find their purpose in life

I would like to have seen it part of a trilogy, this the start, then part two about his years in guatemala, mexico and subsequently Cuba and then finally his days post-revolution including his attempts at running the cuban bank and then exporting the international proletarian revolution to the Congo and Bolivia and his eventual murder at the hands of the CIA

I like it, it fits the tone of the film beautifully and almost blends in with the scenery

I'd give it an 8/10, it would get higher but sometimes i'm not in the mood to watch it because of the subtitles. However, i think the film benefits from being in Spanish generally, and i probably wouldn't want it in English it's just me being lazy. I love the film, it flows easily from one scenes to the next and the awe-inspiring places they visit make me want to do the trip myself. As i've mentioned, i think it works as a film without the fact Ernesto later becomes Commandante Guevara but as an amateur historian it's interesting to watch him grow into the man he became through his identification with the people in his native continent. It makes you realise a man like Che was fighting for the right reasons, because to sound cliche, he was a man of the people. He didn't pursue power he had it thrust upon him because he felt so moved as to try and make a difference. Unfortunately this was also his downfall because he didn't want to sit back and abuse his power in Cuba (as Castro arguably has) so he tried to create revolution abroad, unfortunately where it wasn't wanted

Compared to others in the genre, it's better than road trip. I'm crap at this question

So what's next then? i'll try and post a bit faster next time

18. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    Ok, how's about we revisit a classic, a classic that i'm sure we all have on DVD and we don't have to hope we can watch on Film4.

I am of course talking about The Matrix.

I was going to be "Being John Malkovich", which was on Film4 a few nights ago and would have fitted in perfect with the movies watched so far.

But I think it's time to pull out the big guns so to speak.

So Matrix ok with everyone?

19. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    Sounds good to me, one of my all time favs (again) but i never get around to watching it because the experience of the sequels has soured my perception of it. I end up tarring the first one with the same brush as 2 and 3 until i actually watch it and remember its greatness.

20. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Sounds good to me, havnt watched the movie in a while. Personaly I liked the 2nd one, obviously not as good as the first but still alright but the 3rd was just... eh?

21. Welshguy

Jun 2, 2002
    I thought you'd like this idea Odj. ;)

Though to be honest, I prefer Revolutions to Reloaded. It has more of the feel of the first film to it and unlike the second film, it isn't so popcorny and action bassed.

22. rhi-sparks

Mar 15, 2006
    I ownly own the first Matrix, so I can watch that.
    I hated the other two, they were pointless action-popcorn films and were awful...

23. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    Personally, I really liked Reloaded because it appeared to set up the third film well. VEry little actually happened in reloaded but it was leading to something. However, in my opinion that something turned out to be a load of crap

At least it's universally agreed that the first one is fantastic

24. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    Right, I am joining the club, and if Mr. W.Guy complains I'll come down there and kick him! Basically I watched The Motorcycle Diaries last night on Film4, and I have read this thread a few times and it seemed a good idea, and Stuey also recommended me watching the film, even though I did want to watch it for a while. Anyway, onto the questions:

Favourite Scene?
    I really enjoyed the swim across the river. It had already been established about his Asmtha and in the scene he went to get the duck the cold water affected him badly. But he was determined to get across to celebrate with people that had become his friends dispite the leaprsy, and it was moving.

Favourite Character?
    Alberto, he was witty and charming. A very likable fellow.

Just in been an excellent story of two people finding paths in life on a journey. It was well told and didn't go into the poltics very deeply, which it could of done so easily, yet it showed you how his opinions were formed and how he became the figure he is today.

More fight scenes and car chases! Seriously, don't really know, perhaps sometimes it felt that the two didn't get on that well and the deep friendship could of been better.

It fitted.

Well I don't know what genre it fits, but I very much enjoyed the movie and went to bed with a smile feeling moved.

Marks out of 10.

Sorry about the answers, not the best, but really would take a few viewing to get it totally.

25. Stuey

May 30, 2002
    One of the deleted scenes on the DVD is of a blind guy giving them a lift in his truck and they nearly go off a cliff. Nothing close to a fight scene though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.