main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What Size Roles Do You Want The Original Cast To Have?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Darkslayer, Apr 28, 2015.

?

What Size Roles Do You Want The Original Cast To Have?

1. Large Roles

36.4%
  2. Medium Roles

15.2%
  3. Small Roles

18.2%
  4. Depends On The Character

6.1%
  5. Whatever The Story Requires

24.2%
  1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I know the popular idea is to see as much of them as possible, but although I'd like that too, I voted for them to have only minor/supporting roles. The reason is because, in order to become invested in the new trilogy, I want to get to know the younger generation as much as possible in TFA especially.

Wouldnt mind seeing more of Luke in Ep. VIII though...

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The ST is the very last time we will see these actors reprising their roles. There will be a monumental amount of new SW-films in the future, probably for decades just like the Marvel comic book movies, so let the old actors shine for these three. It is the only - last - chance for it.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Exactly. Unless they have a couple second cameo in Episode 10. They were in the last few minutes of ROTS so if they did another trilogy I can see their last few moments being at the start of Episode 10.

4. tsk91

tsk91 Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2015
    I want the OT trio to have a substantial impact on this trilogy, not necessarily have lots of screen time.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    This is my feeling as well. This is the last of the classic cast, so don't spare them. The new characters can go on from here till Doomsday,but chances are are this will be it for the Big Three.

6. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    If they play their cards right it can be done such that the screen-time and importance of the roles doesn't feel contrived or too heavy handed.

What I mean is that they could take the approach of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Where we get quite a few story lines and characters, both old and new each tolling in their own way with enough development and screen time.

Luke could be Gandalf or Elrond (very important to set the story in motion but limited screen time)
    Leia can be Galandriel (again plays an important role and is referenced by the characters but very little screen time)
    Han/Chewie could be Theoden or Faramir (in terms of imprtance to the story or events not the actual character)
    Then the new cast would take the roles of Aragorn, Frodo, Sam, Gollum (the real doers of the story)

If this trilogy follows the standard Star Wars format the old sage/master will Die/sacrifice himself at the end of the first Movie (Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan). So I expect whoever assumes the role of the old master will also perish near the end of EP7. It could be Luke or it could be Han or possibly even Leia.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  7. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    How about the story of the young characters seen theough the eyes of Luke and leia?

DBPirate and TigerCraneFist like this.
  8. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Darn it, I put medium but I meant to put large.

Star Wars is about the Skywalkers. Of course, you will have those kids that say, "Oh, a Rey toy!" and "Oh, Kylo Ren, he's so cool!" Personally though, I will always have soft spot for Ep. I-VI. Darth Maul and Darth Vader toys would probably interest me more, but I can't think that far ahead.

That's why I think Luke, Han, and Leia should have big roles. To keep the familiarity while still telling a new story. The prequels had characters we knew like Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda, etc. and the ST needs to continue this trend.

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Large roles. Huge roles. Build bigger theaters cuz the old ones aren't big enough for the OT cast's roles.

10. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    The more I think about it. The more it seems to me that the original cast will have important roles but not a lot of screen time or dialog.

The movie will center around the new characters, with the old guard setting things in motion and a handing-off Star Wars to the new cast.