main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What's your level of anticipation for Episode IX. compared to TFA and TLJ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Oct 29, 2018.

?

What's your level of anticipation for Episode IX, compared to TFA and TLJ?

1. More excited for IX than I was for TFA and TLJ!

9.5%
  2. More excited for IX than I was for TLJ, but less excited than I was for TFA

12.5%
  3. More excited for IX than I was for TFA, but less excited than I was for than TLJ

2.9%
  4. I was more excited for both TFA and TLJ than I am for IX

52.7%
  5. As excited as I was for TFA and TLJ

22.3%
  1. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm looking forward to the movie just to see how they wrap things up with the saga but to be honest I was way more excited for ROTS than I am for this movie. Heck, for that movie I even drove to Hollywood and saw it opening day there. I didn't hate TLJ but like many, that movie just cut the balls off any plot momentum that TFA had going for it. Now I don't even care if I don't get to see the movie on opening weekend and that's something I never thought I'd ever say about a Star Wars movie.

2. wequre

wequre Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2018
    TLJ was the first Star Wars movie I saw in theaters that I actually loved and felt invested in, so i'm very excited for IX to follow it up. At the same time TFA did absolutely nothing for me, and i'm worried JJ is going to create another formulaic/generic film that will just be meh.

3. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Hope it works out for all us. I had hoped the ST would have appealed to all SW fans. Obviously, not.
    I loved ANH for its joy and brightness when it first came out and TESB even more for bring dark and different. ROTJ was a bit of a letdown. So far the pattern continues...

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm just glad Trevorrow was removed. Pre-TFA, I was worried that no matter how much I liked VII and VIII, IX was going to completely **** the bed with him at the helm. With Abrams, there's the risk that it'll be a bit too breezy and it might not earn its more dramatic character or story beats, but at the very least, it'll be enjoyable to watch. I can say, if nothing else (although there's quite a bit to say), that I'm far more excited for IX now than I was when Trevorrow was still attached.

5. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    It's hard for me to choose which SW film is my favorite -- TFA or TLJ. I really enjoyed both. I have faith JJ will do a decent job wrapping up the saga.

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I was VERY excited and hopeful for TFA and TLJ. My level of anticipation for EpIX, though, might actually be at an all-time low for a Star Wars movie. At the moment, I feel like I could easily wait for the home release.

7. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Good. Then, hopefully you’ll be pleasantly surprised. I’m at the opposite end, but getting JJ to replace Trevorrow was a big thing in a good way.

8. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015

Suuuuuure ;)

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  9. The truth is I'm not excited I think I will not see the movie, I will not even pirate it

10. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I will see it on opening day, as I always do, but I am not excited at all. Curious maybe.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Hard to match the excitement of TFA- I really stayed spoiler free, and it was the beginning of a new day for SW- very exciting. But this is the closer for the Skywalker series though, so I am pretty excited about it too.

I am more excited about the prospect of D&D though- the idea of a really different and imaginative version of the GFFA. That is what I had hoped for out of the new SW from Disney. The movies have been cool, but I am ready for something new.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  12. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Im definitely getting very intrigued hearing the present rumours.

13. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    Quite low for me, actually... All the characters I loved are dead, and I don't have a clue about where the plot is going...

14. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    As it stands they would pretty much have to show some important plot point spoiler (that I happen to like) in the Episode 9 teaser/trailer for me to get excited.

Since Episode 8 I just don't feel very interested in where the plot of Episode 9 goes (Is there actually a plot?), and this is the first time in my entire life that I am not looking forward to a Star Wars movie. TLJ just felt like it was full of meta messages to long time fans like myself, basically the movie telling me to not care about what happens next because there isn't a good story with a length that requires 3 movies to tell it.

And yeah, TLJ basically undid the events of the OT. And I don't think they should have released a sequel trilogy this long after the release of Return of the Jedi. Might have worked if they had released it back in the late 90's instead of the prequel trilogy then we could have seen Luke Skywalker as a Jedi master in his prime.

15. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    GL had imagined Luke as a Kenobi figure, so the timing is about right. And AFAIK, the PT was supposed to come between the OT and PT.

16. darth_of_denmark

darth_of_denmark Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    When I say it might have worked better had the ST been made back in the 90's I was thinking about how tons of fans did want more adventures of Luke Skywalker after Return of the Jedi, so in the 90's, Mark Hamill would obviously had been a younger man fit for another crazy adventure with him as the main hero like a lot of people wanted.

17. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I don’t remember having wanted that. Had the EU for that while we waited for the PT.

18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If Luke has a prominent role, Vader/Anakin appears, etc, my excitement will be 11.

19. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    changed my vote to "as excited". After the internet culture war around TLJ, i was not excited. I feel the internet chatting/debates aka online community is a big part of my star wars excitement. However the post-TLJ community basically destroyed my love of these things. I get the hate for TLJ from the sane posters, i actually enjoy reading some of their opinions. However it felt like hate/defending of TLJ went to a level that was beyond anything i could be bothered staying involved with.

Chatting about spoilers/theories, laughing at Zeroh spoilers :p was a huge thing for me in TFA/TLJ. I felt like all that disappeared after TLJ when it basically became a race to monetise outrage and divide people into "love/hate" forum threads so people could just reaffirm their own thoughts. However i kind of feel like a second wind might be coming around soon, more debate about story lines, where JJ might take it etc etc. I feel the excitement returning. I want to know where JJ takes Rey/Kylo/Luke. I know that "other" side of the community (bitter hate and blind faith) will ramp up again as SW becomes more of a focus for celebration and DEC/2019, however i actually find myself reading JCF/SWNN/MSW/SWLeaks more and more each day as i await those juicy spoilers about characters i really like.

PymParticles and HevyDevy like this.
  20. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Same. It seems likely to happen apparently.
    It of course depends how they handle it, but I'm optimistic.
    Imo TLJ didnt add enough content relative to the links it effectively ended. It works better as a movie a bit disconnected from the originals, and considering Star Wars is supposed to be an epic journey progressively, TLJ seems a little lazy.

From what I hear I think flashbacks, force visions and force ghosts are going to play a prominent role in the final Skywalker film.

Also, not knowing how it will end is very interesting to me. I havent really had that feeling since just before the release of ROTS.

There are many possibilities knowing how diverse the films can be going from 1-8.

21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I’m taking this movie way too seriously. Just woke up from a nightmare where in the dream I went to see Ep. IX and the movie shown had no resemblance to any of the other Star Wars movies whatsoever. It took place on Earth and didn’t feature any of the actors from the previous movies. The movie itself was a collection of random scenes. One of some squirrels and raccoons climbing fences in a zoo. Another scene was about a creature that was as small as mouse that was roaming around the back of a car until it started to take human form and turned into a seven foot tall man all within a few minutes time and the man was freaked out about his own transformation. Then another scene featured my coworker appearing sort of as a ghost who couldn’t interact with the world and she was as forced watch a series of scenes that featured her son getting older and older and we could see the world was starting to get more futuristic. The world largely looked as it does now but as in moved into the future Star Wars blasters could be heard in the background and characters started to dress more and more like characters you’d see in a canteena scene. In the dream I’m witnessing all this as an audience member and I’m getting more and more angry that there’s nothing in the film that really resembles Star Wars or any sort of coherent narrative. The point of whole long painful nonsensical movie seemed to be that the Star Wars universe actually takes place in our universe and that everything that has happened in the previous Star Wars movies takes place in our future.

It was obvious that’s what point of all these non Star Ward scenes were but the film never fully turned into a traditional Star Wars film and yet I kept waiting for it to and when it didn’t I started becoming more impatient and annoyed. We were supposed to be so blown away by the idea that we share a universe with the Star Wars characters that all these random boring scenes on Earth were supposed be viewed as mind blowing. I started screaming, “this is it?!? We’re supposed to think this is arty and deep but it’s terrible!!!”

22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Pre TFA:
    - New trilogy after 10 years!
    - Han, Leia and Luke 32 years later!
    - New characters look interesting and Rey is a delight on the trailers!
    - JJ Abrams who I personally think did a great job with the Star Trek trilogy, on the steering wheel.
    - Excitement Level: 95%

Pre TLJ:
    - Well I loved Rey, Finn and even thought Kylo was interesting, so the second part will explore those more!
    - We get to see Luke 34 years later!
    - Ok the first movie wasn't very original, but they can fix the minor issues with TLJ!
    - Isn't Rian Johnson that guy that did a couple of good movies? Good!
    - We get to learn about Snoke, Rey and what they mean with the title!
    - Excitement Level: 70%

Pre IX:
    - I can't believe this guy claims to be a director and screenwriter.
    - I care about zero characters in the last movie of the saga.
    - We saw Jake Skywalker, so 3 movies wasted and no Luke in any of them
    - Finn turned into a joke
    - Han is dead, Leia is dead, Luke is dead.
    - I don't want it to tie in the prequels and the original movies, because they were perfect as they were.
    - Well at least we might get some cool flashback scenes. Maybe. They might be awful too.
    - Excitement Level: 5%

Colin Trevorrow leaving the project, was probably the worst thing that could have happened to Star Wars (and the best thing that happened to Trevorrow), since he apparently left the project after seeing what a trainwreck VIII would be. Out of the 3 directors announced initially, he is the only one who can actually be both a good filmmaker, and keep the story interesting, at the same time. JJ Abrams is a great filmmaker, but his screenwriting is not very original. Rian Johnson should have his SW movies cancelled after TLJ, just give them to someone who actually can create something other that nonsensical plots and scenes with nice visuals.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/colin-trevorrow-talks-star-wars-episode-ix-exit/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  23. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Interesting development in how your views have changed. And you’re not among the majority in Trevorrow. I only saw JW after he was fired. I liked it, thinking it clearly better than JP 2&3. I haven’t seen JW 2, but I want to see it and 3, both of which he co-wrote and co-exce prod, in addition to directing 3.

I’ve read some comments he made after a certain time reflecting on Henry and IX. He seemed honest and not the megalomaniac caricatured here.

The link you posted doesn’t say what his story was. Maybe we’ll find out later.

We can’t really know if his version would have been good. And there’s nothing to support that walked out. Did Zeroh offer this interpretation?

24. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I have no idea what people think about Colin Trevorrow to be honest, and to not be in the majority doesn't really interest me. All I know is that the guy made a very good and enjoyable Jurassic Park movie many years after the first three (and yes, I think JW was better than JP 1 and 2), and also made the very unique and refreshing Safety Not Guaranteed, along with his buddy Derek Connolly. He and Connolly were working on SW IX together. Disney did not approve his initial script (there's no way that that didn't have to do with Rian Johnson and TLJ) and brought someone else to "fix the script" in August 2017. Then in September 2017 Disney announced they had parted ways. Anyone with integrity would have walked out, and that's what I personally think happened.

This tweet of his might mean more than it says btw:

And yes, I would LOVE to eventually find out what story he had for Luke Skywalker and all the other SW characters, the one he shared with Lucas and Hamill. I would say it's an easy bet to say that both would probably have preferred it to the script that will follow TLJ.

25. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Yeah, I never cared to be part of the majority—most of the time. In elections it’d be nice if my views were part of the majority, but that’s democracy.

I do look forward to see JW 2&3. Didn’t have time last summer for 2.

I’d like to see SNG.

His buddy was trashed too, but I liked Kong: Skull Island.

DarthFixxxer likes this.