main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

what book has romance with Luke and Mara?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Kasten, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Kasten

Darth_Kasten Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2005
    I am new to the expanded universe. I have only read the jedi academy trilogy and i have heard that luke and mara jade get married. in what book does this happen? I know it happens after the incident at the hand of thrawn. any help telling me what book whould be greatly appreciated.

2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    They get engaged in Vision of the Future. Their wedding happens in the comic series Union, by Dark horse Comics. Survivor's Quest is a primarily Luke and Mara story so you'll get a lot of them there. And there's quite a bit of Luke and Mara romance in the New Jedi Order series.

edit: Oh yeah, forgot to tell you since you're new to this board. Starting a thread having anything to do with Mara attracts bashers and flamers like nothing else.

Just to warn you.

But welcome to Literature nonetheless :)

3. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    None of them. They are the most non-romantic characters in the history of fiction. They think hating each other then having sex, then snapping at each other is romantic. Well, Mara snaps at Luke incessantly. He must like being abused, or something.....

"Come to the cabin later."

That's about it. The only time they were all mushy (and that was completely OOC) was when Mara was "dying". Then there was all this over the top "husband mine" stuff.......It was terrible.

I don't think they love each other. Not really. It's more like an arranged marriege.
    I don't feel any real love, more like, they were old and no one else was around and they had their little force merger thingie and thought that they should be together, because there was nothing else. I don't think it's that real, more like playing house.

Predictably, all the Mara fans that love reading their own fan fiction and think it's part of continuity, because they like it better, will post that I've "derailed the thread with Mara bashing". Which I haven't done. Fan fiction is nice, but it's not real. Reading more into characters than is there as a result of fan fiction isn't fair as an argument. I agree that Luke and Mara act like real people in fanfiction, they are more likable.

4. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Case in point...

5. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    like attracting flies to honey:p ....welcome to the literature boards by the way. :)

6. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    lol, it's completely true, we do come out of the woodwork, don't we?

Anyways, Luke and Mara about as much romantic tension in the EU as... well Padme and Anakin! XD

Oh goodnees, and I'm a prequel gusher...

But seriously, read the first five or six pages of Union. Not only do you actually see Mara and Luke how they should be, it's probably the one time in the whole EU that I *gasp* enjoyed Mara Jade.

7. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I thought that Snow White, bird on a finger thing was a bit much.

8. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    He's henpecked. It makes me sick. Luke is a nice guy, but he is not passive. Realistically, he'd have told her to stick it where the sun don't shine years ago. But then, realistically, he'd never have married her in the first place. The only reason he did was because Zahn demanded it and the publisher gave into him because he's "popular." He put in that "Force bond" stuff to try and make them seem like soulmates, to instantly give them the strength as a couple that Han and Leia spent many years earning. And the authors have tried to shove it down the readers' throats ever since that Luke and Mara are the greatest. couple. EVER! They've done everything from degrading Han and Leia to turning entire books into Luke/Mara fanfics. But the more they try to artificially make Luke and Mara the premier couple, the less convincing it is.

It's so contrived. Just like everything else about Mara.

Yeah...basically, all they do is boink. It's a physical relationship, not an emotional one.

It is an arranged marriage -- arranged by Zahn. He wanted his precious little Mara to be guaranteed an unearned spot in the ranks of major characters.

Couldn't agree more. I don't see any genuine love between them, and certainly not mutual respect. I see a whipped lapdog who is in awe of his shrewish wife, and who would never dare say anything to displease her lest he get his hair blown back by her latest temper tantrum.

Wasn't that sickening? And it's another Mary Sue characteristic -- animals like Mara. Yeah, right.

To answer the question put forward by the originator of the thread, they get married in a comic series called "Union."

9. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    lol, I never even NOTICED that! Oh my... yeah that is a bit much. When I read comics, I tend to focus on dialogue more than art (kinda like how I never noticed the piles of Mandos in Republic 65 laying around), so I never noticed that before but wow. That is funny... in a sad way.

10. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    *high five*

The difference is that P&A aren't supposed to be a stable couple, and Luke and Mara are held up as the most bestest, most wonderfulest couple the galaxy has ever seen!

Aside from the "Snow White" bird-landing-on-finger moment, Mara was portrayed fairly well in "Union," or at least, more sympathetically. And she and Leia acted like friends instead of Mara insulting/snapping at Leia while Leia gushes over Mara, as was the case in the NJO.

11. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Mara's actually one of the most popular EU characters, Darth_Kasten. :)

Even those who hate her can't stop talking about her [face_whistling]

12. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    And those darn authors can't seem to stop writing about her... :p

13. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I guess that means that the PT is also very popular. [face_whistling]

14. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Exactly! :) And what it all amounts to is..... more Mara! Woo-Hoo!! [face_dancing]

Darth_Kasten-- If you'd like even more Mara, try reading By The Emperor's Hand. Lots of Mara action there and pretty good post-Emperor Mara too :)

I like the PT, and I like the OT, and I like Mara, and I like Leia. I have room enough to like a lot of things :)

15. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Eww. She's already stunk up so many books.

And tons and tons of retconning/whitewashing!

So do I. But not for Mara.

16. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    As a Mara and Luke fan, I hate to say this, but you are right. Romance in the EU suffers greatly, no matter which characters we are talking about. Even The Courtship of Princess Leia was more angst than romance. I now like Fanfics better than the Profic novels. And, as TF pointed out, I know it is not 'Canon', but who cares--I read for enjoyment.

Oh yeah, I have to agree with Tiershon Fett that the snowbird on her finger in Union was a bit too much. [face_laugh] Want to see:

[image=http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8163/perkymara3nd.jpg]

Click on to the picture to make it bigger. If you can't read it got to the lower right hand corner of the photo and when an ENLARGE symbol apprears, click on that.

AG88

[face_worried] I hope I don't get kicked out the the Mara Jade Skywalker Fan Club for that picture. [face_worried]

17. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Oh goodie! More flame wars over Mara. [face_dancing]

Welcome to the lit board, love.[/Capt. Jack Sparrow]

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I think the "Luke Skywalker in shorts" from that same secction is a bit more atrocious for some reason.

19. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    Horrid book. And the cover is misleading; it has Leia in a wedding dress. Her and Han's wedding gets one page, told from Luke's persective. Ugh.

I'm sure it's a lot more enjoyable than anything in the EU.

That's pretty funny.

The image is completely ridiculous.

However, in the NJO, Mara was transformed back into the ice-cold uber-shrew she was before "Union."

20. Sn4tcH

Oct 22, 2004
    *shivers* Stop bringing these images BACK!

And as for that Mara pic... I... I've got nothing. It says everything all by itself.

21. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    *shivers* Stop bringing these images BACK!

Let's add mental images of a naked Luke Skywalker in the goo from Rebel Stand. [face_mischief]

22. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Hey, Rogue_Wookiee, if you want some disturbing Luke images I can send you some. How about Luke in a metal bikini? o_O

AG88

23. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Already got that one. :p

If you really want to disturb me... nah. Better not give you ideas. ;)

24. Silver_mane

Silver_mane Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Hmmm?. Luke in a metal bikini? *ponders that image for an instant then her brain promptly implodes upon itself*

25. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm not the most well-read amongst the EU, uh, readers . . . but I think Corran y Mirax was done pretty well, in a PG-13-ish manner. (Which would be quite the "G" for the "EU sex" thread, from what I've lurked of it!) Well, they were believable, at least, which is more than can be said for most of the combos.

Except for Lando and Nien Nunb in ROTJ, that is. I totally believed that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.