main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What does the ST add to the Saga? What is its story purpose?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Jun 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Romance in the ST is an absolute joke, because all of the characters are poorly-written, one-dimensional cardboard, tossed to-and-fro by indecisive directors/screenwriters. They make Anakin/Padme feel like a godsend by comparison, because at least that relationship knew it was trying to be a tragic Shakespearean romance.

The ST, at best, latches onto all the most annoying YA tropes and executes them terribly. Any time I try to apply romantic context to the ST characters, it just becomes awkward and ridiculous.

I hope that moving forward, we get more Kanan/Hera style romance and less Rey/Kylo sort of stuff. Also, what was done with Finn and Rose in both TLJ and TROS was one of the most awkward, cringy relationships I've ever seen.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And “she’s just not into Finn physically” as an excuse to go to Kylo is shallow and not of quality. Because there was nothing about Kylo that was quality other than physicality.

I agree, nobody owes anyone romantic affection. But the ST treats Kylo as if he is owed that. It would have been better if they had stuck to side romances like Finn/Rose and Poe/Zorri.

And @Def Trooper : YES. Kanan/Hera is by far the best romance in Star Wars, of any era and any genre.

3. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    But Rey wasn't interested in Finn even before Kylo showed up so as @Bob Effette suggested, she wouldn't be interested in him Kylo or no Kylo. Maybe she would get interested in Poe (as TFA novelization and CT script suggested) maybe not but she wouldn't be interested in Finn.

However, that wasn't the point of my post, The point was how come they didn't see that he had no character arc beside being the third wheel? certianly they noticed that there was no payoff to what he tried to tell Rey. Certainly they noticed that he was yelling Rey too much (and Woo hoo for the matter). Certainly they noticed that he and jannah didn't get any conclusion/payoff together after bringing down that SD. They cannot be that different from an average movie-goer who noticed all those problems and then some that aren't even about his character. Yet here we are. So my question is, how do they watch movie cuts? is it just general story they are focused on or do they also focus on character by character? I really don't know but would like to know.

@Def Trooper Eh, Kanera is trash too. He dies, she gives birth to his son. That's a pretty tired trope. Single mom raising the glorified hero's legacy. maybe some happy ending romance for a change? ST was full of unhappy ones:

Ben dies. RIP Reylo.
    Han dies. Then Leia dies. Rip Hanleia.
    Finn and Rose dropped like hot potato. RIP Finnrose..
    Poe dumps Zorii then Zorii dumps Poe. RIP Porii.
    Jannah's gonna leave with lando (who may be her father). Rip Finnah.
    Finn yelling for Rey who doesn't yell back. RIP Finnrey.
    Finn and Poe given female sidekicks to drive the point they are totally straight. RIP Storm Pilot

Hilarious. I don't know where they were going with this but it's pretty funny.

4. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Which is why I said quite clearly that even when Kylo is not on the scene, there is still no romantic interest shown in Finn. She shows no attraction to him in that way. There is no love triangle where Finn loses out because of Rey's apparent penchant for edgy emo guys over him.

5. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Finn wants Rey to be his girlfriend, but then the remainder of their story plays out like brother/sister.

People overplay and project *all* of this romance stuff into the story imo. I find it hard to believe that I'm in the minority in thinking that Rey was thinking "I want to help and communicate with you"(to kylo in the hut) and not "let's take a break from the star war and hook up". In fact, moments later she tells Luke she is going to kylo to save him.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t think there was a love triangle either (and I would have noticed, I can’t stand love triangles, including that idiotic one in ANH) but my point stands.

If there had been no obviously-romantic (and no, I don’t give a crap what the novel says about it) kiss at the end, I could agree with you more.

7. Def Trooper

Apr 6, 2019
    Johnson himself seemed to think that, based on his comment about sex scenes in Star Wars and whatnot.

8. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Of the footage I have seen where he makes the comment, he was obviously taking the **** which was evident by the audience at that panel breaking into laughter with him.

9. Def Trooper

Apr 6, 2019
    I'd be more inclined to buy that he wasn't trying to imply romantic attraction if he didn't put in an out-of-place shirtless scene, and if he'd given Rey more of a reason to believe in Kylo other than a magical finger touch.

10. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    There is a facet of intimacy but people project that to only indicate one single thing. There is a sense of attraction but this attraction revolves around this mystery of the force they are both experiencing and the overall circumstance.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wish we had learned more about the force in the ST :(

12. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jedi Master Frizzy Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Well we kinda did with Luke teaching Rey about the force.

13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    What did Luke teach Rey that we didn't already know?

14. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    What did Luke teach Rey about the force, period, really???

15. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    You can use it to lift rocks.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I'm just relieved that the ST era is over. So much new material to look forward to. It feels like 2014 again.

17. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Same here as now we begin to cover the era between the OT and the ST.

18. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    which means sooner or later they'll include younger versions of some exisiting (ST) characters. In short, no chance of moving onto something really new for a while because they invested too much to just drop all that.

I think it's inevitable that they'll have to cast young legacy characters too. Even though Solo didn't do well. But we are talking D+ so that's different. less at state plus they wouldn't be central. Maybe not right away but the story will demand to show what they were doing in that period.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  19. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    Of course, and a new movie isn't until 4-5 years. But we also have high republic. I can see young Ben solo and Luke on adventures.

20. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    And casting young Luke is going to be a really big deal. They are going to plan that one carefully after they shot themselves in the foot with Solo. People want to see Luke between OT and ST so younger casting is inevitable. I'm sure some stuff will be covered in animated shows but they know that live action is the real deal. And if it works, they'll have a gold mine for a very long time.

RetropME likes this.
  21. Jedi Master Frizzy

Jan 15, 2018
    the safe bet is the animation. Live action of legacy characters not played by their original actors can be fickle thing.

cerealbox likes this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If you want to discuss potential future movies or TV series, we have other forums for those discussions.

I’d be happy to lock this thread if on-topic discussion has been exhausted. Even before this tangent about future stuff, this thread has already been pretty off-topic.

godisawesome likes this.
  23. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    The more I think about it, the more I cannot see what the ST added to the franchise. Except a lot of unnecessary chaos.

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    The ST adds the idea that you can look past somebody being a mass murderer if they’re hot and have the same Force powers as you.

25. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It adds nothing but an insight into how Luke, Leia and Han ultimately died. Disney/Lucasfilm (in terms of the ST specifically) has offered little other than a rather cynical, corporate and small minded/closed take on Star Wars (IMHO).

RetropME, Deliveranze, 2Cleva and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.