main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What does the ST add to the Saga? What is its story purpose?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I remember a kind of satisfaction at the decision to make the films without Lucas as a general feeling from a lot of quarters all the way through TLJ’s premier... and then the more “loyal” Lucas defenders found themselves a lot more comfortable expressing their previous doubts quite a bit louder and having quite a few more allies and “co-belligerents” either suddenly claiming to have shared their opinion or occasionally giving straight up “mea culpas” for defending the new “de-Lucas-ed” Lucasfilm.

TFA and Abrams benefitted from what wound up being a lot of qualified-goodwill - people who we’re sharing “it’s good provided they stick the landing on theses questions and plot-points going forward” - while Rogue One seemed to, weirdly, be an argument for how LFL could be the type of Hollywood assembly line production company that Lucas hated but still maintain artistic integrity as he envisioned.

It was a one-two-punch of TLJ’s divisive choices and reception and Solo’s BTS issues and much colder box-office reception that really damaged LFL’s reputation post-Lucas - while we usually focus on TLJ, I think that Solo’s production and reception reflected badly on TLJ as well (fairly or unfairly). And the result was that for a lot of people, it kind fo felt like *every* major creator in the new LFL lacked Lucas’s power to put together an overall appealing story - Kasdan’s script for Solo doing it no major favors meant that even someone who could be constructed as “old guard” with Kennedy didn’t come through looking good.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  2. Darth Nobunaga

Darth Nobunaga Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2018
    Sounds to me like Mark wasn't one of those people.

And neither was I, at any point before or after the announcement of the ST films. The only thing I wanted was for the new films to at least continue the franchise' appeal of getting creative and going to new narrative places, even if Lucas was no longer involved. TFA proved me wrong pretty quickly, and I bowed out of the trilogy before I could be subjected to more of the same nostalgia-baiting and vapid characters. Even as far back as 2015, I knew could see the creatively-stunted and narratively incompetent direction that these films were going in, and I wouldn't be missing out on anything by skipping them.

Reading the novelizations for TLJ and TROS proved me more right than I ever wanted to be.

3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Lucas’ OT is still the best Star Wars story for me, but I don’t need him involved in everything.

I have no issue in giving other people a chance to tell stories in the franchise, the ST mostly works for me, but RO and The Mandalorian are fantastic and show the potential for letting others have a chance.

4. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Likewise. Star Wars is George Lucas. (And Ralph Mcquerrie, who gets shafted....at least some of the st payed some respect to his work)

With that said he did sell the company so others could tell their own stories. It turned out he got burned expecting them to finish with his. And let's be fair, Lucas is on record as saying he started production on 7 through 9 to sweeten the sale, to add value.(as far as I'm aware).

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    You're wrong. I was there at one of the press conferences. He clearly wasn't happy. Not once did Hamill state he was ok with Luke's characterisation in TLJ. Not once did he state that he agreed with Johnson's take on Luke Skywalker. What he did state was that he got to a point where he just conceded. This is a line that Hamill reiterates in most interviews I've seen. That's it. There's no requirement to pretend that Hamill was on board.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    wobbits, Miriedis, mtt02263 and 12 others like this.
  6. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    The buildup to the ST is a long one.
    The idea of an ST was talked about in the early 80's.
    Then after RotJ not much happened with SW.
    Then came the SE and then the PT.
    Then Lucas said that he never had any plans for the ST and that it was all an invention by the media.

So there would not be any more SW films and certainly not any with Han, Luke and Leia.

Then an ST was announced, Disney bought SW so now hype was on.

TFA was overall received quite well. It's reception was not, in my opinion, as mixed as TPM, AotC or TLJ.
    Plus it made a huge amount of money.
    So it was an event.

Then came RO. That had a bit of an uphill climb, people saying "What is the point?", there would be no known characters in big roles and then there was some behind the scenes troubles.
    But the trailer with Vader in it built hype and the film did very well. Again reception was overall good and while it's BO was not up to TFA, it made a lot.

TLJ's reception was more mixed and I don't think it was only some "haters" that just screamed more loudly.
    The BO, while big, did not hold as well and there was a drop.
    Then all the trouble with Solo and it doing badly at the BO.
    That I agree with @godisawesome , was a one-two punch that did some damage.
    That behind the scenes trouble was all too common and went as far as the directors leaving/getting fired very late in production.
    Plus the decline of the BO.
    With RoS, you had even more drama, directors getting hired and then leaving.
    Creating the impression that there was a serious lack of plan over at LFL.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. Although there have been some weak points, IMO Rogue One, Solo and Mandalorian are great examples of how when the right team is working on a SW film, it can turn out fantastic.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  8. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    The Corporate Sector Authority would’ve been an interesting evolution from trilogy to trilogy. Those who always win no matter what. Who benefits from empire and conflict? It’s analogous to neoliberal policy and political capture by oligarchs in the present. First introduced in Brian Daley’s Han Solo at Stars’ End, I think. The politics of the New Republic succumbs to the powerful economic interests of the past. Multisystem (not multinational) Corporate Authority like Santhe/Sienar Systems, Big Tech interests and particularly galactic finance. Corporate dictatorship as the enemy of democracy seems to be a relevant topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenneth Morgan and Darth PJ like this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Sounds like "Star Wars" meets "Rollerball". Interesting.

Immortiss likes this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, I think there’s one thing most fans can agree on, whether they liked the ST or not: being glad it’s over.

11. CakeR

CakeR Jedi Padawan

Aug 10, 2020
    I think the OT was mostly about a return to the idealistic fairy tales of old which Lucas felt was important in the time of gritty gangster films. The PT was more of a deconstruction of those fairy tales and presented a story that was more important during a time of nationalism and war. The ST is then a story that starts with that gritty and 'realistic' deconstruction of the fairy tale (no way the New Republic would have worked, obviously fascism would rise again, Luke would realistically be a deeply scarred man who would be terrified of telling his nephew that he was the grandson of Darth Vader, that grandson would never live up to the legends that raised him, etc). But in the end the ST goes back to the idealism of the OT (Rey and Yoda give Luke faith again, the galaxy comes together to stop the rise of fascism, Ben Solo decides to do the right thing and help Rey, etc).

StardustSoldier likes this.
  12. The Lonely Lizard

The Lonely Lizard Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2020
    Well said. Such a pity that some people who hate the Star Wars Prequels and can’t accept that fans like them also can’t accept that they like the MCU and think it’s better than or equal to Star Wars (at least over the Sequel Trilogy) and have to be such indecent scum about it.
    A majority of the Marvel Cinematic Universe films are great. Phase 2 being a dumpster fire is total BS. Guardians of the Galaxy is highly regarded as the best Marvel movie ever and even has George Lucas’s love too, pet director, James Gunn ()

You guys may not see this, but, the MCU is critical to Hollywood’s survival. Because when The Mandalorian Season 2 ends on Disney+ in November following it’s October debut, what can Disney put out to keep people from unsubscribing? The answer is Marvel Studios’ WandaVision, because that’s the only MCU series that got done with filming before the pandemic and is in post-production (https://mcucosmic.com/2020/04/04/what-does-the-new-phase-4-slate-mean-for-disney/, https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/h...s-and-the-czech-republic-reopens-for-filming/) as it remains on track to hit Disney+ in December as planned (https://thedisinsider.com/2020/07/17/wandavision-still-expected-to-make-its-december-premiere-date/). And, I argue WandaVision is important because if it’s going to be a 9-episode 6-hour series, it has the chance to be the most creative and insane thing ever made for television as the whole series apparently cost $225M to make altogether (since Hollywood Reporter said the MCU shows will cost $25M per episode, $10-$15M higher than the SW shows) and it sets up arguably the most hyped movie in Phase 4 of the MCU yet, “Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness”, which could be the first billion dollar film post-pandemic.

So, the hate against the MCU better stop now and not go on anymore, because if it does, I assure you that there will be fire and fury like never dealt with before.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2020
    Shadao, 2Cleva and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  13. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    I love the MCU and consider the "Infinity Saga" a highly satisfying experience, far, far, far better than the ST. And I`m looking forward to the MCU TV projects. However, fire and brimstones won`t reign down if people don`t like it and don`t have an interest in it and say so. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2020
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Relax buddy. We're not wrong about the MCU. Some of us just have a different opinion than you do. And are you seriously threatening "fire and fury like never dealt with before" at posters here for disagreeing with you about the MCU? What the heck does that mean, and why are you making Trump-style threats? This is the most unhinged post I have yet seen here, and that's saying a lot!

And for the record, I don't even like the ST, so keep me out of your dumb ST vs. MCU slugfest.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Umm... what? I assure you that statements like this are not productive or welcome here.

Having said that, let's all try to stay on topic in here.

16. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016

LEGO Life Day special with the characters from the Sequel Trilogy will arrive on Disney Plus in November

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    its not a bad analogy to go with WWI PT, WWII OT, and modern rise of alt right fascism as the ST. The First Order being somewhat inept bloodthirsty unsubtle Imperial cosplayers really sells that last bit. Although kinda gets a wrench thrown into the analogy since Palpatine is behind it all and had his Final Order fleet lying in wait. Does that mean Hitler's head in a jar is behind everything happening now?

grd4, Jedi Merkurian and Shadao like this.
  18. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    I've never been able to watch more than 30 minutes of any MCU film [ducks and runs for cover].

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Ditto. All I wanted/expected from disney's acquisition, was new star wars stories.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  20. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Yes.

21. KyloLukeLeia

KyloLukeLeia Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 10, 2020
    This is a great thread topic and something I struggle with immensly with 7,8,9. I actually enjoy 7,8,9 as standalone movies as I think they are all well done. The problem is when I watch them in the context as Part 7, Part 8 and Part 9 of the Skywalker Saga, that is where the narrative completely falls apart. Maybe there was no way to tie these movies together after Lucas made a definitive starting and ending in Episode 1 and 6. The arc of Anakin and Palpatine are fully fleshed out in the PT/OT, and and Luke essentially becomes the hero of the story midway through.

Part of me thinks Disney made a mistake of trying to tie to the story to 1-6 and should just told a new story yet still using our beloved characters. The point is you could still have Luke, Leia and Han passing the torch to Rey, Finn and Poe but do it in a way that didn't have anything to do with the past. No talk of Vader, no talk of the First Order rising from the Empire, no return of Palpatine. Just a new threat, a new story, and you transition the old to the new characters. Instead, they retroactively made Luke, Leia and Han THE reason why the galaxy is in the state it's in, so that forced them to keep going back to the past instead of pointing to the future.

22. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It was a humongous mistake IMHO... and you’re right, directly tying the OT3 into events only served to undermine the entire narrative, as well as the OT3 characters. Lucasfilm wanted their cake and to eat it...

23. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Think Adolf Hitler of the Twilight Zone. Specifically the episode "He's Alive":

That quote really sounds like something old Sidious would say.

Also, this moral of the story:

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. StardustSoldier

StardustSoldier Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 24, 2019
    I had a good laugh at this. "Fire and fury like never dealt with before" kind of sounds like something Darth Maul would say. :p

It's been interesting to see, in light of the ST being finished, how much debate and conflicting opinions there's been about where people wanted the story to go after ROTJ, and how controversial some of the post-ROTJ story twists have been. Perhaps that's part of the problem Lucasfilm would've had to face no matter what; no way to please everyone.

25. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I feel that’s true in the broad spectrum, but a bit of a hyperbolic fallacy in actual practice.

Yes, there would always be critics of any new direction after ROTJ... but I don’t think it was at all guaranteed to be any further than the deviation from regular, Non-Star Wars affiliated media, where a few killjoys are always expected and where group consensus is usually acknowledged as being the closest thing to its actual reception.

For instance, the sheer popularity and positive reception of The Mandalorian infers to me that you can, for all intents and purposes, exclude its tiny fraction of naysayers from the actual reception of the show thus far - that they’re comparable to the naysayers of Black Panther in that they exist but aren’t worth considering in evaluation or analysis. This is a greater consensus positivity around it than arguably even Rogue One, the best received movie in the Disney era in hindsight, and clearly above TFA, which was also by far and away the best received of the Sequel Trilogy films.

There’s a lot of reasons for why the ST is now much more fo a minefield of let-downs, fandom schisms, and bitterness than it started out as, and why TM has ridiculously better reception - and it’s not just fanservice, using Legends and other material for inspiration, or having a singular creative team instea do multiple.

Some of it is just having a better understanding of both the audience and how the story idea will play, and trying to maximize impact versus messing up some part of that formula and making a more “steep” and “exclusionary” story.

For instance, I’d say that one actual mistake in TLJ is that it treated a bunch of its choices as exclusionary of others, and that exacerbated some of the already present weaknesses of TFA to a fatal extent: cashing in all the expectations and hype for Luke on a story that unnecessarily excluded many people’s hopes and interpretations of the character when the story’s dramatic and characterization goals didn’t require that kind of exclusionary principle.

And that was with Luke. The way Kylo wound up getting treated wound up excluding most Finn fans, many Rey fans, and many Skywalker family fans from being able to enjoy the story... and again, the goals (whatever they may have always been or changed to half-way through) often did it require excluding those fans from enjoying the story.

Now, you could maybe argue that “trying to please everyone” is a bad idea for an artist... but honestly, this is escapist pop-culture entertainment. You hate having to consider everyone’s responses to your stuff? Maybe don’t make pop-culture entertainment.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    mtt02263, Shadao, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.