main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's your level of anticipation for Episode IX. compared to TFA and TLJ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Oct 29, 2018.

?

What's your level of anticipation for Episode IX, compared to TFA and TLJ?

1. More excited for IX than I was for TFA and TLJ!

9.5%
  2. More excited for IX than I was for TLJ, but less excited than I was for TFA

12.5%
  3. More excited for IX than I was for TFA, but less excited than I was for than TLJ

2.9%
  4. I was more excited for both TFA and TLJ than I am for IX

52.7%
  5. As excited as I was for TFA and TLJ

22.3%
  1. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Oh my kids are avid readers too and love Harry potter and mcu. But thry know star wars is special

jeangreyforever likes this.
  2. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    They love all literature. As long as they follow the Central themes that mskes star wars and not the bile spouted by the likes of geeks and gamers YouTube channel I'll be happy. I just happy they got to see a star wars trilogy at the cinema and not on some crappy laptop. I'm thankful we got new star wars...their stsr wars..and I'm happy I feel it too

jeangreyforever likes this.
  3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    so low that I'm now contemplating waiting for the Disney+ release.[face_devil][face_whistling]

4. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I had low anticipation/expectations for TFA because I predicted it would be a banal nostalgia tour (I was correct). I was slightly more interested in TLJ because of my curiosity around how Luke would be portrayed. I avoided spoilers/trailers because I wanted to let myself be as surprised as possible.

Going into TROS I’m feeling more anticipation because of the stakes involved. LFL *claims* this will be the end of the main saga and so it will be very cathartic to see what happens. I have no idea what my emotions will be like when the credits roll but they’ll probably be complex.

Josh Jones and HevyDevy like this.
  5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I freely admit @starocean90 that going to see TROS Opening Night is more of keeping a tradition since I seen every new Star Wars live action film on either Preview Thursday or Opening Day since 1983 when I was five years old with my mom taking my brother and I out of school early so we can catch a mid afternoon showing before the crowds starting hitting after school. But the movie itself? Not truly excited for. Frankly I am much more interested in seeing Joker then TROS.

6. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Yeah hard to avoid SW traditions, I'll likely end up watching in the cinema though, since I've went to watch every movie with my 3 sisters, basically tradition at this point too. My dad took us to all 3 PT movies even though he hates SW, lol. My parents are more into classical stories. Although it's all about having aligning schedules, I'm good to wait, as by the time we watch the film, the the theater will be empty, perfect. They loved Rey in TFA but thought she was very stupid in TLJ and now are hoping that ROS redeems the character.

but yeah I'm more interested in seeing the Joker too. Maybe I should watch the dumb as hell Jumanji 2 instead.[face_clown]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Despite any frustrating choices made for the ST so far, Im still very eager for the finale.
    I'm seeing it opening night.

I know a lot of people didn't like the PT, but getting a finale movie in '05 was such a big part of my life.
    If IX even approaches the element of added depth to the other films that to me ROTS did...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    darthfettus2015 likes this.
  8. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I'm at a "meh" level of anticipation, but I'm taking my 13 year old son on opening night, and I know that once the lights go down and the BBFC classification message comes up to signal the start of the film, I'll be settled in for two and a half hours of escapism. When the dust settles and we evaluate the saga afterwards, that's when the recriminations will start (or not) but it can't be denied that a new Star Wars film is always a decent night out.

astinus4 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  9. Josh Jones

Josh Jones Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2019
    Like you... I’ll be first in the queue... but it doesn’t mean I’m happy about it...
    :)

Luke02 likes this.
  10. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I can't work out why I'm not more excited about it. I enjoyed TFA, I like most of TLJ (Canto Bight can take a dive into the Sarlacc) but whenever I read stuff about it I just kind of shrug. Maybe it's an age thing.

11. VGCinema

VGCinema Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2019
    I think for me personally it's the mix of knowing too many leaks, not knowing enough of the actual story, and worry for the future of the franchise. I am a huge fan of the ST and even I am not as excited as I think I should be. If you asked me a year ago about my excitement level I would have said it was through the roof, now I'm just more scared than anything.

The Deuteragonist likes this.
  12. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    I'm looking forward to it. Just not wanting too many more spoilers

The-Clone-Wars likes this.
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    For me, it's kind of just a lack of momentum and interest from TLJ (mostly stemming from the mistakes I believe that film made) with some of the spoilers and leakers still leaving me cold.

Like, for all that I'm not a fan of the way TLJ had Kylo kill Snoke and replace him, I was still actually invested in that idea and hoping for Kylo getting sharpened into a good Big Bad, so the Palpatine news just doesn't do anything for me. I like old Sheev and love McDiarmid in the role, but this feels like its way too late to work, doesn't have any momentum from the previous film, and seems redundant because Snoke was already the Palpatine-esque character. And I simply don't have much interest int he other ideas attached to Palpatine's return, like the possible "Rey Palpatine" idea or the "Ben returns to be a hero in the last act" idea. Rey Palpatine is just the poor man's likely-to-fail Rey Skywalker in terms of giving her a heavy legacy and attaching her to the overall story of the saga, while still revoking the ethos behind Rey Random.

And I honestly just don't give a wamp-rat's ass about Ben Solo.

He ain't the male lead. That's Finn. He ain't who we've been following. That's Rey, Finn, and then Kylo, not Ben, unless Ben really is the exact same dude I already love to hate. And he ain't going to give me a satisfactory ending to the Skywalker Saga, either living or dead. I still thin the smart move is for Rey to "break" Kylo and have Ben be revealed as a pitiable wretch ripe for future stories... but not this one, because he ain't the protagonist and he can't leap frog Finn without me giving up on the film.

And yeah, my fanboy love for Finn is leaving me really cold on TROS with the leaks right now. TLJ sure as heck wasn't worth my time as a Finn fanboy, and unless they end up being used for a Stormtrooper Rebellion starring Finn, the Sith Troopers aren't worth my time either. If he's just a sidekick in this last movie, then to me, that's about 66% of the ST that means nothing for the male lead aside from one really good starting character arc.

I mean, TLJ didn't leave me with much more to go for. Rey was made more shallow and pushed to the side for Luke's story... that he then died at the end of. Finn was given busy work that wasted his time. The overall conflict still feels tiny and is just a pale shadow of the OT (and in danger of having even attempts to rectify that mean nothing with the return of Palpatine). Kylo hasn't ascended to be a great villain, where his real potential lies, and TLJ failed to execute either him as a protagonistic character or the Reylo plot well enough for me to care, instead making me likely to just roll my eyes and sigh if Rey feels any sorrow if he dies or feel seething anger if she tries to keep him alive while still cutting through stormtroopers and KOR members willy-nilly.

And in the current situation, and even in the leaks, I ain't seeing a way to give an ending worthy of subbing in for ROTJ in any way, shape or form, particularly for the family drama the series is built on.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I hate to say it, but I would be more excited for TROS if the Mandalorian wasn’t debuting in November. I guess my excitement is finite, and so the Mando holds most of it for now. I hope to feel more hype after the show’s over, and TROS is the nearest thing.

15. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    That has always been the case for me, from the very beginning in 1977, but when I left the theater after watching TLJ, I was trying to sort out what I had just watched and how I felt about it. I probably stayed in that state of mind for a few days, not wanting to hate it so much. Once I had contemplated the movie for a few days though, I could no longer deny my disdain for certain aspects of the movie, and the lack of redeeming elements I could find. I have grown less despondent towards TROS, but only to the degree I may actually try to work out a time to see it in the theater at some point. I will buy the BR even if it is horrible just so my collection is complete, but I REALLY hope it sees the BR player far more then TLJ has.

Josh Jones and CaptainEO like this.
  16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Ya know. There is like a month or more between the Mando coming out and The Rise of Skywalker. If you're lucky, your excitment for the Mandalorian will carry right into the excitement for The Rise of Skywalker.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Not excited at all. Makes me sad, but I have no faith in JJ, KK, or Disney handling this film. IMO they have seriously botched it thus far despite the money Ep7 and 8 made. To me the Saga has been ruined. I anticipate a half-ass attempt at a course correction in Ep9 which will then also make no sense so the ST wont flow well and also wont be able to stand on its own. All this ST has done thus far has rendered the previous movies meaningless, destroyed the characters we loved, and has now made the concept of the Force even more confusing - while at the same time not making it work for the new characters. While the first half of TFA was fun, the remainder of the movies have been depressing and dull as well.

So yeah, anticipation level is 1 out 10. I'll of course still see it but I wont go opening weekend. Im not going to bend over backwards to see this right away. I anticipate this movie in the same way I anticipate going to a loved one's funeral. I think that sums up my feeling on this best.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  18. KINGROKOKO

KINGROKOKO Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2018
    Absolutely no excitement whatsoever NONE

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  19. KINGROKOKO

KINGROKOKO Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2018
    I'm with you on this one

Oryx-I likes this.
  20. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    It's definitely higher than it was for TFA and TLJ. The posters and teasers for this look amazing, and having Palpatine and the KOR is the icing on the cake. This is the second most excited i've been for a SW film behind ROTS.

21. Josh Jones

Josh Jones Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 21, 2019
    It’s a shame really that most fans are less excited for TROS than they were for the others. As much as I don’t like Disney/Lucasfilm, for what they’ve done with Star Wars, I do feel for the fans that have been disappointed.

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The teaser looked great. The poster? Not so much. One of the worst posters across the whole saga. Like 90s video game cover art.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  23. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    I thought it was great, probably my third favorite of the saga. Opinions are great, everyone has one!

24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    True, though they are not all created equal. ;)

Darth Buzz likes this.
  25. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    More excited for the previous two, but almost as curious for this one as I was for TFA to see how JJ will steer things to the finish line.