main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What would get you so mad that you would walk out of Episode IX?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediKnightOB1, Nov 16, 2018.

1. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    You do realize that George Lucas' personal politics were all over the first six films of the saga. The OT has direct allusions to Nazi Germany with the Empire and the conflict between the Ewoks against the Imperials is all about the Vietcong. The PT has some pretty explicit references to Republican politicians when it comes to the villains of the film and it's critiquing George W. Bush's presidency and post-9/11 actions. A simple Google search will let you know how much real-life politics have always been infused in the Star Wars saga, even moreso in Lucas' films than in the current ST.

And giving leading roles to women and people of color is not "personal politics" or driving home an "agenda" except to bigots. Thanks for letting us know what side you stand on.

2. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    Time-travel. Introducing time-travel would absolutely find me walking out of the theatre in disgust.

Def Trooper, DarthBray, 77FN and 7 others like this.
  3. leopardhk47

leopardhk47 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 23, 2016
    Bringing back Sidious completely in the flesh and/or handwaving away how he managed to survive being tossed into the reactor and the subsequent explosion. Death has to mean something.

Def Trooper, Vib3s, 77FN and 5 others like this.
  4. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    What would make me really mad...? Rey dies, Rose picks up her lightsaber, becomes a Jedi and then get lessons from force ghost Holdo - That would make me mad! :oops:

HuttThePizza, DARTH FATHEAD and Mange like this.
  5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    That'd be awesome. I'd watch that movie.

Felicia likes this.
  6. wicket1138

wicket1138 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 10, 2002
    A complete 4th wall break. Poe just deadpanning to the camera "We're on the 9th Episode, what'd you expect?" I guess that'd make me mad enough. But honestly, I'm probably riding it out no matter what. There are more things that might make me not go for another viewing, but all of those things are highly unlikely, and dependent on delivery.

7. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Holdo will teach her how to hyper speed ram.
    "You should have gone for a head".

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Holdo would refuse to teach Rose anything but tell her off at every opportunity.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    DarthFixxxer and Shadojoker like this.
  9. BB-8

BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    Really?
    I think it would be pretty awesome, myself. I was originally rooting for her to be a Kenobi, but being a Palpatine opens the potential for so much more pathos.
    In fact, I would be bummed if she's just a random character. I wouldn't walk out but it would make the sequels boring to me.

10. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    I don't mind a relationship to Palpatine a la midi-chlorian manipulation or some other arcane Force experiment, but his biological granddaughter? There are so many problems with that. Conceptually, it drags the larger-than-life pantomime villain into a repugnantly mundane level of commonplace humanity. More important than that, it's an abrupt last-minute retcon and plot contrivance for the sake of giving Rey emotional conflict, conflict that could have easily been established without retconning Palpatine. Not once was a family ever mentioned, including within supplementary canon material, and now it suddenly exists at the 11th hour to accommodate J.J.'s inability to work within the limits of the source material.

Moreover, it subjects Palpatine to further villain decay by having him be negligent enough to impregnate a woman and allow her to conceive of children. He knows that's a risk, and that any potential offspring may threaten him in the future, and yet he does it anyway? He signs his own death warrant? At least with Anakin, his attempts were made to subvert the prophecy. Now, as a result of Abrams, Palpatine won't be beaten by any high concepts such as prophecies or chosen ones, but because he dropped his pants one time and couldn't kill his own offspring until 11 years after Endor. That's pathetic.

11. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Palpatine never having died in the first place, making the prophecy irrelevant, and Rey destroying him for good without Anakin's help is about the worst thing that could happen, as far as I'm concerned. If it's confirmed, I'll watch the movie, eventually, but only in 2020 and I'll use tickets for a different movie to get in, one that deserves my support a little more.

12. At this point nothing can surprise me from JJ or Rian Johnson
    I just hope Palpatine's death is good and doesn't denigrate another amazing character from the OT

Darth Smurf, DarthFixxxer and Mange like this.
  13. Lord Exor

Lord Exor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2019
    Rey soloing Palpatine certainly sounds like denigration to me.

14. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    From the leaks I’ve read and heard it’ll be a question as to whether I actually walk INTO Episode IX, let alone out of it.

15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    This is absurd. I don't really agree (or disagree, I am indifferent) with that other person's comments, but they did not let you know "what side they stand on". That's very presumptuous of you. And they did not mention anything about women or people of color. Inventing racism and bigotry everywhere is way too far, especially for another member in the forums that you do not know at all.

Time travel has been established as canon in the Star Wars universe since about 1.5 years ago, when it was shown in Rebels, in a magnificent scene with Ahsoka, which didn't actually hurt the story, did not do any worldbreaking (since it was only done under certain circumstances) and was portrayed very carefully.

Some scenarios in my head would actually love to see time travel in TROS, especially if it was done to fix so many things in the first two movies which I wish had never happened (aka heroes dying as failures). But to each their own for sure. I just don't see why time travel always has to be a red flag. Some of the best movies in science fiction have time travel (and ALL of them have causality paradoxes).

HuttThePizza likes this.
  16. BB-8

BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 1, 2015

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  17. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    If you can't read in between the lines, that's your problem. "Political identity politics or story driven agendas" and "using real life politics" are all the buzz words necessary to understand the real issues being posed here. What exactly is so political about the ST trilogy or its story except for the empowerment of women and racial minorities with characters like Rey, Finn, Rose, and Holdo receiving some of the most flack? The bigotry is implicit in the various posts.

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Oh hey. Did you know that we have a whole entire thread dedicated to this topic? Take this conversation there.

Thank you for your obedience
    :p

19. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Emoticons in the opening crawl

Hernalt likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t know if I’d walk out, but if the rumor about Anakin’s Force ghost being evil and “corrupting” Kylo plays out on screen, I’d be sorely tempted.

Deliveranze and PendragonM like this.
  21. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    As the meme goes, bold of you to assume I’m walking in. JJ already did what would do it for me - ripped up Luke, Han and Leia and killed Han.

22. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    My back no longer being able to withstand 2.5 hours those invariably too low movie theatre seats (for me)?

If I'm walking in (it's an "if", I'm still pondering at this point whether to go close to launch or wait until after the story is out), I'm not walking out without a forceful need to.

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    An army of Force Ghosts ganging up on Palpatine (channeling their power through Rey) would be a worthy demise. Palpatine is strong but he’s still just one man.

24. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    Pop up ads for Disney+ (to get answers).

PendragonM likes this.
  25. Jedi Historian

Jedi Historian Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm sure this has already been posted somewhere back in the thread, but...

My answer is NOTHING. It's the final Skywalker Saga film--unless there's a fire, I'm staying put...