main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Someone competent.

2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 15, 2011
    After the stupid Yuuzhan Vong, I think I've had enough of a rampaging horde of aliens from beyond the galaxy itself.

3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Anyway, I put my Mordred idea out there a few times, and not a lot of interest was shown. Which is totally cool.

When it comes to debate, I believe in fairness. People come in here and pick the Plagueis-Palp people apart, saying all sorts of rude things, which I think stinks. At least they put time and effort into their ideas, which is more than I can say for the pickers.

So: the Imperial Commander rumor, for example, is not my first choice for a villain. But I'm willing to be open to the idea if that's what happens. I hope it will be well executed. Others here, however, act like they'll hate the ST if they don't get exactly what they want. I believe in enjoying the ride.

4. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    I read Plagueis and it was a great insight into how the Sith starting with Plagueis than Pal brought down the Jedi and Republic. I feel that Palp did his thing took out the master and later Vader/Luke took him out end of story. I understand most on here are EU haters and I just can't understand that if Lucas approved EU why can it not be apart of VII 30 years later. I agree some things in EU was over the top you don't have to use it but pull out the good stuff. So I believe and have said before if you want the return of the sith you can have a whole unkown planet of sith. A great sith antagonist would be Vestara, her dad and the rest. The Imperial commander could be Dala who was Tarkin's girl and she would want to bring the Empire back and revenge for Tarkins death. I just hope JJ can capture the magic from OT with the old big three and carry it over to the new guys to take it further.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Your comments on page 399 weren't so rad. Your blatant and plump attempt on manipulation even less. You're really one to talk about fairness. If you wanted to provoke me, you have really - really succeeded.

There are a few things I dislike. Resurrections being one of them.

6. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I've looked at 399 a couple times and I'm not sure what's bothering you.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Right, I get you, and I do like the idea of bringing in wildly unknown villains from something really out of the known SW realm.

The only thing is, the way SW is, you have the wars, then you have the (somewhat separate) battles among the leaders. The Jedi always seem to be able to turn it into a 1 on 1 with the evil leaders (Obi Wan vs Anakin (PT), Obi Wan vs Vader (ANH), Yoda vs Palp, Obi Wan vs Grievous, etc.). If you have a non-force user as a main bad guy, or even one that isn't a very powerful dark force user, you run into the problem of explaining that- how do the Jedi not just find and destroy this leader, when they have always been able to go head to head with the other leaders? Not that I am per se against what you are talking about, I just don't see a plausible way it would work (although I am certainly open to the possibility of it if someone made a good story out of it). Maybe they can fight and get away like Jango did against Obi Wan on the Clone planet, but it would seem pretty obvious that the Jedi are going to find and destroy him more sooner than later.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. niel6658

niel6658 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2013
    Darth_Pevra
    How does an Imperial Commander, equal a ressurection?

Dra--- likes this.
  9. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    To be fair Dra, I have seen you shred a few people for posting ideas because it didn't fit into the Sidious/Anakin/Plagueis arc.
    But we seem to come full circle back to Plagueis once a week and it ends up like this, Either because someone asks a question about plagueis or someone else says "Nooo only plagueis and Sidious can be used!"
    But lets settle down here people. I've been thinking of a few ideas and will try to post em soon

Dra---, Darth_Pevra and Lee_ like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That was over 10 years :rolleyes: You really don't want to give it another try?

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed, I do see a distinction between ripping someone's ideas up and coming in and saying, "Hey, let's talk about something different, I'm getting tired of this." You aren't going to copy a novel, or even a page in a blog, so it is really easy to jump in with the "That's too vague" or "that's just like ____" criticism.

12. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I wouldnt mind seeing the Vong, Or sith purebloods, An unknown invasion would be pretty interesting in my opinion and more personal and dramatic then damn droids.

Dra--- and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm willing to bet the Imperial Commander would be following the orders of someone higher.

Maybe once the Banking Clan had finished financing the rebellion, and achieved the death of Sidious (earlier than expected and with a fair bit of luck), the market stagnated and they then moved on to financing a second rebellion; an ex-imperial rebelling against the new republic.

But I think we all know who I believe holds influence with the Banking Clan, and who I believe would be the one commanding the commander [face_devil]

All roads lead to......
    (I jest) ;)

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And, Part III had new villains! :D

15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I love Citizen Kane. :)

Lee_ likes this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Oh really? Let me help you with this.

If you don't like what I like, go away. And this when so far in SW there were only ghostly resurrections.

Brushing off a relevant argument with the non-argument that nobody cares, when clearly in this thread people did.

Sarcasm

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    The Sith and their plans really need to evolve.

To what? I don't know, surprise me.

Manufactured war is now passe. Galactic military / political domination? BFD. Been there done that multiple times now.

The threat level needs to go from "Orange" to "Red".

This generation of Republic citizens entering the ST won't be so easily swayed nor manipulated to blindly do the bidding of a few, or just one, sentient being. Many comparisons have been made between Palps and Nixon. Well, what was the general attitude toward political powers post-Watergate and post-Nam? General mistrust of authority of all types. So, a Sith Lord aspiring to sit in the captain's chair can no longer be a valid motivation. It took the Baneite Sith line 1,000 years to achieve what they did. There won't be an encore performance a few decades later. I'm intrigued at what run_luke_run said concerning a personal vendetta against the Skywalkers' and other personnel that dealt a serious blow to the Sith agenda.

I am personally holding out for Plagueis for many reasons. Firstly, I don't believe Darth Sideous was fully aware of the Sith Imperative. Plagueis kept his apprentice in the dark on many matters. The thirst for knowledge drove Palpatine silly for years. Palpatine, and we as the audience, are not privy to all the Sith had planned in seeking their revenge plot. Galactic control dominating the Jedi may have just been high camp for the next level. Secondly, the DP novel discusses some interesting concepts that went beyond basic mortal might. There is this idea of ruling both this realm, and the next, which I personally found *big*. Thirdly, Plagueis "died" shortly before the Battle of Naboo. I still wonder if it was Plagueis that opened the door for identity retention in the Force, with Qui Gon somehow being sucked into this open vortex upon his death?

The threat level from the new baddie needs to go to the next level; as in accessing power from the next realm will result in the destruction of the physical universe. Let's go big JJ!!!!!

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    What about if the villian came from within the rebel alliance? Over the trilogy you could see him/her split from Luke's Jedi ideals leading to a war in Episode IX. This villian could begin as say a military leader who is Luke's/Jedi's friendly rival the two factions like begin a couple of degrees apart in ideology,then in Episode VIII as his ideology differs more, the villian becomes more of a nemesis. This way over the course of three movies, that gap becomes a chasm to the point they are bitter enemies with opposite ideologies?

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This is how I see the Skywalker Saga playing out once the ST puzzle piece is in place. It is only my opinion of course:

So for a thousand years the Sith hid from the Jedi and the galaxy at large until two of the most powerful Sith Lords in history came into their ranks. These two Sith Lords happened to be master and apprentice, Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious. The apprentice wanted to rule the galaxy but the master had even larger ambitions. He wanted to dominate the Force itself and become more like a God than merely an Emperor.

His quest starts with his own immortality and he believed he could achieve this through scientific means. He looked at the Force not as a spiritual energy but as any other kind of energy source that can be manipulated and bent to the will of those who know how. Through the manipulation of his own midi-chlorians he could repair his body and stop the aging process rendering him impervious to the decay of time. But was this enough for him? Of course not, because he had designs on becoming a God and that would require putting himself above the Force. Since it’s all life in the universe that creates the Force if Plagueis has the power to create life from midi-chlorians then how does that not make him greater than the Force? And this is where the Chosen One comes into it.

Whether it was arrogance or foolishness, Plagueis just couldn’t see that the Force could work through him to create the Sith’s destroyer. These two Sith tampered with the natural order of things more than any other Sith Lord in history and so when Plagueis’ creation was conceived the Force appropriated it for it’s own ends. This is where Plagueis leaves the story for the moment. “Killed” by his apprentice in his sleep. Quite an inglorious death for one who reached so high.

So now we come to the PT. The apprentice is now the master and has an apprentice of his own. He has also instigated his plot for galactic domination. The Jedi have discovered the a boy who is thought to be the Chosen One but in the end Qui-Gon Jinn is cut down by Darth Maul. This is the first example of the different philosophies of the Jedi and the Sith about death. (Note: I know part of this is from TCW but it’s just an example.) Qui-Gon Jinn accepts his death and is the first Jedi to discover the path to spiritual immortality. But for a Sith physical death is unacceptable and through his sheer hatred and technological means Darth Maul is able to hold on to life. But it drives him mad.

These different philosophies about death are laid out perfectly for Anakin (and us) by the two foremost members of their respective orders in ROTS. Yoda advises Anakin that it is dangerous for a Jedi to try and tamper with the natural order of the universe. That a person’s death isn’t something to be mournful over but to rejoice because that person has joined with the energy field that binds the universe together. They have achieved a higher state of being. This beautiful theme plays right into the OT as Yoda teaches Luke that they are not this crude matter but are in fact luminous beings. And just like Qui-Gon before them both teachers are able to accept that their time has come. Both accept their death and attain the same spiritual immortality that Qui-Gon achieved so they can guide Luke to defeat the Sith.

But what of the other side’s philosophy? This is where Plagueis reenters the picture. Palpatine tells Anakin of a Sith Lord who had the ability to keep those he cared about from dying. For the Sith death is just another weakness to overcome and immortality a power that can be learned and taught. They have no problem delving into unnatural practices and it’s this tampering that throws the Force out of balance to begin with.

This then is the way I see the story continuing in a natural way. We have seen the Jedi spiritual immortality play out in the OT and it helped Luke defeat the Sith but now the story is continuing and for this theme to reach it’s resolution we must now see the Sith unnatural immortality play out in the ST. We will finally reach the conclusion of the Skywalker Saga when the Muun who started it all is dealt with. The fate of the Skywalkers and these powerful Sith have been tied together from the very beginning and the story will reach its resolution only after they have reached theirs. Together.

Of course but that wasn't really my point with that comparison. I was just showing that The Godfather trilogy which is a family drama followed a three act structure. In terms of villains SW and The Godfather are very different as The Godfather trilogy has new villains in each film whereas Star Wars has had one overarching villain.

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The Muun who started it all? Ah screw it, I'm not beating the dead horse again. Ach. Nothing against you Chiznuk, it's just ... arggg!

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I didn't see how heated this conversation had gotten before I posted this. If I had I probably would have waited awhile. Sorry, folks. :)

Immortiss and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  23. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Force Ghost star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Sorry Pevra; a little in in a reply. This is response to your response to my response (well, you get it).

I agree there is no need for a war to take revenge on one family, but one quick question and then a comment:

1) Are we having war? Star Wars has had battles and one war on-screen (The Clone Wars of course). Just making sure I wasn't missing something.

2) Taking revenge on Luke could certainly ignite a new war. :)

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Instigator! :)

Immortiss and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    run_luke_run
    1) What about the galactic civil war?

2) Possible. :) But I think something terrible would need to happen to incite a war. Not just the death of a Luke relative, but something more awful, like the death of a planet. Maybe the villain has to destroy a planet or so to take his revenge.

No, that's not it or at least not all. It's just that I think I've already posted the response I was about to post to you ten times before.

If you want to know its about after a villains death pulling another villain who is supposedly so much bigger and meaner out of the woodworks can come across as pretty cheap. Secondly about audiences not remembering Plagueis and therefore not identifying him as the muun who started it all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.