main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why did Palpatine look older in Episode II than in Episode III?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Donp, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donp

Donp Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2003
    I found this image of Palpatine, it's from Episode II.
    [image=http://www.blueharvest.net/images/prequel/episode2/palpatine.jpg]

He has sunken eyes, and looks to be about 70+ in age.

In Episode III Palpatine looks much better (I'm speaking about his appearance before the transformation, of course).

[image=http://www.homestead.com/anakin_sky/files/news_ep3_Palpatine.jpg]

It seemms as if Palpatine aged a lot in the 10 years between TPM and AOTC, but then got younger for ROTS. How can this be?

2. Avon-Guido

Avon-Guido Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    well he was hiding his true self, maybe he was getting tired of holding it back for a bit?

3. Donp

Mar 5, 2003
    well he was hiding his true self, maybe he was getting tired of holding it back for a bit?

Do you mean that he was using the force to create the illusion that his face was that of a normal human person?

Do others agree that that is the reason for why Palpatine appears older in AOTC than in ROTS?

4. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    yes he used the force to make his appearance to not appear sith like. many people think that the lightning did that to his face, but that was all part of his plan to get into anakins head..

5. Donp

Mar 5, 2003
    I see. That could definitely explain this seeming inconsistency.

6. Philosopher1701

Philosopher1701 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Yeah, I watched AOTC today, and I thought to myself, "Gosh! Palpatine looks much older than he does in ROTS!" :confused: :confused:

7. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Yea I was shocked by how young he looked too. He also reminded me of Mao Zedong at the very start of the film.

A young Mao mind you. But he seemed a lot more youngers and peppy.

8. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    if you look closely during the holo message from sidious to grievous you can see that his face doesnt look like it does during the parts when he is the chancellor.. even in TPM his face during holo messages appears a bit more sith like.. all i know is that sidious's face has been eaten away from the dark side, he was merely using his force powers to hide his decayed apperance to keep himself hidden from the jedi until the time was right.. when anakin walked in on mace vs sidious, once sid released his lightning he is unable to control himself from changing to his true form, but used that to make anakin believe he was dying even more..

9. Wester547

Wester547 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    As eccentric as this is, Obi-Wan Kenobi also looks older in AOTC (even with his old-school sported mullet hair-style do) than he does in ROTS.

10. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    i cant really tell that difference, that is probably just the make-up artists.

11. Felucian_Fantasy

Felucian_Fantasy Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    It's possible he felt rejuvenated by the knowledge that his dastardly plot was soon going to yield fruit... the war would soon end, he'd have an excuse to declare himself Emperor, he'd have a new apprentice and he would destroy the Jedi.

12. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Nice to see you all coming up with theories that simply aren't there.

The reason, of course, is that the character was intended to age and corrupt gradually and was made up as such in AOTC. There were also many interviews discussing this aging make-up.

When writing ROTS, Lucas decided that Palpatine should change suddenly. Therefore, the gradual transition was abandoned and McDiarmid wore no aging make up in the first half of ROTS.

If Lucas wasn't making up things as he went along then this issue of consistency and continuity could have been avoided.

A shame.

13. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    yes that is the truth of the creation of the movie, but the reason it was done drastically was because he was hiding his true form.. i forgot where i found that bit of information, but that is the ultimate reason period.

14. Darth Mace

Darth Mace Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 1999
  15. BuddhaSith

BuddhaSith Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    This is a stupid answer. Maybe, Ian got cosmetic surgery or uses a special cream. Or maybe Palps used the force. Who knows?

16. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    When watching the movie, I think Palpy looks older and older. In those pics, he looks older in AOTC, but in the movie, it's the other way around.

17. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    MANDALORIAN has got it spot on.

Lucas just made up the changing bit when he was writing ROTS. I sorta wish Palps had gradually aged...that would have been cooler. Like we could have had him a bit more hooded in TESB holo, and then when we see him in ROTJ, we would have been like:

HOLY SITH!

...he sure looks old! Haha.
    ;)

-matt

18. Nytemare

Nytemare Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    Hell, after Episode 1, I had to go back and watch return of the Jedi. I never realized that he was only in his 30's when he did ROTJ. It kind of freaked me out to see him looking 80 years younger 22 years later...LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.