main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which traits did Kylo inherit from Han, Leia, Padme, Anakin, Shmi?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ghost, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ben Organa-Solo (aka "Kylo Ren") isn't just the legacy of Darth Vader. He is also Padme's only grandchild. Shmi's only great-grandchild. Han and Leia's child. And not all of Anakin Skywalker's life was dominated by Darth Vader. So how are these other characters reflected in him? How do these characters still live on in him?

1. How can you tell that Shmi continues on in him? Which traits? How is he Shmi's great-grandson?

2. How can you tell that Padme continues on in him? Which traits? How is he Padme's grandson?

3. How can you tell that Ankin continues on in him? Which traits? How is he Anakin's grandson?
    (Not just the dark parts... and I'd say even their darkness isn't that similar)

4. How can you tell that Han continues on in him? Which traits? How is he Han's son?

5. How can you tell that Leia continues on in him? Which traits? How is he Leia's son?

PendragonM likes this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't really see much of anything. I see the Skywalker whining, that's all. The one specific thing that occurred to me was that the "Supreme Leader is wise" non-sequitur response reminded me of Anakin turning off his brain with "I agree, the Jedi's next move will be against the Senate". It's similar self-delusion, but I don't see that as a trait that was passed on.

I don't see anything of Han or Leia in him. I can't see them at all. It's like he's specifically written without any of their traits or mannerisms. I don't know if Adam went out of his way to try to remind anyone of Han or Leia.

I don't see Vader, either.

It's like he's specifically written as not related to any of them.

I'll be reading to see if others can point anything out.

3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I honestly think that Ben is mostly what people think Anakin was instead of what he actually is given this point. As CT said, the only thing left behind is the whining. Anakin still had a strong sense of duty to friends, family and the Republic that could be sensed in the way that he was often willing to put his own well-being and even the larger mission at risk for those he cared for. None of that is really seen in his grandson who doesn't even resemble Han despite his behavior when he was a smuggler.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  4. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    There are no common themes. It's almost like he was conjured from thin air as a walking plot point.

PendragonM likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's hard to answer this question as we haven't yet seen what Ben was like before he turned to the dark side. Off the top of my head though... he's a great pilot like his grandfather, father and uncle. He has a glorious head of hair like his grandfather and like his uncle had in later life. :p

teamhansolo, ewoksimon and PendragonM like this.
  6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I can see some diplomatic tendencies that he doesn't really use, but that I think come from Leia. He does have a bit of a dry sense of humor reminiscent of Han, but it too goes unexpressed ("the droid... stole a freighter?"). There's his glorious princess hair (well, less glorious in TLJ). He's kind of a screw up in the way that Han is and I think part of not wanting to be "weak and foolish like his father" involves this tendency to be sent on missions and screw them up. I am hoping IX will show more to justify "having too much of his father's heart." I don't know, although it's difficult to explain, it's very easy for me to see the character as son of Han/Leia. As for grandparents, I mean a lot of people IRL seem to have little in common with their grandparents. But he is of course reminiscent of Anakin at the end of ROTS a bit at the end of both movies. Um I guess spending time alone secretly working things out in his head can be like Padme?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    teamhansolo likes this.
  7. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I agree. I see nothing of Han or Leia in him outside of the fact he can pilot. He's a tantrum throwing, dour, blank faced guy. His hair isn't bad - but it isn't black either, considering all his parents we have seen. So only his hairdresser knows for sure? He makes a dry line once or twice, but nothing like his parents or his uncle. Not an expression, not anything.

I watched specifically trying to find any traits like his parents and I don't see anything. It's hard for him to have anything from his grandparents or Shmi since he never knew them, but you'd think something of Luke, Han or Leia would have rubbed off.

I have to disagree on that point, what with saving Luke and Leia multiple times, evading the Empire through the asteroid field and leading the ground assault on Endor. I don't see one thing that indicates Kylo has "too much of his father's heart" or frankly, any of it. He's not kind to anyone onscreen, he takes out his frustrations on equipment, I guess like Snoke believing that he knows exactly what Kylo is going to do, he got that wrong too?

Definitely true - if he's been changed by the dark side, that would make his character make more sense. Then his lack of acting like them is just a facade that he's taken on. That's kind of how you have to take it, I guess, that he's completely rejected them. Because you'd think he'd be more like them otherwise.

Aiel, CT-867-5309 and wobbits like this.
  8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Why would he have any traits from people dead before he was born...?

9. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Genetics. My daughter is similar to her grandfather who died before she was even a “glint in her fathers eye.”

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I can see Han's humor in some of Kylo's remarks.

He also loves what's his, and cares more about it being useful, regardless of whether its appearance outside is junk (his lightsaber, Han's Millennium Falcon).

He also seems to have Leia's sense of pride... think of how Leia talked to Tarkin, and then how Kylo talked to others like Lor San Tekka.

As for pure looks... Adam Driver does resemble Pernilla August (Shmi) the most. She also said it's best to forget the past and "do not look back."
    [​IMG]

Padme is tough, other than the interest in politics... and this :p
    [​IMG]

oncafar and teamhansolo like this.
  11. Classified8

Classified8 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2016
    He's reckless like Han, single-mindedly devoted to a cause like Leia, physically courageous like both Han and Leia, and snarky like both Han and Leia.

12. Rebellious Princess

Rebellious Princess Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 27, 2018
    He's definitely like Han, from his dry humor to his combat moves. He throws punches just like dear old dad! He is stubborn like his mother, and will not give up in what he believes in, and shares a fetish for tight black leather clothing like his grandfather and grandmother lol and has the classic Skywalker temper! He also has his father's heart, which trumps the darkness that resides in most Skywalkers.

oncafar likes this.
  13. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    He’s opportunistic like his old man was. Come on. That gambit to act like he’s not going to kill and then “kill first” has shades of Han in it.

He likes holding hands like his old man. :p
    [​IMG]

Takes after flying like the Skywalkers and his dad.

Emotional like the Skywalker men at times.

He’s decent at spotting personal weaknesses. Something I think Leia was good at as well.

Physically he’s pretty big like Anakin was & does some force chokes.

But the mix makes him his own.

14. Rebellious Princess

Rebellious Princess Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 27, 2018
    I love the scene when he's sliding across the floor to catch a glimpse of Rey. Reminds me of the scene with Han sliding across the floor. He's so much like his dad.

15. Obironsolo

Obironsolo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    This is a tough question to answer because we know so little about Kylo. We know Snoke started to turn him before he became a Jedi. We know he was a conflicted student, and thus Luke made the mistake he made. We know Leia blamed Snoke. We know Han blamed Vader. We know Kylo felt Han was weak and foolish, and he felt he had become weak and foolish prior to turning bad. We know he wanted to finish what Vader started. We know he decides to kill the past. There's so much fog in terms of who the character is and why he is that way. I find answering the questions posed of this thread nearly impossible. And don't get me wrong, I think he's probably the best character in the ST. He's the one I find most interesting. But the questions posed help clarify the fact that we know almost nothing about his motivations.

oncafar likes this.
  16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well,

Han—piloting skills (certainly not woman skills), anger
    Leia—love, compassion, anger, loyalty to a cause
    Padme—loyalty to a cause
    Anakin—ANGER, ANGER, ANGER!!!, lightsaber skills and piloting skills, loyalty, love, and hatred for masters/father figures, love of mother
    Shmi—Sithload of midichloriams created by Snoke

17. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well,

Han—piloting skills (certainly not woman skills), anger
    Leia—love, compassion, anger, loyalty to a cause
    Padme—loyalty to a cause
    Anakin—ANGER, ANGER, ANGER!!!, lightsaber skills and piloting skills, loyalty, love, and hatred for masters/father figures, love of mother
    Shmi—Sithload of midichlorians created by Snoke

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  18. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Where does Kylo display any love or compassion?

Also, Shmi didn't get a "Sithload of midichlorians" from Snoke (altho I do like Sithload as a word). She got them from the Force. Nowhere in canon is it stated that Snoke had anything to do with it.

wobbits likes this.
  19. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    This is just meant for fun...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ren: Your parents threw you away like garbage.

Rey
    : They didn't.

Ren
    : They did, but you can't stop needing them. It's your greatest weakness. Looking for them everywhere...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

KYLO REN: He'd sensed my power, as he senses yours, and he feared it. ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Moved to Saga.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Ghost and anakinfansince1983 like this.