main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Which trilogy is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Weavile, Apr 18, 2023.

?

Which trilogy is your favorite?

1. Prequel Trilogy

37 vote(s)
    36.6%
  2. Original Trilogy

61 vote(s)
    60.4%
  3. Sequel Trilogy

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Let's pump the brakes a bit on this "rumor". Unnamed YouTuber who talks a bunch about Star Wars usually isn't the best source or form of inside information.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I voted for the prequels, but it brings me warm feelings that all 3 got votes

PolymerSkywalker likes this.
  3. PolymerSkywalker

PolymerSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2023
    That’s why I said rumor.

4. PolymerSkywalker

PolymerSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2023
    Well technically you are correct, but one group of movies only has 2.5% of the votes so far. Pretty representative of how I happen to feel about that trilogy also.

5. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    There is only one. The OT!

The PT is terrible when compared to the OT, but outstanding when compared to the ST :cool:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
    only one kenobi and BlackRanger like this.
  6. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Force Ghost star 4

May 12, 2005
    I was a kid when the OT came out, so that trilogy will always be my favorite. I can still remember the way I felt when I first saw the films. The PT is the perfect companion to the OT as it adds to the story, People want to focus on the clunky dialog or whatever, but it still tells a consistent and amazing story. The ST, I do my best to forget ever existed.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
    StoneRiver and Nom von Anor like this.
  7. Amiga_500_User

Amiga_500_User Jedi Master star 1

Feb 4, 2014
    The OT, closely followed by the ST.

Btw, the PT should not be canon in my book, for the silly explanation of the force alone...

8. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    The OT for me is king. The PT has elements that I like, but there's just so much I dislike about them ( awful storytelling, meandering often unfinished plotlines, some terrible dialogue, some miserable CGI, weak character 'arcs' eg....virgin births and midiclorians) ..the ST is for me, literally unwatchable.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    OT followed by the ST

PT is teh lolz

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  10. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Not when it's trying to be funny

11. Schilkeman7

Schilkeman7 Jedi Knight

Oct 15, 2018
    I love the OT dearly. I got into Star Wars in those two sweet years between the special editions, and TPM. I know every time that I watch A New Hope that I am watching a Great Movie™, and it is indeed a great movie, but the PT just has more going on, from a filmmaker who had a decade or more to ruminate. I think they're fascinating films.

I have nothing nice to say about the ST outside of the score and effects.

12. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    PT first but only by a little. The first 6 is my favorite movie/TV series ever and Anakin is probably my favorite SW character. I definitely don't Couch my appreciation for the prequels in objective anything, because I see art as subjective in nearly every regard. My only major problem with any of the prequels individual scenes is Padme losing the will to live (so I headcanon Sidious absorbing her life force to keepAnakin alive. If she hadn't known her kids were alive the despair angle might have worked for me.) My only major problem with the OT is Han not taking no for an answer from Leia in a way I find uncomfortable. One thing I love is all the rhymes Lucas put in from shot selection to music choices.

The ST feels disjointed and like it could have done more with the characters it had. Although ideally they start with a more unique situation in TFA.

Happy Sando likes this.
  13. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    Quoting this as well as liking it, 'cause I wholeheartedly agree with 99.9% of it, to a frightening "get out of my head" degree. =D= My only minor tweak would be to specify that Anakin is one of my favourite characters, as he shares that honour with a couple others.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  14. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Original Trilogy for me, but just by a little bit over the PT, and sort of in a “cheating way” since the PT complements and builds up to ROTJ in the OT, when ROTJ is my favorite movie of the franchise - not what I would call “the best,” mind you, since I think ESB achieves greater technical execution and has no weaknesses, while ROTJ has one two.

The PT *also* has several weaknesses, particularly in technical execution of the dialogue and acting, but is also easily the most ambitious - which is saying something, since “ambition” is kind of the thing that defines the franchise (even my one despised Star Wars movie is still somewhat ambitious by conventional film standards.) It also has probably the best music.

The ST to me is front-loaded with great characters and potential conflicts... that the second movie rejected hard in arrogance and in poor taste, and thus the while Saga ends up a distant third.

darkspine10 likes this.
  15. Canadian Jedi Master 75

Canadian Jedi Master 75 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 19, 2023
    Prequel Trilogy because I always wanted to see the events of Anakin becoming Darth Vader and how it actually happened.

Deliveranze and Happy Sando like this.
  16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The OT, far and away, and the original film is my favourite movie of all time.

It's... closer than I'd like to admit between the PT and ST. I grew up with the PT, and while I went through a late teens/early 20s phase of hating them (just because) I do genuinely love them. I can look past most of their faults, but there are some glaring ones that I can't ignore. With the ST, I love TFA, I love TLJ, but TRoS is my least favourite of the Saga. It's arguably the only one of the nine I don't actually like, even if there are bits and pieces of it that I enjoy. Ultimately, I'd have to give a slight edge to the ST for second place.

Guidman and Sarge like this.
  17. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    God this one is difficult. I think I'd have to give it to the original trilogy in terms of sheer consistency. Even though I'm a big fan of TLJ and TFA to a lesser extent, TROS brings down the trilogy as a whole a fair bit. And I only really enjoy like 50% of the Prequel trilogy even if Revenge of the Sith is also in my top rankings.

18. Darth Vectivus

Darth Vectivus Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 9, 2023
    World Building Prequels as movies in quality the Original Trilogy

19. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Force Ghost star 4

May 12, 2005
    The Original Trilogy will always be my favorite trilogy, and ROTJ will always be my favorite movie. I love the Prequels too, but a huge part of my childhood is embedded in the OT.[face_love]

AndyLGR likes this.
  20. EddieAndTheCruisers

EddieAndTheCruisers Jedi Youngling

Aug 25, 2024
    As much as I think the prequels are truly very good movies, I still prefer the originals since they were my introduction to that world and I grew up with them. That said, I think some characters were handled better in one trilogy vs. another. For example, Obi-Wan and Palpatine were much more fleshed out in the prequels, while Yoda was more dogmatic, unlike his role in the older films. As for Anakin/Vader, I think its a tie; David Prowse, James Earl Jones, and Hayden Christensen all brought so much to that character.