main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Why don't we just get rid of cars.

Discussion in 'Community' started by gezvader28, Sep 29, 2023.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I go out, and I see all these hundreds of cars, and they have one person in them. And they're transporting a spare sofa and an armchair, all over the place, and the sofa and the armchair don't even want to be transported wherever.

I know people love their cars, but c'mon, most of their journeys are pointless.

Sauntaero likes this.
  2. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    The journey isn't pointless when all you need to do is ride

[​IMG]

Sarge likes this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Unless you live in a city with public transportation at every corner, how else do you get around anywhere?

4. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    so - wouldn't public transportation be a solution?

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Do people in rural areas have easy access to public transportation? Even those in Suburban areas may be pretty far away from any bus stops. Are you suggesting everyone should just take an Uber every work day to the office?

6. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
  7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Are you suggesting we do something about global warming?

Jedi Merkurian and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I thought that's what the EV are for.

9. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    No. But it'd be a good idea wouldn't it.

Bor Mullet and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  10. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Better public transport would absolutely be a supporting answer

My commute to work in car = 35-45mins
    My commute on public transport = 2-3hrs

I am now looking to change my car to an EV because the money I pay on petrol is far higher than the monthly payments I'd do on an EV. I was going to go EV a couple of years back but my old job was 100% home based and as such we ended up not needing to change the car as it was rarely used, now, I need the car.

Better subsidies and support to move to EV I would 100% support
    I'm even open to going to an EV "motorbike" for my commute but again, need support moving to it as they're all damned expensive.

Outside that, I need a car for family travel as public transport just won't support getting me and 3 peoples diving equipment to our dive site in remote lake in the lake district from Manchester.

Basically
    Make public transport much much better
    Support people moving from ICE to EV

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
  11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I need my multi-ton death machine because I like spewing smoke and plastic bits everywhere and I especially enjoy throwing money into a bottomless pit. I'm considering going electric so that my car is heavier and my source of energy can poison a different environment.

12. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003

exactly. it's all so stupid.

Rylo Ken and Darth Guy like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

Provide suggestions please

I'm more than happy to make changes, I want to see realistic changes though. I am 100% cognizant of the impact my owning a vehicle has on the environment and would happily get rid of one tomorrow if there was a suitable alternative.

I would rather return to working 1005 from home and my car be something that is used infrequently as it has been over the last 3 years, my new place of work insists I travel to a pointless office 3 times a week.
    My choice is
    No job and therefore no money and therefore whats the point
    Commute and try to do other things to mitigate the impact I'm having.

It's all well and good having this high moralistic approach. I absolutely agree that things need to change and I absolutely am making changes but what do you suggest? horse and cart? Shankses pony for an 18mile commute?

If I can get public transport to my place of work in around an hour, then I would do it. Until then, I need solutions as do many millions of people across the world rather than derision. You'll find that most of us want to change and won't need much persuading to do so. Provide a viable and sensible alternative and change will happen.

as much as we want and absolutely need the change to happen now. The reality of the situation is that I can't tell my mortgage provider that I'm not paying my mortgage this month as I quit my job to stop the ice caps from melting.

Don't like spewing smoke or plastic. Would prefer not too but as noted public transport in the UK may as well not exist outside of London.
    Electric whilst not any sort of panacea to the problem is a darn site better than what we have now

Realistic options rather than derision please. People do want to change, some can do it immediately and do, other never will because they're ********s and other need help. The vast majority need help.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    @FatBurt I drive a car. I live in the Los Angeles metro, the place that basically invented car dependency and car-centric urban design. I know what it's like to be shackled to the stupid machine. It's incredibly frustrating to deal with all the wannabe-bourgeois morons who resist every single little thing to move us out of car dependency like safe bike lanes, sidewalks for pedestrians, traffic calming measures, more strictly enforced speed limits, etc. Either these people want to drive their F-250s a mile to the grocery store or think that their Teslas are a sustainable alternative. I didn't mean to target you specifically and I apologize for coming off that way.

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    No worries, I've had a long day. No offense taken.

This is one of those where emotions run high quickly for people who want to do better but can't and feel a bit guilty for it.

Feeling attacked comes easy in this subject and my tiredness may have made me a little more touchy than I should be.

Basically, we all want to do better, should do better and government infrastructure should be in place to help

Jedi Merkurian , Jedi Ben and Sarge like this.
  17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i haven't had a car for over four years, but i don't think suggesting that everyone move to a small community where everything is within walking distance is probably very realistic.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    A cousin of mine, who lived in Manhattan for the first 20 or so years of her life, never even learned to drive until she moved down to Maryland for college and has lived there ever since.

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Who was suggesting that? Besides, large cities can be walkable and have robust public transportation.

tom likes this.
  20. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Just making the point. Some places need cars more than others.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    @FatBurt were in virtually the same situation. My commute is 35-45 minutes and would be 1.5 to 2 hours on public transport (and I’ve tried that). Thankful that I am at least not spending money on gas.

@Ahsoka's Tano I have a friend with a similar story—grew up in NYC (not sure which borough) and got her license for the first time at age 37 or so while living here.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i was just saying that that's how i personally get away with not having a car. totally agree on the other points though, obviously.

Darth Guy likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I guess misinterpretation of posts is the way this thread is gonna go. :p

tom likes this.
  24. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Fully granted this is just a me thing but I can’t tow a fishing boat down to the river on public transit.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Why don’t you just get rid of boat?

SuperWatto likes this.