main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Speculation What would be a worthy story/threat for a "restoring/rebuilding the Republic" episode 10-12 trilogy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, Oct 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I know a lot of people thought the Sequel Trilogy, episodes 7-9, would be about restoring/rebuilding the Republic... the rise of a new Republic and it facing and passing its first true test.

Let's say there's eventually a new trilogy, episodes 10-12, set about 25-45 years after Episode IX, with a focus on the next generation.

What would that premise for this new trilogy look like in practice? What would be the unifying threat? How would it be connected to the past 3 trilogies to feel just as epic, and also just as personal? How would it be about the rise of a new republic, restoring and rebuilding the galactic government and making it better than ever, with its conclusion setting the stage for another thousand years of peace, like things were before Episode I but minus the corruption/indifference/remoteness of those in power? How would it be an exciting Star Wars story, with action and lightsaber fights and armies and space battles?

I'll share some of my thoughts in its own post, just don't want my thoughts to be what this entire thread is about, want to hear all of your ideas too. But in short I think what's going on in the High Republic could have been about the rebuilding/rise/restoration of the new Republic, except it would lead to the beginning of a new golden age instead of its end.

SanniaQ and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm only interested if they get George back to do the story. Only he could salvage the awful situation left by the Disney trilogy.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't want this to become a thread about Lucas or Disney or the ST. That post is too negative and not constructive, it doesn't add anything.

Just, if this is the general premise for another new trilogy, how would it work?

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Call the new government The Galactic Alliance, reflecting the galaxy's unified arrival to the Battle of Exegol.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's not really what this thread is about... and besides, if the only galactic authority is military leadership, that's not good for democracy.

6. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I've thought for a while that a Mandalorian warlord trying to create a new Mandalorian empire could be a good threat for the rebuilding New Republic. There could be some interesting parallels there because both the New Republic and the warlord would be trying to revive a former way of life. The rebuilding Jedi could also be paralleled. There could be some moral complexity in a conflict like that because there would likely be internal conflicts in each faction with different ideas about how much should be brought back, what should change etc. For example, there could be Jedi who want to resurrect the Jedi Order exactly as it was in the PT, warts and all, while other Jedi want to change/reform some things.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Trebor Sabreon, Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I really wish that a Mando Empire, taking advantage of the power gap post-OT, would have rolled in to take over a chunk of the galaxy in the ST, Soviets in Eastern Europe-style. Followed by a mixed hot war/ Cold War situation between them and the New Republic. Would’ve been a great way to create a new (and more morally complex) threat, while also keeping a toe in the familiar. I would also be open to this happening post-ST, to answer the OP’s challenge. And Mando seasons 1 and 2 have laid a good foundation for the restoration of Mando power, which could lead to this galactic political situation.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  8. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Okay Im all for a new trilogy post TROS. Not that i hated it, far from it but I dont want it to be the last movie in the timeline.

So firstly rebuilding a republic politically would be quite boring. Politics in SW is always a tad boring (The senate scenes in the PT werent great). Im not sure a lot want to see that but we could have the NR be in existence. I agree with the above post about Mandalore playing a role. But remember if a new trilogy was set say 10 years after the ST the characters from the mandalorian would be too old. If Mando is 46 (the actors actual age) then he (the character) would be 81 or so in the new trilogy so new characters would be needed.

A war between Mandalore and the NR with potential sith trouble stirring in the background would be amazing. The sith will never go away. Likewise the Jedi.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Galactic politics don’t have to be boring. The TV series Rome was nearly all politics and it was fantastic. Do that.

The Chalk Jedi and Ghost like this.
  10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Me....lol j/k

As much fun as it would be to see worlds trying to build up only to fall. I'd rather they wait a couple hundred years to let dust settle. And then maybe some idiot is trying to blow up random cities. I don't know. My mind keeps going back to someone taking over a planet...oh wait that's been done. Maybe someone blowing up a planet...oh wait that's been done.

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    How about someone vacuuming a planet?

Oh wait that's been done.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Have a fledgling Republic deal with the full scale droid revolt that seems to be considered basically inevitable in a lot of supplementary material (and arguably Solo depending on how seriously you take L3, even if they're mostly played for laughs). This could create a compelling dynamic where the heroes are trying to sort out their desires regarding the government while also having to grapple with an unprecedented threat that totally upends the GFFA status quo. The scope is at the appropriate scale for theatrical releases, it's too involved to sort out in just one movie, and you get added "the enemy could be anywhere" tension for free.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Trebor Sabreon and EHT like this.
  13. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    We have to contrast a Republic with those forms of "government" that are its opposite. Although we've done dictatorships plenty in SW, they could play a role, but more importantly I think would be planets wanting to return to monarchial forms from their past. So we could have a kind of Game of Thrones structure for a new Trilogy, and as GoT has shown us, politics aren't boring when it's all about strategy and maneuvering and backstabbing.

And we also have planets and regions that are wild and unsettled that would be dominated by criminals. So building a Republic is all about creating justice in the galaxy against different sorts of groups who want some form of injustice.

Sounds like a great approach to a new trilogy to me!

14. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Planets already seem to have monarchial forms inside the Republic. The galactic government being a Republic doesn't prevent its members from making use of their own kind of system internally.

Unless you are talking about someone wanting the galactic government to be a monarchy. But that was already fulfilled by Palpatine, who was an Emperor. Another attempt would feel little different than yet another attempt at rebuilding the Empire.

An internal struggle for power inside the Republic could work, but I'm not sure how well that translates to a movie-trilogy.

Ghost and Sarge like this.
  15. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I like this idea. Maybe have 3 or 4 different factions.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think a new story with new trilogy with some old and new characters, they rebuild both goverment and the jedi order. But while they do that so do old enemies. The criminal Syndicates have thrived on war and imperial control for so long they have together could challange the republic and the jedi. Imperial remnants from first order become war lords and create an imperial crime syndicate. Mandalore by time of the ST will have been rebuild, why they didn't challange the republic before as they needed to help themselfs first, rebuild their glass cubes and try to heal let some life come back to Mandalore. But after 40-50 years after almost being purged, they show why they were feared across the galaxy. You have pirates attacking with imperial tech and such. The goverment is back on Corucant, after probaly using it's early years to drive criminal underworld off most of Corucant, we get similar politcs like in prequels but better.

17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don’t want Episodes 10-12. I also don’t think the First Order held power for long enough to really establish itself and do away with the infrastructure that the New Republic would have put in place. I mean the New Republic was in power for 30 plus years which is longer than the Empire so I think the Resistance simply reestablished the New Republic once the First Order was defeated.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    To build on my own post…while a Mando Empire would be distinguished from the OT Empire by aesthetics and a unique culture, they could also distinguish them by digging into internal conflicts among the Mandalorians as a source of interesting drama on the villain side - the kind of hardliners vs. non-hardliners drama that existed behind the scenes of Soviet politics during the Cold War (and really behind the scenes of nearly every past Imperial entity). Because unlike the OT Empire, a Mando version wouldn’t be locked into a pure evil state because of a Sith demon Emperor. Mando rulers and would-be rulers could follow more complicated human drives. Some really rich storytelling opportunities in this context.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the galaxy united at the end would restore the new republic with new leadership and fight crime syndicates and rive them off planets like Corucant.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the galaxy would be even more united than they were after ROTJ given they’ve now witnessed what they’re complacency can lead to.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Yeah they be pretty mutch united after all Palpatine evil stuff, few planets destroyed by OT, a system and more planets destroyed. I think right after TROS, i think they fight off First Order remnats, pirates and crimnal syndicates that now has control off planets like Corucant.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  22. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually it would probably have to be a tandem of a rebuilding Republic and restoring Jedi Order. There would be a lot of potential for drama of course with desperate negotiations, the question how you deal with old enemies and collaborators opening the path for redemption arcs galore. Falling Jedi who probably get stopped before they become dangerous tyrants and all this kind of stories. The problem here is really the central conflict and arc. There would need to be an opposing force standing against a reformation of the Third Republic Also finding a spin on the Dark Side for such an era would be a challenge. Maybe dig more into history and include ancient secrets of the galaxy or an event threatening to make the Third Republic another Empire would be a good idea.

So let’s see.

Episode X - The final negotiations under the protection of fledging Jedi and new heroes goes terribly wrong when an assassination of the agreed new Chancellor happens and it looks like it was a Jedi. A particular Jedi who was questionable from the start as he was raised under imperial rule. The Jedi must try to proof their innocence while unearthing a conspiracy. They indeed clear their Order, but find out a promising Jedi was involved who could not accept a pardon of all imperial worlds. The Republic is finally formed.

Episode XI - The Conspirators are now part of the Republic and have not all been brought to justice. I imagine a monarchy of a powerful planet which now has the children taking over for the now imprisoned father. Secretly they have created a new army of advanced droids and forged an alliance with pirates. Also the Fallen Jedi now secretly serves them. They attack the Jedi Temple and try to undermine the Republic by leaving it.

Episode XII - The Third Republic now unites against the new thread and manage to overcome their differences, but are in danger to be cut off from an important Ressource by this new insurgence lead by the monarchists. The Jedi must fight to avoid a war. All of
    It ends with a spectacular battle that unites the Republic worlds and the Jedi settle their business with their Fallen Member for good …

Something like that. Anyway, if Episode X ever happens I see the Republic being formed off screen facing new enemies as a more likely scenario. Something akin to the ST with a younger Republic.

Sarge and The Chalk Jedi like this.
  23. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    I think a Mando war of some kind is inevitable, but the only question in my mind is which time period is best to do this in. If they chose to depict contemporary Mandalore, we could potentially see Grogu and Din on the big screen.

I just wonder if this approach would make depictions of old Mandalore with its wars against the Jedi unnecessary?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Mandalore for the time being of the ST, seems to be in good grey area. They are part of citizen fleet at end of TROS. Between Mandalorian arc is done and ST, probaly had to reubuild and not ready for any big conflict. Din, Grogu and Sabine on Mandalore defending their home from the first order attacks. I think the real players post ST, would be the crminal empire that has only become stronger as time gone.

25. Orion Zalnon

Orion Zalnon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 20, 2021
    Recently, I heard somebody say that we need to get away from the period of time portrayed in episodes 4-9, Rogue One and Solo. Star Wars covers an endless and massive history. I personally would love to see a republic where the only familiar elements in newer Star Wars films are the aliens, lightsabers, the force and starships(and maybe some of the characters, albeit much older).

Maybe it could take place like even just as shortly as 30 to 40 years after TRoS. This allows for eventually us seeing in another series(be it TV or movies) how Finn becomes a Jedi, how Rey systematically helped restore order to the galaxy after the fall of the First Order, but I think it's important Star Wars evolves, at least on some level. Familiar elements can exist, but I think Star Wars needs to start breaking free of certain ideas so it can embrace new and fresh ideas.

I think it would be interesting to do something deep in a new trilogy, where one of the most difficult things about re-building the republic is less about a tangible enemy and more about people's xenophobia, or even possibly more relevant... clinging to old ideas, old notions, being too rigid and too stubborn to favor the idea of unity throughout the galaxy. This holds people back from joining the new republic or even worse, forming armies out of an irrational fear of unification among all sentient beings

If handled properly, this can be a story that has intellectual depth, plenty of action and relevant cultural commentary. Obviously, this might also raise some hackles among certain people, but this kind of story has been touched upon before in Star Wars so I think it's time we really confront difficult issues relevant to us as human beings.

IlhamKamaruddin, Ghost and Bor Mullet like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.