main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub What Is Thy Bidding My Master? *Darth Vader Fanclub* (All Are Welcome)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Chancellor Yoda, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Are these Ralph McQuarrie concept art?

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Eager to see what the comics do with the TESB timeline, specifically what used to be Shadows of the Empire.

3. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
  4. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

Brian Rood is the artist (I think)

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Snowy owl

Snowy owl Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2020
    Hello~

I am a huge fan John Williams and Star Wars soundtrack as a composition student!

And I'd love the dramatic story, especially Star.Wars.Episode 3, Anakin Skywalker.

Then, I made music for the Darth Vader.

Last, I will learn a lot of stuff from Star Wars. I am so, too young!!

Thank you, enjoy~

6. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  7. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Well done! Eastwest hollywood orch? I can tell you've listened to the trailer for The Force Awakens carefully with that opening, even down to subtly introducing the tonic note in the dominant chord at 0:49. Nice touch.

I like the little Williamsy moments like the celli trems at 1:28 and the descending notes in the brass accentuated by the bass drum in the climax leading to that soft harp ending is wonderfully effective.

The strings do suffer a bit from the notorious sucking effect (eg around 1:10) where the legato arts aren't quite joining.

Did you compress it? I think it needs more dynamic movement and 'breathing'. Example: the oboe. That's very high for an oboe and playing up there for that extended time without breathing isn't practical without the oboist turning very red and exploding. The phrasing needs to be clear so you can hear the human behind the performance otherwise it sounds programmed and midi.

Balance wise it's pretty good. One place that jumped out at me was where the woodwinds are doubling the violins around 2:30. The winds seem oddly balanced there but maybe that's more of a sampled orchestra limitation than anything; solo sampled winds in louder passages sometimes stick out uncomfortably.

Did you use a string ens patch in there (along with Vlns1, 2 violas etc)? I can hear some inner voice movement going on but it does frequently sound rather string ensemble pad-like. I'm thinking maybe you programmed them in rather than played each part live. More dynamic variation and voice movement would really help give a more organic feel to the strings. Ride CC1 and CC11 to bring out dynamics more to help avoid that static string pad sound and bring out the inner voices (eg the 2nd vlns around 1:03). But it's as much a question of making the cellos and violas move as anything.

I hope this helps. There's so much that is good about it and you've nailed the passion. It's a terrific first step that I hope leads to great things. Keep posting.

PS: Is that a bowed glass at the end?

8. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks for sharing, I loved it. :vader::redsaber:

Master_Rebado and Ithorians like this.
  9. Snowy owl

Snowy owl Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2020

OH~ I really appreciate your such a kind reply!!

This is from Spitfire Audio. And I tried the sound perfectly but my experience is not enough. So your reply so much helps me. Thank you.

PS: at the end is LABS from Spitfire Audio :)

Master_Rebado, Ithorians and Blobofat like this.
  10. Blobofat

Dec 15, 2000
    Spitfire. I wouldn't have guessed! Is that the new BBC orch? I use the Studio Orchestra and Albions for tv and jingle work but don't own much else by them.

11. Snowy owl

Snowy owl Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2020
    I have Spitfire symphonic strings, WoodWinds, Brass, and also Percussion too. Could you tell me why most professional people use Studio one rather than use the symphonic ?

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  12. Blobofat

Dec 15, 2000
    I think most composers have a balance of drier and wet libraries but when it comes to the studio series the reason I opt for it is because it's dry. TV work doesn't go so well with the big libraries with a baked-in hall sound, not unless you're scoring some Deep Planet type doc. You can print the stems dry then send them to the engineer who'll add any verb or fx needed so it gives them a lot of flexibility. It helps it fit in with the dialogue etc more easily, less intrusive and, in the case of the Spitfire Studio library, you can get a very in-vogue Nordic sound out if it because of the range of softer articulations available. Also, it can handle more popular and folk styles better. But it's 100% not for John Williams stuff!

13. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Massive darth vader fan. Was on the eucantina.net forums but glad to be on here now.

14. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Welcome to the boards (and one of the best threads on them :p).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

15. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Hello and welcome. [:D] :vader:

Feel free to post anything Vader related like art, videos, discussion points etc...

16. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    Should I buy volume 2 of Darth Vader or volume 2 of Darth Vader Lord of the Sith? [face_thinking]

17. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
  18. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    I read all of the marvel darth vader titles and am hoping we see new stuff soon when things get better with this virus. They are grear comics. You can almost hear James Earl Jones with everything he says. For those who haven't read it vader down is amazing

19. darthhelinith

Feb 10, 2009
    I've only read volume 1 of both series so far but that's because I prefer to buy and read collected volumes rather than individual issues.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Chancellor Yoda and DarthIshyZ like this.
  20. Merlyn Emerald

Merlyn Emerald Jedi Master star 3

Jan 3, 2019
    I've read all the Vader comics released so far! I look forward to the release of new parts. Where are they?... GIVE ME THE VADER COMICS! Gimme, gimme, gimme!:_|
    I'm sad and broken... without my beloved character... =((

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  21. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
  22. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    This is really great, to see so much activity in our beloved thread!

First, coming from the music world myself, I'm very excited to see such a exciting composition and such well thought and informed comments, @Snowy owl @Blobofat!

@darthhelinith, I think you should, did you like the first one? I've been waiting for that Volume 2 hardcover since last year, it comes with 2 very interesting story arcs and a one issue story worth checking too. Plus, I got the feeling that, as the issues went by, the art became better and better, although it could be just a personal perception...

And @Darthvader1975, you are most welcome, great to see Lord Vader fans joining in!!

23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i still have that case. i just hope it is not melted in the box in the garage.

24. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
  25. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004