main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last tv episode you watched?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth SOS & 7X Hangman Winner star 6

Sep 4, 2021
    Last episode of Tru Calling :_|:_|:_|
    It even ended setting up for a third series. I loathe fox.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    New series of CSI Vegas I was a huge fan of CSI in al its variants (except Cyber). So I think its great to see this back again. Episode 1 has done the usual cliche with stumbling exposition as it explains where certain characters are with a throwaway line. As soon as that theme tune starts up its like putting on a comfy pair of slippers. My one grip so far, the terrible English accent thats just made for American TV that one of the new CSI's has.

Arwen Sith likes this.
  3. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    DS9:
    Dax. Interesting discussion about the nature of individuality and whether a host should be held responsible for actions taken by a former host of the same symbiont. Felt a bit similar to The Measure of a Man, in that the individuality of a sentient being was being judged.
    The Passenger. Another episode with a similar theme. The most "spiritual" episode so far, in the sense that a personality is shown to survive even when the body of the person dies, in this case in genetic patterns.
    Move Along Home. The holodeck episode that wasn't a holodeck episode. My least favorite DS9 episode so far.
    The Nagus. Okay, but no more than that. I'm not a huge fan of the Ferengi episodes in general, even if it was fun to see Quark as the Nagus.
    Vortex. A first look at Odo's vulnerability because he doesn't know his origins or anyone else like himself, and his "humanity" in the sense that he was willing to deceive the Federation and Ah-kel to save Croden and his daughter.

That said, the thread of Jake and Nog's developing friendship runs through many of these episodes, and the part when Sisko recognized that Jake could be a good influence on Nog, and encouraged Jake to spend time with his friend was lovely.

TOS:
    This Side of Paradise. The best part of this episode was when Spock started showing his emotions, but otherwise I don't think it's particularly interesting.
    The Devil in the Dark. My favorite TOS episode so far. "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!" had our son howling in laughter to the point that we had to pause the episode so he wouldn't miss anything. I loved the way they could work with the Horta to their mutual advantage.

We've also watched the first 3 episodes of Light & Magic, lots of fun and interesting stuff about how groundbreaking movies are made.

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    @Arwen Sith

There will be quite a bit more Ferengi-centric DS9 episodes, especially involving the Nagus later on. In the 4th season, a delightfully nasty Ferengi named Brunt will be introduced. He's played by the same actor who will play another recurring DS9 villain. In fact, that actor will play both characters in the same episode near the end of the series.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Black Bird (You Promised)

Caught the finale last night. Six episode limited series on Apple TV+ that the wife and I both really enjoyed. Very well done, wonderful performances all around. Ray Liotta gives a vulnerable and heartbreaking swan song as Taron Egerton’s father. And shoutout to Paul Walter Hauser for pulling off the creepy serial killer act unsettlingly well. I highly recommend it, wish I saw it talked about more. Hope it gets some warranted awards consideration, won’t be surprised if Liotta gets a posthumous nod.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I've been watching Barry. It's another prestige show about a bad guy who feels bad about being a bad guy but the only thing he's good at is being a bad guy and he's bad at escaping being a bad guy. It's good.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Beauty and the Geek Australia s08e10. It's getting down to the wire and also the remaining geeks got their makeovers.

8. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I know, I've seen the show before a few times, my husband and I are currently introducing our 13 year old to the shows. DS9 is actually my favorite Trek show of the ones that I've seen, because I think it hits a nice compromise between episodic and serial. It's episodic enough that you don't have to focus 100% on everything that's happening to understand things later, but serial enough that most characters get a lot of decent character development, and in the later seasons you get a few subtle callbacks to earlier events. TOS is still reasonably watchable even if a number of episodes have aged quite badly. TNG is fun, although IMO they focused a bit too much on family rather than adventure, and I think that bringing whole families with kids aboard an exploratory ship made no sense. VGR is a slightly darker TNG clone, my least favorite show because it had a lot of potential, but it was written as an episodic show where no actions had any real consequences, and the unmodified humans were written as intentionally bland and uninteresting to give the aliens, the EMH, and later Seven, a chance to shine. ENT was a fun show, but took a couple seasons to really get going, and it got canceled just as it became really good. I haven't seen Discovery or any of the other currently running Treks yet.

LTIW: DS9: Battle Lines. A pretty average episode, the only thing of any consequence was Kai Opaka's fate.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Juliet316, Sarge and PCCViking like this.
  9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The Man Who Fell to Earth s1 e2 Unwashed and Somewhat Slightly Dazed
    Chiwetel Ejiofor. Yes.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i thought it fell off a little this season. barry became completely unlikable. still, i'm curious to see where they'll go with it next.

11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Beavis & Butthead the two new episodes that dropped on Paramount+ last week. Don't care what anyone says they still make me laugh.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    If Beavis and Butthead don’t make you laugh, your heart is made of stone.

Luke02 likes this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ozark Season 1, Episode 3

Marty Byrde and I have something in common. We both hate those Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Footage of a group of peaceful protestors who thought tours were being given of Mar A Lago.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Doctor Who: The Three Doctors

When Earth and Gallifrey are attacked, the Time Lords force the First and Second Doctors to help the Third Doctor.

*Final appearance of William Hartnell as The First Doctor; first multi-Doctor story*

16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    From really enjoyed this ten episode first season. Residents of a town cannot leave and at night monsters come out of the woods and kill the townsfolk if they’re not behind locked doors with their “talisman” hanging at the door protecting them. The only way the monsters can enter is if they are allowed in through an open door or window. The story follows a family who, whilst driving on a holiday, become trapped in the town where all roads lead back to it. There is no road out. This is a good idea and is very intriguing and the mystery aspect kept me hooked, I guess it’s a cross between salems lot or the villlage. I think this was created by the same guys that created Lost and sure enough there are some weird ideas presented here that aren’t all explained in this first season. Well worth watching I think.

17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Episode 7 of Ozark. I won't be watching any more.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Just started season 2 of Frasier. I'm loving this, it's so much fun, full of dry wit. I think I like this more than Cheers, and I really enjoy Cheers.

19. Moonspun Dragon

Moonspun Dragon Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2011
    Lucifer S2xE8: A Trip to Stabby Town.

And most of the ep after it. E9: Homewrecker.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I am Groot
    I binged all the episodes, which sadly doesn't take very long. It's cute, fun, and occasionally LOL funny.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The Phillies continuing to rampage their way up the standings.

Juliet316 and SHAD0W-JEDI like this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The Orville, season 3 episode 3
    That one was kind of fun in an old school Trek sort of way, which was a big step up from the first two episodes of the season, which I found duller than the most boring TNG episodes. They weren't helped by focusing on the doctor, who is the least interesting character in a cast of not very interesting characters. How much longer until we get the second season of Strange New Worlds? Or Lower Decks? Orville just isn't cutting it for me. I need a good Trek fix.

23. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    While we've fallen off from doing this regularly, for a while my wife and I were watching "Classic Movies" (off one or the other "Best Movies of All Times" list) that one or both of us hadn't seen. One "problem" with this - "problem" may not be exactly the right word here - was that you kinda/sorta couldn't talk much about it (except with each other). What exactly were you going to say? "Hey, ever hear of CASABLANCA? It's really good!" or "You know, that CITIZEN KANE is really something!". I mean, yeah. That's why they're on all those lists, right?

I mention that because we just finished watching THE WIRE after having heard about it for years (many) and having it recommended to us (many times). And yeah, it is freaking fantastic. If you are among those who haven't seen it yet, or maybe you haven't heard of it (it IS about 20 years old at this point, I believe) - can't say enough good things about it. On the surface, it is a "police procedural" about cops and criminals in Baltimore and on that level it is wonderful, but it is really about so so so much more than that. Each season, there are one or more major themes tied into the overarching "criminal" aspects - a discussion of the "drug problem", a discussion of urban schools, a discussion of the struggles of blue collar workers in a changing economy, a discussion of the role of the press. And what I loved is that it never condescends to becoming either preachy or simplistic --- there are NO easy answers, even in cases where the people involved truly have good motivations (and to be frank, not everyone does, on either side of the law!). But the show deals with a lot more than even that.... it illustrates the challenges of leadership in many forms, it draws some clever and fascinating parallels between the attitudes and challenges facing people who on the surface couldn't be more different (for example, a relatively low-level "manager" in the police department and a relatively "low level" manager in the drug gangs). It delves into how different groups have different norms and rules and (almost) "laws" governing behavior, and the friction when the "next generation" coming up may not share them. This show is incredibly SMART. And if all that wasn't enough, the writing is just amazing, and the characters are almost all not only very three dimensional but also true to themselves. With very rare exceptions, when a character does something, it feels right FOR the character, not just right for the plot. And over the run of the series many characters will face serious ethical dilemmas and they won't always choose "the right path"...or "the wrong one". Characters are never reduced to "just" checking demographic boxes - black or white, male or female, gay or straight, they are all portrayed as people first and foremost, which means at times people on different sides of those demographic divides will find themselves with similar challenges or problems or tests, with more in common than might at first be expected...or they might find themselves deeply divided, despite some surface level shared qualities.

Er.... yeah. Sorry. Can't say enough good things about the series. On top of everything else, I'd say it also 99% "sticks the landing" when it is time to wrap up (I have one quibble, but yeah, it is a quibble). If you've never seen it, I'd suggest you give serious consideration to giving it a try. I think you'll find it time well spent!

Bor Mullet, Arwen Sith and solojones like this.
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Glad you finally got to watch it. It's been one of my favorites since it came out. That fourth season about inner city schools.... Woof. Hits the nail on the head with a very complex topic.

SHAD0W-JEDI likes this.
  25. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Season 1, Episode 1: Diamond of Disappearance

It was bad enough to deter me from watching the whole series. I'm going to look for a Best Of list.

Juliet316 likes this.