main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What prequel references belong in the first trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dark Ferus, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    A lot of important information and characters from the prequels are excluded from the original trilogy. What information (adding scenes, dialogue, locations, characters from prequels) would you include in the theatrical releases that match with the prequels.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    I wouldn't add anything tbh ... certainly not now all of a sudden .

Avnar likes this.
  3. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Here is what I think would fit...
    Episode IV A New Hope
    A Senate scene where Palpatine announces the end of the Senate on Coruscant, and contacts Tarkin and Darth Vader (I want to hear the Imperial March) on the Death Star, possibly accomanied by Sly Moore and Mas Amedda. On the Lars family moisture farm, it might show the tombs of Cleigg Lars and Shmi Skywalker, if only to remind fans of Darth Vader's turn. Before he sets out to find Luke, Obi Wan should speak with the ghost of Qui Gon Jinn (played by Laurence Olivier in the original release, then replaced by Liam Neeson). Also, Obi Wan should mention Qui Gon and midichlorians to Luke. Bail Organa (played possibly by Ricardo Montalban, replaced by Jimmy Smits) can be shown on Alderaan, and Leia silently communicates with him through the Force right before the planet explodes. Across the Stars should be played as Vader senses Luke's force powers.

Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
    Darth Vader could mention Jango Fett to Boba Fett on the Executor, although this would likely be fan service. The spirit of Qui Gon Jinn (Laurence Olivier) and optionally Mace Windu (Scatman Crothers) should appear on Dagobah along with Obi Wan and Yoda. When Darth Vader and Palpatine (playing his theme) speak, it could show the Emperor on Coruscant in the Chancellor's office, with Sly Moore and Mas Amedda (I know he was with Prince Xizor in the EU). After the communication ends, Palpatine tells them of his plan to replace Vader with Luke. While Luke and Vader are speaking through the Force, Padme (she could have been played by Carrie Fisher's mother, Debbie Reynolds) should be reaching to Vader from beyond the grave.

Episode VI Return of the Jedi
    Qui Gon Jinn (Laurence Olivier) should speak to Luke along with Obi Wan on Dagobah. More details about the Clone Wars, such as Palpatine's deceit and seduction of Anakin, should be explained, as well as Padme's story. On the Death Star, Darth Plagueis (Vincent Price) should haunt Palpatine, warning him that he had underestimated Plagueis' ability to save himself and that he would not live to see the end of the rebellion (foreshadowing the rise of the First Order). Across the Stars or Shmi's theme should play as Luke tries to reason with Vader on Endor. As Luke is being tortured, Vader should here the voices of Padme (Debbie Reynolds), Obi Wan, and Shmi, before turning against the Emperor. During the celebration scene, Luke should see the spirts of Obi Wan, Qui Gon and Yoda, and ask where his father is, but Yoda explains that while Anakin did good in the end, he could not achieve spiritual immortality after a lifetime of choosing the dark side.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The originals are sacrosanct, IMO. I'd be far more inclined to rewrite the PT to match the OT.

Fereus, are you actually George Lucas?

5. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    No but this is just hypothetical. I myself have a very different idea for the prequels, as I explained in a post elsewhere, but this is for the existing prequels

And if I were George Lucas, Anakin would be a Force Ghost and I think not

And also, I suggest several famous actors alive in the 70s and 80s to play prequel characters, and George Lucas rarely casted famous actors.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Once I decided that the PT wasn't for me, all the backstory was back in my head - Like it used to be! I wouldn't include any of it...

DarthCricketer, KaleeshEyes and Sarge like this.
  7. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Everybody's opinion is equally valid

8. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    None should be added. It would disrupt the flow of the stories and would not enhance the movies in any way.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    None. It's just... Ridiculous to edit and reedit movies to accommodate films released two decades after the fact. There's nothing in the prequels that's imperative to be mentioned in the originals, anyway. There's nothing there that would enhance the films in any way, and the films working as films is far more important than them slotting seamlessly into a overarching story that was patchworked together over decades.

10. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Sometimes I feel bad when someone creates a fun hypothetical involving something prequel-related in the OT and all of us OOT-ers shut it down with a resounding "Git yer prequel references off muh lawn OT!". I guess we're just very protective of our OOT lol. Although, I think that a better hypothetical that wouldn't ruffle any feathers would be something like: If the Episodes I-III that we have now had been released first, how would you construct Episodes IV-VI to follow them?

11. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I think because we struggle with the PT (because it feels like it's from a different universe and not the one we love) the PT fans must struggle with the OT too... So they want to get as much of their world into the OT so it feels like the one they love! Because if I were asked the question in reverse I would want all the ships replaced in the PT with banged up 70's ones, I would want NO cgi, I would want dirt thrown on everyone, Anakin re-casted etc etc etc

They both feel like completely different trilogies - Not part of 1 saga. Funny thing is - The fan base (over the last few years) has been split in 3 (those that only love the OT, those that only love the PT and those that love the lot) Expect that to change big time with all these additional films coming out... There will be people that love ROTS, TESB, TFA, TFA2 and Young Han Solo for e.g. and will hate/ignore the rest. There will be 15 splinter groups who only love certain combinations haha :cool:

For me? Even if I hate every film that comes out I will still have the OT + TFA (so far)

DrDre, Sarge and theMaestro like this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think this is an overall better discussion. The issue is the originals already have been altered to accommodate the prequels, so this is always along the lines of "What more should be changed?" But "If Episodes IV-VI where made later, how would they be different?" allows for a bit more leeway and a bit less frustration. For one thing, removing all hints of sexual tension between Luke and Leia, up to and including the kiss in TESB.

TX-20 and theMaestro like this.
  14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Obi-Wan: For 1000 years, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Galactic Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire. We thought we had wiped out our sworn enemies, the Sith, a millenia ago, but in truth they went into hiding. Senator Palpatine, secretly Darth Sidious, master of the Sith, created conflicts to get himself elected Chancellor. He then framed the Jedi for everything, declared himself Emperor, and transformed the Republic into the Empire. He purged the Jedi, leaving nobody to oppose him. The Sith now rule the galaxy through the Empire.

Luke: How did my father die?

Obi-Wan: Darth Vader, apprentice of Darth Sidious, helped his master hunt down the Jedi. Your father died at Vader's hands. Now the Jedi are all but extinct.

TX-20 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  15. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It would have been cool to have some sort of reference to the departure from Jedi orthodoxy that becomes defined in the Prequel trilogy.

Specifically the fact that Luke does not begins to learn of the force until he's ten years older than at least one "too old" former padawan from the Jedi Order in the Old Republic era.

As it is, Yoda's reluctance in ESB seems just like and old man being difficult or protective, rather than him being heistant but nevertheless defying a fundamental guideline that he had lived by for centuries..

darklordoftech and Conkhead_12 like this.
  16. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    I don't understand why Luke has to go to live with Owen and Beru. If I was Yoda, I'd tell Obi-Wan to take Luke to stay at Tatooine, and start his training when he was young.

17. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016

That is an aspect which I believe is being evolved with the sequel trilogy. Not only is Rey left on a harsh, unforgiving planet without her parents, she has no would -be mentor to prompt , initiate or even narrate her emergence and supposed destiny as a force user.

18. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I wouldn't care for scenes to be added to the movies, but adding effects and Haydenkin was cool.

Jedi_Darth_Ren_lol likes this.
  19. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I don't know what needs to be changed although I would like a version of the 1997 digitally remastered version without all the alterations made to make it compatible with the Prequels. Leave the Trilogy as in and then have your Saga consisting of all 6-7 movies and have as many as you like. In my opinion the Originals and the 1997 remastered version are the greatest of them all with particular emphasis on the 1997 editions.

20. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I wouldn't change anything just for the sake of tying it up with a sequel/prequel. That would be a mistake, I think.

I get the feeling that with TFA they actively avoided using placeholders that need to later be retconned or rather weakly excused further down the line (like Ben's "young jedi named Darth Vader" story). Which is fine.

21. Rock-N-Roll Jedi

Rock-N-Roll Jedi Jedi Knight

Feb 29, 2016
    None. The OT did just fine without the existence of the prequels. There is no need to cram prequel references into the existing story for the sake of 'continuity'.

22. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    I should say that the premise of this thread is a bit flawed, because the events of the P.T. were based on things described in the O.T., and consequently, after the P.T. was made, those things now serve to reference the P.T. No film should have to be modified to fit with films made after it; this violates the simple methods of writing a multi-part story.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Not really a prequel reference per say but I'd like to see a scene inserted of Sidious disbanding the Senate. Would be cool to see the reactions of the senators.

ThisHurricane and darklordoftech like this.
  24. Rogue Eclipse

Rogue Eclipse Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2016
    I don't want more retcon in the OT, I think all the references that one could ever need are already there, the two trilogies are a reference to one another. We don't need more, if you want more do a fan edit of the OT full of the prequels, be my guest, but I really don't want another special edition with even more stuff.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  25. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    We already have all that we need( obi-wans references to the clone wars and Anakin, yoda's comments about Anakin, and Anakin's saber). I am a prequel fan and to me especially with how lucas subtlely introduces a more ot aesthic in Revenge of the sith. Rots does a very good job of showing a transition from the art deco style of tpm and aotc towards the ultitarian imperial style.the films tie in well enough already

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.