main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct Future SW Films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Eddie, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    MODified: Uncalled for. Other users are entitled to their opinion. Especially when the franchise they seem to be a fan of is not having the current problems that Star Wars seems to.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2019
    Krueger likes this.
  2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  3. Tusken Slayer

Tusken Slayer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    Russo Brothers could actually be creative consultants or creative heads for SW, since they are gonna be taking a break from superhero films.

I'd like to see James Cameron direct a SW movie if he wasn't so busy with the Avatar sequels.

Matt Reeves might be a good choice too after seeing how he handled the Planet of the Apes sequels. And he's a huge SW fan and childhood friend of JJ Abrams.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  4. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Depending on how his Mandalorian debut goes, I'd love to see what Dave Filoni could do with a movie. Or maybe have him as showrunner/story lead, working with directors.

5. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Or both together!

[​IMG]

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes to Reeves. I don’t want Cameron’s paws anywhere near Star Wars.

Tusken Slayer and Krueger like this.
  7. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Rupert Wyatt. But then he'll leave a month before shooting is scheduled to begin.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I thought the first space half of 'Captain Marvel' was quite impressive and very much in the vein of a space opera. With the right script I think Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck could do a great job

9. Troy_Viszla

Troy_Viszla Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 2, 2018
    Cameron will never happen but he might be the only Director alive who could give Star Wars the Epicness it deserves .

DarthFixxxer and ezekiel22x like this.
  10. JustASimplePorg

JustASimplePorg Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2019
    As much as I like their captain america movies (infinity war not so much), creativeness and originality is not their best strength, to be honest.

I'd love to see Joss Whedon, Serenity is easily the best space opera since TESB. Matthew Vaughn and Edgar Wright would be no brainers, too.

For completely different directors, I've always thought Lucasfilm should bring some japanese talent to make movies about the jedi. After all, they were inspired by samurai movies, and right now they could bring Yoji Yamada, Yojiro Takita or even Takashi Miike to add some dark side mischievousness.

Maybe Duncan Jones, too, but he hasn't been at his finest lately.

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd love that, but it would need to be his own thing. Give him his own story/era, untethered and free to paint in broader strokes.

ewoksimon and GregMcP like this.
  13. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Jordan Peele

Bor Mullet and chrcharcor2 like this.
  14. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Knight of Jedi Ren Sith Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 29, 2018
    Directors who can write a coherent story. In fact, the whole focus on direction seems to be part of the problem in SW.

What's needed is a production company full of the best writers in entertainment.

Certainly, imagery and action, spectacle, are important qualities for a SW story, but too many seem to think those surface aspects are key. They are not.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Dean DeBlois, who wrote and directed the How to Train Your Dragon trilogy. He's got a strong handle on emotionally impactful visual storytelling.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  16. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Is there a topic that you're unable or unwilling to bend into a criticism of SW?

17. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Dec 29, 2018
    I believe the mods encourage people to discuss the ideas here, not the posters.

18. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm not discussing any posters. I'm simply asking you a question.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    This is true, but when you post this in the GOT Creators thread...
    And then this in here just 10 minutes later...
    It starts to look like your posts are agenda driven, rather than discussion driven.

EHT, TCF-1138 and zackm like this.
  20. Knight of Jedi Ren Sith

Dec 29, 2018
    Sorry, just read this post above. I'm not sure what agenda you think I have. I want LFL and SW to be better and I think they can do this with more focus on storytelling. It's a company wide problem from what I can see. Resistance is the latest entry to be poorly planned, for instance. It's not just the ST or Solo.

I think one possible reason is that people in LFL have confused awesome spectacle and direction as good writing. Clearly SW must have all of the above.

EDIT: I think the quality will improve over time with better planning. But the fans also must demand it. It's no good for people who know better to call mediocre work great. I see a lot of that in SW fandom, and while the brand loyalty is admirable, it's a mistake.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Both of your posts were about taking shots at LFL, and about the problems you currently have with them. They were not about the actual topic. When you twist a topic as a way to further demonstrate your displeasure with LFL it appears as though that is your only real purpose. We have threads for criticism of the new films, and LFL's handling of them, but neither of the one's mentioned in your quotes are for that. Keep it about the topic, and save the criticisms for the appropriate threads.

22. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Yeah, but who should direct future SW films?

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Thank you, but I've got this.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Uwe Boll.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    That might actually be an improvement.

My suggestions would be:
    1. Chris Nolan (by far the best option)
    2. The Russo brothers (after IW I'm sold)
    3. Alfonso Cuaron
    4. Taika Waititi
    5. Chad Stahelski (yeap.)
    6. The Wachofskis
    7. Someone young with great talent but an almost empty resume. Some of the best movies every year come from these people all the time.

And I would like to never have an arthouse/indie director ever make a Star Wars movie again. Especially the ones that have already been given that task in the past.

Bor Mullet and IlhamKamaruddin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.