main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What Did Vader Think Happened When Obi-Wan Disappeared?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedi_master_ousley, Jan 7, 2024.

1. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Its far from definitive I'd agree but again that he doesnt say those things and the way he addresses Obi Wan does feel a bit like he's talking in the present tense,

It would I think be very Sith like to undervalue the importance of advice Obi Wan could still give, to only value power.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  2. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    "This man will never stop surprising me".

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  3. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    This scene always bothered me. From Vader's POV, did he even strike Obi-Wan that last time let alone 'kill' him?

Obi-Wan says his line about striking him down and becoming more powerful. He raises his lightsaber as Vader starts to swing his blade. Then *apparently* Obi-Wan simply vanishes as Vader's blade swipes through his now empty robes which fall to the floor leaving Vader to step over and stomp on them *apparently* thinking WTH??

It's the stomping on the empty robes that makes me think that Vader has no clue as to what just happened. I don't think his lightsaber connected with anything other than the fabric of the robes so I don't think Vader would believe he actually struck Obi-Wan down. Since Obi-Wan wasn't physically there anymore maybe that's why Vader later said that he could no longer help Luke as in 'I don't know where he went but he isn't physically here to help the boy anymore'.

Although if Luke heard Ben tell him to run to the Falcon immediately afterward then shouldn't Vader have 'heard' him too? Or perhaps felt Obi-Wan's presence in the Force in that moment?

Shaak Ti and jedi_master_ousley like this.
  4. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Do not underestimate the Force.

It's very possible Obi-Wan was speaking inside Luke's head (we only hear him for our own purposes) and blocked any attempt on Vader's part to sense him.

5. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Yeah my impression at the time was that only Luke can hear him, I felt that his soul became attached to Luke in some way.
    I was surprised when Yoda could communicate with him too in ESB and wondered why. Can Obi Wan potentially communicate with any Force user he wants?

Sarge likes this.
  6. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    As long as their minds are open to hearing him, I would presume so.

I thought it was an interesting aspect of the PT and the Clone Wars series that communication with the dead wasn't something the Old Jedi Order really knew about. Which suggests their understanding of the Force wasn't flawless (despite what some corners of fandom might think).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Shaak Ti and lord_sidious_ like this.
  7. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Vader is speaking in the present tense of the results of an event that happened in the past. Because Vader killed Obi-Wan, he can not help Luke. It doesn't matter if Obi-Wan died last week or last year. In either case, he can no longer help Luke.

Sarge likes this.
  8. ThereseAn'ya1994

ThereseAn'ya1994 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2023
    It's very possible. +the Sith don't know about Force ghosts at this point. By Return of the Jedi, maybe..but not this early on. Your theory sounds valid to me. Besides Vader was convinced that Obi-Wan was completely finished--physically and spiritually--when he was talking with Tarkin later on.

jedi_master_ousley likes this.
  9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    If Vader had seen The Last Jedi he would've thought that Obi-Wan was force-projecting himself from somewhere else lol.

Shaak Ti and jedi_master_ousley like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Vader may have also thought someone snuck ayahuasca into his life-support system.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
  11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  12. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    As for what happened to Obi-Wan, that would have been up to Lucas to explain. His disappearing after the DS duel has neither been addressed nor repeated in any other episode. Yoda vanished or "dissolved" after his death, while Qui-Gon didn't. Ben did, but before his death. The ability to teleport has never again in SW been brought up or shown. I can see why Vader didn't care. But Luke should have. He could in fact directly have asked Ben's ghost what happened. How come he wasn't interested at all?

13. ThereseAn'ya1994

ThereseAn'ya1994 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2023
    Some characters in Legends like An'ya Kuro have the ability to teleport. But I get what you mean: in the movies. But Ben wasn't teleporting. He released himself from the plane of existence. It's very interesting. I don't know if this has ever been brought up before.. However, I don't think Kenobi would have been afraid at least at that point to have wounded as he died. I'm also not sure if Kenobi became a Force ghost before the blade touched him or not. My guess is it's before. Vader was shocked. That's why he poked at Kenobi's clothes afterwards. He had never seen any thing like that.

Shaak Ti and Sith Lord 2015 like this.