main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What type of reviewer are you?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by madman007, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    This entirely depends on whose story I'm replying to. With certain people *cough*Thrawn_McEwok*cough* I often use a mixture of the Quote and the Philosopher style. Usually, those types of reviews are limited to people who's work I've been reading for awhile.

With someone who's work I haven't read before or don't know very well, I usually pop in, let them know I've read and appreciated what they've written, and that's all. One might call that a "minimalist" approach.

Sometimes, I don't reply at all if I don't think that I have the time to give something lengthy. I enjoy when readers make the effort to give in-depth feedback to my stories, so I try to return the favor. If I don't feel like I have enough time, I sometimes don't bother to post anything, or I post something just to let them know I've read it and then come back later.

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Fascinating and overlooked thread...

If I'm at work, on break, reading 3 stories - minimilist. I came, I saw, I liked.

Short, short update - not enough there to pick up on - again, minimilist.

Extraordinary plotting, characterization, scene-setting, use of words - I just have to quote and compliment the heck out of a story. I do try not to quote the entire story. With VaderLVR64 I have run out of superlatives, so I'm minimilist with her. :D

Over-the-top-Cheery: grumpy 'ol me? Nah.

Philosopher: I love them as reader responses. To be one requires I engage brain in my responses - but if there's such a thing, I may be "minimilist-philosopher" at times.

Lurker: often, when time is short or the update left me nothing to say but "great update" and I'm tired of that phrase.

The Wannabe Archive Reviewer: Not my style, but the occasional one responds, and let's just say they don't know the difference between concrit (I accept that) and criticism - I've had two (elsewhere) that just made my day <sarcastic snort>:

1. I found no errors.

2. I wouldn't use "verdant" and "green" in this sentence together.

If you don't like my story, tell me, don't play passive-aggressive. If you like some elements and some you don't, tell what you like and why, and what you don't, and why.

I can read between the lines, and I don't like to be told essentially that I don't write a good story, because without more information how can I learn to write a better one if you don't tell me what did work and why, and what didn't and why?

3. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I guess I'm a cross between the Quoter and the Philosopher. I like to use quoting to highlight my favorite passages for the author and to help them understand what parts of the story I'm babbling on and on about when I turn philosopher. ;) When I say philosopher, I don't mean I'm one of those people who writes a review as long as the story, but I do like to let the author know why I liked something or why a certain aspect of their story affected me so deeply. Those are my favorite kind of reviews to receive too. But of course, I like them all. Nothing feels better than to know someone's reading your story. :)

4. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I like to quote lines that meant something to me and often do. I'm more a minimalist at heart, but I would never-ever post something negative. We're a community here and as such, I feel that part of that involves building our fellow writers up. If a story doesn't appeal to me, I simply don't post.

5. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    I'd say I'm a cross between the Minimalist and the Over-The-Top-Cheery reviewer, with a hint of the Philosopher. I never say anything downright mean to a person - because how does that help them? And I rarely even give constructive crit., which I should probably do more... but I like giving encouraging remarks because I know that's what I like to read.

I really like receiving const. crit., but flames are just unnecessary. I make it a point to be always polite and kind.

- Serena

6. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Wow just finished reading all these great comments.:cool:
    There are so many different classes of reviewer, and all of
    them keep this board running. For without reviews eventually no one
    will write a story.[face_worried]

Most of us who write love to do it, and it makes us happy with or without
    reviews.(happier with them personally) Therefore, I do not lurk often
    and I like to show the author that their work is worth the effort.=D=

Sometimes I quote many good lines. They stand out and make me either laugh or cry or feel -Wow this is fantastic-=D=

So I am probably the happy cheery Quote reviewer.o_O

7. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm not quite sure which one I fit into. I've noticed I never actually quote a portion of a story, but I will comment on parts I like.

Hmmm... maybe just crossing from Minimilast into Philosopher? I don't know.

8. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Once upon a time I was an The Over-The-Top Cheery reviewer. Ah those gushy, enthusiastic years [face_blush] Then I became a quoter and now I am a minimalist. I'd love to be philosopher but just don't have the time :(

EDIT: aw shoot, saw all the additional definitions now. Okay I confess, I've been an upper, a mime, a socializer and a lurker. But haven't be all been lurkers at some point? [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.