main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why I enjoy Episode I and young Anakin.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Iceblazer, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Iceblazer

Iceblazer Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2020
    I had replied to a post with this, then decided to make it it's own as I can maybe see alot of good views coming from it. So here is my opinion on why Episode I, and young Anakin, is a good entry to the prequels.

It showed us a glimpse of what the Republic was like in it's prime, and for those that don't like the senate scenes. How many would have killed for those types of scenes in Episode VII?.
    The Jedi were in a stage where they were helping with trade disputes, almost casually by Qui-Gon's tone. So for the most part, the galaxy wasn't to bad in screen.

As for younger Anakin, it was good seeing a version of Anakin that I would miss by the end of Episode III.
    I've read about, how many people wanted the prequels to jump into the Clone Wars, but with all that would be going on, what would be there to reference and miss, and what started Anakin on a path that would take over the rest of his life.
    Episode I, helped show us why Anakin was so defensive in Episode II and III.
    He came from a backround where he was put down constantly told he will never amount to anything.
    He probably translated the Jedi council's strict code as more,
    "The council will never see me anything past a slave. I wish Qui-Gon was here".
    who sadly could no longer support him past Episode I.
    After Qui-gons passing, Anakin is left with Obi-Wan, Padme, and.....Palpatine, as his supporting cast.
    Learning tough love from Obi-Wan gave him an undecided view probably.
    One minute he's getting scolded (more, "I'm just a slave boy", mentality).
    And the next they are almost brothers.
    So there was conflict over his feelings with Obi-Wan, especially after Anakin confided in Obi-Wan about the dreams he had about his mother, and Obi-Wan assuring him that they are nothing but dreams. Only to find they were true.
    In the 10 year gap without Padme, and aside from having his "overly critical" Master, he had his most staunch supporter in Palpatine, who continually, undid all the strict maturity, the Jedi Council tried to teach Anakin, with Palpatine telling him, that he did not need them, he was stronger and better than they gave him credit for. That he, Palpatine, was the only one who appreciated his skills as a Jedi.
    Enter Padme.
    Aside from Obi-Wans tough love, the memories of his Mother, and Palpatine's constant praising.
    He had Padme on his mind.
    His angel.
    After 10 years of being away, he finally gets to see her again.
    This is who first grabbed his attention out of the group that day in the shop.
    Who he "thought about everyday" for ten years.
    He doesn't care about the Jedi Code. Because this is the person who helps him feel the least like his former slave self, even after being referred to as, "That little boy on Tatooine".
    Look at the Lars Homestead scene, would that scene have had as much impact if we didn't experience what he came from in Episode I?.
    Enter Episode III.
    He has matured much since Episode II, but still has his defenses up.
    And here is where Palpatine really takes advantage of Anakin's PTSD.
    The Dooku scene shows this in a way.
    "Kill him, kill him now...."
    "I shouldn't"
    *I can't. The Jedi aren't like this...but this man Palpatine has been my biggest supporter, and this guy Dooku has taken many Jedi and Clone lives.
    Palpatine also makes me feel like a person named Anakin....instead of a slave*.
    "Do it!.....".
    *kills Dooku*.
    Using the same mentality, that he's Anakin the person and not a slave to Palpatine.
    He listens to Sidious as he reminds him of his power, and how the Jedi just want to keep him down. Even though inside he knows it is wrong, he takes in everything he is being told, because Palpatine is a friend, something that Anakin didn't have the pleasure of having many of. Especially ones that tell Anakin everythinghe wants to hear.
    The purge was the defining moment in Anakin's life.
    Here he feels everything and everyone he has trusted has betrayed him.
    He put all his chips in on Padme making him feel special, killed many Jedi he maybe considered friends, all for someone he considered an angel on Tatooine.
    So in the end. All he wanted was to be a person named Anakin Skywalker, but he couldn't get past the thoughts of himself being, that slave boy from Tatooine, and in the end, that is what sent him over.
    And with Episode I, it helps Episode III's ending feel even more traumatic to me.

2. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    I prefer Jake Lloyd's Anakin to Hayden Christensen's Anakin, don't @ me.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  3. Iceblazer

Iceblazer Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2020
    I love both versions.
    I see a lot of people saying Episode I wasn't needed though.

4. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Very much agree about young Anakin.
    The PT is a tragedy at its core and a tragedy needs something to be lost.

The young, relatively innocent and childlike Anakin of TPM is the perfect contrast from the man he develops into during the following episodes.

I might even venture the argument that the childish humor of TPM serves a similar purpose. From the onset of the film you know it will lead to tragedy, so you know from the beginning that the lightheartedness will not last.

5. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    For people who like the PT it seems that little kid Anakin is a fine way to start off the trilogy.

For everybody else, it seems like the choices made in TPM were the catalyst that led to them not enjoying the trilogy as a whole.

whostheBossk and Iceblazer like this.
  6. Iceblazer

Iceblazer Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2020
    It was something to miss.
    For the most part, life was care free in Episode I, so by Episode III, you can look back, and miss Jar Jar fumbling around.

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I do understand why some people could have continuity gripes with the story of Anakin that we see in TPM because of the implied backstory we get in ANH. From the conversation between Obi-Wan and Luke in Obi-Wan's hut, it sounds as if it was Obi-Wan who discovered Anakin, Obi-Wan who urged Anakin to leave Tatooine and train as a Jedi to fight in the Clone Wars (which is implied to be why Owen resents Obi-Wan and doesn't want Luke to leave the planet as Anakin did), and to generally arrive at the impression that Anakin would have been older when he left Tatooine to train as a Jedi and fight in the Clone Wars. So, from a strict continuity perspective, I understand why some people have their issues with Anakin's backstory in that way.

However, for me the story of Anakin we get in TPM and throughout the PT works very well. When we meet Anakin, he is a mostly innocent boy eager to help others whenever he can. That gives us a chance to get to know a more innocent Anakin before we see him struggling with his anger, his hatred, and his possessiveness in AOTC and ROTS. AOTC shows us a light Anakin battling very strongly with the darkness in himself, and ROTS shows him continuing that fight against the darkness within himself before succumbing to that darkness and Palpatine's manipulations. Seeing him as this innocent boy almost fully immersed in the light in TPM becomes very important and meaningful to me in that context.

TPM also does a good job establishing the core psychological issues that will haunt Anakin in that way setting the stage for Anakin's ultimate downfall. For example, Anakin as we meet him in TPM is literally the boy without a father. This gives him a strong need for the approval and affection of a father figure and explains why the Anakin we see throughout the PT is constantly craving a father figure's approval and affection. The first father figure Anakin latches onto is Qui-Gon in TPM. When Qui-Gon dies at the end of TPM, Anakin quickly appears reliant on Obi-Wan for guidance and support as seen at Qui-Gon's funeral when he asks Obi-Wan what will happen to him now and Obi-Wan assures him that he will be Anakin's Master and that Anakin will become a Jedi. Around this same time, Palpatine also steps in as a sort of father figure in Anakin's life (Palpatine patting Anakin's shoulder and commenting that he will follow Anakin's career with great interest is like the sinister version and mirroring of the promise Obi-Wan makes to Anakin about training him).

Later on, Palpatine will be poised to provide the approval and affection that Anakin craves from Obi-Wan but doesn't always get because Obi-Wan also feels the need to provide Anakin with discipline. Obi-Wan will be a sort of light father figure to Anakin, while Palpatine will be the dark father figure whose affection for Anakin is not genuine but a ploy designed to trick Anakin into falling to the Dark Side. The PT can be understood in some important ways as this spiritual battle for Anakin's soul waged between his two father figures, Obi-Wan and Palpatine, and it should be noted that Anakin only falls to the Dark Side when his light father figure, Obi-Wan, is not on Coruscant but chasing General Grevious.

Similarly, TPM poignantly establishes how much Anakin fears change, which he associates with loss, and hints that it will be this fear of change--this inability to accept loss--that will be his tragic and relatable downfall. When Anakin tearfully tells his mother that he doesn't want things to change (because in this case change means leaving his mother), Shmi wisely points out that he can't stop the change any more than he can stop Tatooine's twin suns from setting. To his and the galaxy's grief, Anakin never learns this lesson, for it is this inability to accept that Padme like all people will one day die that allows Palpatine to manipulate him into joining the Dark Side. It is as Yoda warns Anakin in the Council Chamber as he is tested on his readiness to train as a Jedi: Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering. TPM shows us a young Anakin already shaped by fear and allows us to understand the origins of those fears that come to define his destiny and cause his tragic downfall. TPM is about establishing why and how Anakin is afraid. AOTC and ROTS focus on showing us how that fear turns into anger then violent hatred and final terrible suffering for Anakin and the galaxy as a whole. If Anakin weren't so young, his fears of separation, change, and loss might not resonate with the audience as strongly as they do. So, to me, TPM lays very relevant groundwork for Anakin's fall to the Dark Side and is the foundation for making Anakin a sympathetic, compelling character throughout the PT.

All in all, I like TPM's decision to introduce us to a young Anakin in the way it did even if I acknowledge that all the puzzle pieces don't fit together with what we learn in the OT. In terms of the big picture, the OT and the PT fit together well for me. In terms of the small details and continuity, the alignment does not always happen, but I can still enjoy the PT and the OT, finding that they each enhance the other in meaningful ways.

8. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    If Anakin "didn't care about the Jedi code" and just wanted to remain Ani" why on earth did he become a Jedi then? :p

devilinthedetails likes this.
  9. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    I like seeing young Anakin to measure how much of a improvement he is in ep 3 when he slaughtering the seppys and Jedi lol The emperor improved him! ;D

devilinthedetails likes this.
  10. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I think the issue with older fans who saw the OT first is that we seem to have ALL ASSUMED THIS. I've never talked to anyone who watched the OT before the PT that didn't land on your exact assessment. So that begs the question, how did Lucas not realize this?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  11. Iceblazer

Iceblazer Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2020
    I read that Obi-Wan was suppose to find him.
    But Lucas enjoyed working with Liam so much. He created additional scenes, and sent him to Mos Espa instead.

12. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Well, I know that originally the story only had Obi-Wan until we got to Coruscant and then we were introduced to Qui-Gon . Qui-Gon then went back to Naboo with everyone and got killed (I'm guessing just so Darth Maul could do something before being killed off). I can only assume that Lucas put Qui-Gon in earlier just so Obi-Wan had someone to share dialogue with (and thus to be able to give exposition to the audience). I know this then lead to Qui-Gon getting most of Obi-Wan's lines and Obi-Wan basically just existing during the duration of the film. If Lucas enjoyed working with Neeson so much, he should have just given him his own characterization instead of just giving him Obi-Wan's. Seems... well, lazy.

13. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I honestly never assumed from ANH that Obi Wan discovered Anakin on Tatooine and urged him to leave. From the dialog I just figured the comments about Anakin being a good pilot, warrior and friend was based on a relationship built between two Jedi during the Clone Wars.

I grew up with the OT and never had any specific ideas on how Anakin would be portrayed in a story prior to the OT. I never had any expectations we would get more Star Wars at all by the time the announcement of the PT came around.

Little Ani was a good start to the story for me because of his relationship with his mother. For them to only have each other, and being slaves for all of his life up let the emotions begin to seep in. Seeing 9 year old Ani with his mom made her death scene in AOTC so much more powerful.

ami-padme, Merrin, Bia Surik and 4 others like this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's the combination of ANH and ROTJ that produces "Anakin was a great pilot before he left Tatooine" and "Anakin was a great pilot before Obi-Wan began to train him".

ANH
    No, my father didn't fight in the Clone Wars. He was a navigator on a spice freighter.
    That's what your uncle told you. He didn't hold with your father's ideals; he felt he should've stayed here and not gotten involved.

A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights.

ROTJ
    Anakin was a good friend. When I first knew him, your father was already a great pilot, but I was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. I took it upon myself to train him as a Jedi. I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. I was wrong.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Princess_Tina likes this.
  15. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I feel like Obi-Wan saying that Owen thought Anakin should have stayed on Tatooine and not gotten involved in the Clone Wars directly contradicts Anakin leaving home as a nine year old and never having any relationship with Owen.

16. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    In theory. But after ROTJ, Obi-Wan's story can be called into question. Personally, I prefer a mix of the 2 ideas to keep more of a seemless connection, while maintaining the ideas that I think helps hold off Anakin's story from being more of a reskin of Luke's. As in when Obi mentions, "stayed here and not gotten involved." he's not directly talking about the clone wars, but the galactic situation outside of Tatooine in general. The issues from Owen come from feeling betrayed that Anakin left as a child, them and Beru being childhood friends, in a re-do of the prequels. And a continued resentment when he left again after returning in AOTC, feeling like Shmi may not have died if he'd stayed in the first place.

As is, I do think the situation is more teneous. In theory it could be retrofitted to have Anakin as a child in TPM, Qui-Gon not taking him with them, but promising to return. After Qui-Gon's death, the council declining Obi's request to get and train Anakin. Early on in AOTC, Obi, protecting Padme, hide on Tatooine again, them searching out Anakin, finding him on a Moisture farm as a teenager, he and his mom having been bought and freed by Lars early on, he and Shmi falling for eachother and getting married, with Owen and his girlfriend Beru living with them and helping there. In the midst of this situation, Shmi can be killed (who knows, maybe by tusken raiders, that he'd still kill, or by something connected to the upcoming clone wars), and so Anakin wants to leave, whether because he has no desire to live there without his mom or for revenge, much Owen's protesting, feeling like their farm and family needs all the help they can get and that Anakin's mom would want him to stay. Anakin rejects this and leaves with Obi-Wan and Padme, the beginnings of Anakin's and Padme romance. Even seeding Anakin having dreamt about hsi mom's death, but not understanding it, and feeling powerless to have stopped it. In the midts of the clone wars beginning, Anakin is knighted as a jedi, as the jedi need all the help they can get and so on and things go forward as is, for the most part. Though I think with this, the Palpatine Anakin manipulation is mostly lost.

17. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    I guess what has always bothered me is why did Lucas think we needed to start off with having Anakin be a nine year old in the first place?

I think the answer that has the most credence is the fact that Lucas was trying to retroactively turn the Star Wars movies into the "Tragedy of Darth Vader" meaning he wanted all six episodes to cover the majority of Anakin's life. So right there I have an issue because the OT is obviously about Luke. And especially ANH, there's no way anyone was ever going to see Vader as a focal character on that movie. He only has seventeen minutes of screentime and is a co-villain with Tarkin.

Most people say that Anakin needed to be nine or else his fall to the dark side over his fear of loss wouldn't work. And without getting into whether or not I even agree with that line of thinking, even IF it were true, nothing in the OT ever said that Anakin's fall was due to a fear of loss. Anakin could have fallen to the dark side for a different reason.

To touch on this, I think (imo) Lucas using Obi-Wan's one lie of the OT as an excuse to just do whatever he wanted without having to worry about continuity is one of the bigger downfalls of the PT, at least for me. Obi-Wan's stories are our only hints at what happened prior to ANH and Lucas paid them practically no mind. There is a lot of interesting history in that Obi-Wan story concerning his relationships with Anakin and Owen. Lucas didn't use hardly any of it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    whostheBossk likes this.
  18. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    I don't agree that would have to be the only reason. I think a reason could be out of a way, in theory, to avoid a reskin of Luke's.

I think Anakin's fear of loss plays as a nice parallel and contrast to Luke's fear of losing his friends in TESB and Palpatine's taunting of Luke in using the deaths of his friends and sister to try and turn him to the dark side. Story and character wise I think that works more.
    I don't know if I agree. In theory, maybe, but also, for character that only appear in 1 quarter of 1 movie and are never mentioned again after that, I think it'd be forced to make so much out of Owen and Beru. I think the re-do of this plays into the middle ground of that. Obi-Wan's stories don't really talk much about his connection to Owen. I do think it's not out of the question as a whole, but I prefer not to tread such similar ground.

Bia Surik and Subtext Mining like this.
  19. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    Watched this again today as it’s one of my all time favourite stand alone Star Wars films.

Im very glad Lucas decided to go down the route of the tragedy of Darth Vader rather than it all being about Luke. I enjoy that we get to see a young Anakin and see how his attachment issues begin as then we see the dominoes fall throughout the rest of the PT and TCW

darthfettus2015 and Deliveranze like this.
  20. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    Lucas could have just made the PT about Anakin and the OT about Luke instead of tying to retroactively make all sex movies about Anakin.

21. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    George trying to put his creative touch on another film industry.

22. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    SW Episode Sex.

Deliveranze likes this.
  23. FightoftheForgotten

May 19, 2020
    My inability to proofread has doomed me again.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  24. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I enjoyed both Christensen and Lloyd as Anakin. No Star Wars movie ever made after "A New Hope" wasn't needed. Not even the 1977 movie was needed. But I enjoyed all the six films Lucas had made, nonetheless.

wobbits likes this.
  25. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    I remember my first viewing in the theatre, and seeing young Anakin jog down the stairs and onto the screen for the first time. My heart broke, and I was actually almost in tears at the thought that this nice, helpful child grows up to be Darth Vader. I think that was the idea behind showing him as a child in the first place.

The pod-race was a bit lengthy for my taste, but it was Lucas' indulgence. I still am not a Jar-Jar fan, but I also understand the movie was for kids (who loved the character, and rightly so). It was just cool to see a new Star Wars story on-screen again. Thought that would be the last go-round until the sequels. :)