main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Senate What is the most problematic media you consume?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rew, Nov 4, 2022.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    This whole thread: Yeah we are all bad and consume things that are problematic.

Watto: You are bad!

Thread: Yeah we know...

Watto: pft you're so sanctimonious.

Pot, kettle, etc.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Not a trap. I just saw this question posted elsewhere online and was curious about how it would play here. Also, confession is good for the soul and all that.

But that's not to say this thread may have been a terrible ****ing idea. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Why are you making this about gender? It's bizarre.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Because he's talking to all the men in this thread respectfully and then telling the two women posting that we're morally bankrupt. He's the one singling out the women differently, whether he realizes he's doing it or not.

5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Lol. Too funny.

Cheers y'all, peace and love.

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Way too personal - PG

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2022
  7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I identify as a genderqueer woman and I don't think having that identity challenged is appropriate for these boards. I think your challenging my ways of identifying as queer is what's odd.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2022
  8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    women on the internet? not falling for that one again.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's also not appropriate to take a conversation about Michael Jackson and turn it into a gender thing.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You clearly didn't read the thread as this was about Tom Cruise not Michael Jackson. You just want to do a drive-by to tell me I'm "not queer enough" which is terrible.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Why did you put 'not queer enough' in quotes? I never said that.

12. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It was 100% what you were implying. You asked me if I'm actually genderqueer. You implied I can't be both a woman AND genderqueer, which is false. And harmful. You don't get to arbitrate how people identify.

I mean you literally said I am identifying as a woman because it's "convenient". This is incredibly insulting.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Look, I was just coming here to make an unsavory joke about Hitler’s paintings, but I’ll see myself out.

14. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    We’re basically having the same conversation now, itt, that we had when the cancel culture thread started. It’s alright. These discussions are important.

As for the latest turn in here, could we please not engage in another solojones pile-on? Rachel, I think Watto quoted you and Tracey because that was around the time he started participating in the thread. I don’t think it’s because you’re women. It’s just bad timing. Watto’s position is consistent from what I remember when he posted in the cancel culture thread (or was it imdb for pedos? Idr).

sj’s gender preference doesn’t have anything to do with the thread—could we not put it under the microscope. Sheezus…

solojones and Rew like this.
  15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Thank you. I pointed out something that happened to feel gender specific to me... And suddenly I'm being told I am basically lying about being queer for convenience.

Sorry to Watto if I made an incorrect assumption. But I don't see why I should have my queerness put on trial.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  16. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I don't think this whole thread is "we are all bad" at all and I think that's projecting a fair bit. I don't think there's anything at issue with what I answered for this, it's just stuff that I think there's other people that would have an issue with. Not that I'm some tortured soul for liking it.

[​IMG]

Sarge and solojones like this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hmm see I think everyone is bad to a degree but maybe that's just my worldview bleeding in. I think it's impossible to avoid supporting bad stuff.

18. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
  19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    sj, I don't know where you're getting the idea that I'd be out to bash women or queer people. It's weird and a bit derailing. You weren't the first person I addressed in this thread. I will address what I want to address. And I read the one-two between you and Tracy and both posts just seemed strange to me. Because you are both usually moral crusaders, and this kind of deflates all of that in one go.

Anyway, just my opinion.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ok I retract that then sorry.

But I disagree that I'm a "moral crusader". I want people to care for each other. But that's not mutually exclusive with thinking people suck and all do bad things.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Does that make the media itself problematic though?

I'm thinking more about consuming material that is itself problematic, with racist/sexist/homophobic jokes/writing or undertones

Like the fact I still watch a lot of old school British comedy shows, with jokes that wouldn't be acceptable now. Or some of the old school WB & Disney cartoons.
    The content itself is the problem there, a creator being a nasty person doesn't make their work bad by default.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Sarge and Lowbacca_1977 like this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Firefly. Still shiny.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Buffy is a great show
    Avengers 1 is a great movie.

That won't change because Whedon soiled his own legacy

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Page 1: what's the most problematic media you consume

Page 5: gender wars

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    I think the problem where the likes of Joss Whedon and Warren Ellis, also other comics writers like Brian Wood, is they leveraged diversity. They sold their work as having strong, diverse characters.

So when it comes out how bad they treat people, personally and professionally, there is a sense of being conned by them.