main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Who is your favorite villain in the Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SateleNovelist11, Mar 11, 2022.

?

Who is your favorite villain?

1. Darth Vader

60.4%
  2. Darth Sidious Palpatine

16.5%
  3. Grand Moff Tarkin

5.5%
  4. Jabba the Hutt

4.4%
  5. Admiral Piett

5.5%
  6. General Veers

2.2%
  7. Boba Fett

5.5%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    That's an interesting comparison. Piett's actor was so popular with fans that fan mail pressured Lucas to put him in ROTJ. But the man got a terrible death. I think Veers was supposed to be in ROTJ, but if memory serves, he was written out.

Gilad Pellaeon is an interesting character who needs more exposure. I'll never forget that time in the EU when Luke said, "May the Force be with you, Admiral," to him. Pellaeon was surprised by the goodwill.

"The young go through wars and think that the experience is enough to teach them to fear such conflicts. And then, years later, their children go to war, and suddenly the parents learn what fear really means."
    - Gilad Pellaeon, to Luke Skywalker

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
    Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Jedi Bluth

Jedi Bluth Force Ghost star 7

Sep 4, 2021
    [​IMG]
    Need I say more :boba:

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    The way he interacts with his fellow villains and with Obi-Wan in this video... [face_rofl] James Earl Jones is a legend. They used all these series and comedic voice clips from his other movies to make this damn hilarious.

"Pretty far long as it is, man. And we sittin' here gettin' older every minute. And I'm goin' right out the door."
    - Darth Vader :vader::D

Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 6

Feb 2, 2015
    My vote goes to General Veers. He's fighting for the wrong team but there's something compelling about a competent, loyal soldier that isn't a dark wizard or a politician. While Vader puts fear into his enemies with his stature, deep voice and mystical abilities, Veers is just a normal guy who kicks the collective butts of our Rebel heroes on Hoth. No special armor or weapons, just tactics and leadership. We get to see the Empire striking back from his perspective.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tarkin is cool for the same reasons but we never really get to see him fight in a battle and he's a bit too mustache-twirly evil IMO. Tarkin seems to take pleasure in tormenting Leia and his arrogance is what kills him. Veers just does his job. He's not confirmed dead in canon, so here's hoping he'll be feature someplace else.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  5. Cad_Bane's_Hat

Cad_Bane's_Hat Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2022
    Salacious B. Crumb (just cause his laugh reminds me of the Joker)

6. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Fett, Veers, and Piett are the most human folks on this list.

Btw, speaking of Vader...this was an interesting video.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  7. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    Boba Fett! You know, back when he was mysterious and cool... :boba:

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  8. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Vader, Palps and Jabba

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

9. Wookie Cookie

Wookie Cookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 2022
    Darth Vader, no contest.

RogueDianoga likes this.
  10. VergeresTears

VergeresTears Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2023
    A few years ago I would have answered Vader without giving it too much thought, but in the past few years I've really started to appreciate the Emperor more and more as a truly great cinematic villain. I think the character (and this is also true of Vader) has been parodied so much in the years since the release of ROTJ that you can easily forget how Ian McDiarmid's performance effortlessly radiates such menace and sadism. It's also compounded by the meme-tastic quality of his performance in ROTS. I know people love that version of the character in an ironic sense (and hell, to a certain extent so do I), but I feel it hurts Palpatine being taken seriously as a credible villain like he is in Jedi. His portrayal in ROTJ hits just the right sweet spot and is endlessly quotable IMO. 'You, like your father, are now...mine' has to be the most malevolent piece of dialogue in the whole Skywalker saga, and the line delivery does it such justice.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
    SateleNovelist11 and Sarge like this.
  11. RogueDianoga

RogueDianoga Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2022
    Vader for sure. The Emperor was certainly impressive, most impressive, but gotta be Vader all the same.

SateleNovelist11 and Sarge like this.
  12. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Indeed. I gotta say that when I first watched ROTJ during the mid-1990s, I was surprised by how scary, manipulative, charismatic, and subtle Emperor Palpatine was. TESB made me very interested in Vader, but ROTJ made me very interested in Sidious Palpatine. Even so, Vader is at his best in TESB and ROTJ in terms of the Classic Trilogy. Awesome villain, but his redemption is what makes him one of the best Star Wars characters of all time.

Sarge likes this.
  13. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Epic scene. I remember I was so curious as to who Vader's master was when I initially watched TESB and ROTJ. The more I watched the latter, the more I thought, "Oh, the Emperor is clever and scary as heck."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    Dark Ferus likes this.
  14. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Darth Vader. Apart from having arguably the most iconic character design of all time, he’s a potent symbol of how holding on to fear, anger, and greed can strip away a person’s humanity and leave them with a twisted and mechanical mindset, which is something I think is relevant to some degree for a lot of people.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
    Dark Ferus, Sarge and BlackRanger like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Tarkin because Peter Cushing

Dark Ferus and BlackRanger like this.
  16. Boba Fett i dont like very much how in Book of Boba Fett Boba is more like an Anti Hero Boba is also an Anti Hero in Legends but he still has his Villainous side

17. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    In the films, he's a villain, though. He gets more complicated in the books and comics.

Vader is dominating this, but Piett slightly beat Tarkin. Ooh. Intriguing. I like.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Piett's not really villainous, though. He's just a competent officer who (through no wish of his own) finds himself working for the villain.

19. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Unless Piett was drafted into naval service in the first place, I'd find it hard to say he was working "through no wish of his own" for the villains in the series. When all was said and done (and notwithstanding Vader's unorthodox promotion methods), Piett accepted being given command of the flagship of the Space Nazi Navy.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    Mystery Roach likes this.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Of course he "accepted" it. What choice did he have?

21. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Maybe not being on a bridge full of space Nazis in the first place. ;)

22. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Lord Vader. As a kid watching the trilogy in VHS till I wore them out, I was in awe and afraid of Vader. He had the perfect blend of menace and tragedy.

His lines in ROTJ alone are so good…

This line gives me chills to this day, incredible line delivery!

I love this! Vader is more merciful than His Master.

This one is so potent! You can feel the despair in Vader’s voice.

23. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Oh, yes, Kato Sai. Indeed. Vader was menacing. Love the way Jones delivered those chilling lines in the first one. When I first watched ROTJ in the early 1990s, I looked at the second scene and I was like, "Oh, goodness, is he gonna kill this guy in this scene? And how in the hell would his master be more forgiving than him? And who the heck is his master?" And Vader is very psychological in the third scene. Moving and poignant acting from Jones. "It is too late for me, son," he says. What a concept. Definitely not what I expected from Vader after TESB, but he is something else in ROTJ overall. When he threw Sidious Palpatine down the shaft, I had tears in my eyes when I initially viewed the film, and I was like, "Oh, this is what this character really is about."

Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  24. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Vader is the best.

25. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

Vader is what makes Star Wars Star Wars. It would not be as renowned around the globe today without his complexity, his obsession in TESB, and his redemption in ROTJ.