main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why isnt there an election on Moderators?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by k3po, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I have all the 15 minutes you want to spare happy
    And seriously, in the forum I moderate, I'm constantly being disagreed with. It's part of the price of admission.
    But you know what else? I wouldn't have it any other way.

Then why isn't this at least worth a shot? Honestly? Maybe it won't work. In that case, fifteen minutes lost. But maybe it will. And maybe there won't be all these "can we elect moderators?" threads and Force knows what-all redundant topics.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    And maybe there won't be all these "can we elect moderators?" threads and Force knows what-all redundant topics.

There will always be such threads, just as there have been as many as 10 or so such threads in the past four years or so.

3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, I can't speak for all boards re: mod surveys, but I can speak a little bit for what we tried in Fan Fiction, re the whole "discuss with a mod" thread:

We had one of those, once. It died. It was not locked, it died. Particularly since the answer to a lot of the questions was: "Because the owners want it that way."

Why can't we post PG-13 fics?
    Because the owners want it that way.

Why can't we post slash?

Why can't we do such and such?

When we posted in the thread saying, "We're thinking of revising the FAQ, what do you suggest?" we got about 4 useful, constructive responses, which were discussed among the mods and then incorporated because they were darn good ideas. That's it.

Jes, if you seriously want a "mod/user discussion" thread about Fan Fiction policy in Fan Fiction, nothing is stopping you from either starting one yourself or posting to a mod and asking if one can be started. I know ALL the mods would love to get constructive feedback; ideas and suggestions on how to make things better, encourage participation, clarify policies. Most people don't bother, though.

I have to add, in regard to Kimball's earlier comment: Quite a few of the complaints I have gotten about some specific mods have been sent to me by groups that were opposed the the indivudual being promoted in the first place, and who were actively trying to get the mod demoted.

I can only nod vigourously in agreement. I've investigated a few things of this type when I was still a mod, and it became obvious not only to the mods but to most of the other board users that this was a personal vendetta rather than any actual misconduct by the person in question. A very uncomfortable and unfair situation.

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Jes, if you seriously want a "mod/user discussion" thread about Fan Fiction policy in Fan Fiction, nothing is stopping you from either starting one yourself or posting to a mod and asking if one can be started.

As far as I know, the idea is being sussed out with questions - real questions about moderator performance - as we wait.

Personally, I find it interesting that the current fan fiction mods have seemed to have studiously avoided both threads on this discussion - one of which I've 'forgiven' for this 'oversite' as they have always been open to discussion and I respect thier reasoning, but for the most part, (IMNSHO) fan fiction has been on a steady decline over the last few months, and no one seems to give a damn.

5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Breezy: If you'll check the last page on this thread (if you're set at 25/page) you'll see that I did weigh in on this topic.

Secondly, we have been discussing this issue among ourselves to come up with a consensus before we bring it out in the open on the FFR board. Sorry if it looked like nothing was being done, but please be patient.

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    It's nice to know that it's being discussed, LP.

7. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    Thanks, Lady_Padme.

Breezy - there was actually an open discussion thread in fan fic that Dana locked, saying it was a good idea but they were still discussing how to execute it. When I PM'd her asking if it was possible, maybe, to do both - because some of the questions the poster had listed weren't mod-related, but rather community-type (non-policy) questions, she said she'd bring it up. :)

Maybe if we try it in fan fic, and it works, others would be more open to the idea. *shrugs*

8. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    That was me. [face_blush] Jumped the gun a bit, and the questions weren't all mine. I just wanted to get something started since I had no idea if the notion of surveys or whatever was being discussed among the mods. But now I know. :)

9. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    Sorry if it looked like nothing was being done, but please be patient.

Nice to know; difficult to believe.

10. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Nice to know; difficult to believe.

Ease up please - that doesn't help the situation in the slightest. We're all volunteers here, giving up our own time, so give us time to fulfil our promises.

I'm sure the FanFic mods will get back to you in a timely matter.

11. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    I know they will, but I would've liked a quick note to let us know that they were discussing it. It's one of the things that bugs me, that we don't know if something's being looked at - especially since this seems to be a big issue (and not just for FanFic, but for all forums). That's just my preference, though.

12. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Perhaps a short PM to any of the mods in your favourite forum might help answer you questions.

We're all here to be approached via PM. We're all humans, and all enjoy posting at the JC.

I honestly think you'd be surprised at the response you'd get to a friendly PM to a mod once in a while.

13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Yes, I can state from experience that any mod would much rather get a polite PM as opposed to logging in and finding the boards in flames!

And on really rare occasions, a PM from folks saying "I just want to say I think you're doing a great job & I really appreciate it." It happened a few times, always out of the blue from people I almost never heard from, so it was a nice warm fuzzy.

I'd have to add that in the last few months I've thought FanFiction is running very smoothly. No trolls, no flame wars, people being directed to appropriate threads and the Awards going off without much drama. [face_plain] It's actually a pleasure to check in!

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Mistress_Renata

Much as I would love o share your rather rosey view of fan fiction, I'm afraid I can't.

Take for example, the awards discussions. They were one of the biggest fire fests we've seen since the days is discussing 'board policy', I know of at least one 'sock attack' that was thankfully thwarted. There is a LOT of discontentment and disenchantment, but as has always been the case, it's discussed behind closed doors and via more prudent avenues as no one wants to 'rock the boat'. As is the case these days...

15. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Well would you want to discuss something civily and with a purpose out in the open? Where people can all chime in with their 2 cents? Makes it hard to get anything done if you have a ton of people all wanting to get their say in and share their opinion, the only thing that happens is people will get ignored and the process will take longer.

16. Jesina_Dreis

Nov 8, 2004
    EV - That's PART of why we're talking about a survey of the kind mentioned here (which thread you've already posted to) with PMd responses rather than discussion

17. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Yes, I'm fully aware of that thread. And I'm fully aware that I posted on planning on doing that as soon as I can sticky.

However, from what I can garner the talk here (specifially Breezy) is about an open discussion, which wouldn't be "coming in stating your opinion and then getting the hell out of dodge." The impression I'm getting the scenerio would be something akin to "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" (except on a messegeboard).

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    How about this, Sapient creates a new Modsquad screenname sock called "Modbot." However, since shared screennames are taboo, he compiles his password in Word with his eyes closed, then copies and pastes it into the registration window. He closes Word without saving and purges his clipboard memory.

This way, you all PM the "Modbot" whatever survey responses you could ever dream about, covering whatever mods you want to give feedback on.

It's win-win, becuase you have the satisfaction of sending off responses to some survey about some mod.

Modbot may not ever respond, but he would love getting PMs.

19. JadeSolo

Sep 20, 2002
    [face_laugh]

But would some little hacker kid be able to break into the account? :p

I still think the open discussion works if you're allowed only one post. Hopefully people wouldn't break that initial rule and start World War Whatever. Though I guess it's harder to enforce when some forums have longer or unlimited editing times. But I'm just repeating what I said on the survey thread, so I'll stop with this thought.

And to malkie: I know I said it was just my preference to know something was being discussed. I know that a PM can take care of it. But, I don't know, I think everyone should be informed of that. Just so there's not as much seething and griping going on under the surface. :)

20. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Wow, this place became a zoo after I left. Good job, guys. :0

21. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Time warp! [face_hypnotized]

22. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    *is still disappointed that no-one picked up his suggestion for a "Modderence" on the previous page* :p

- The Imperial Ewok

23. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    In theory popular voting, and then conformation by the owners would be a great way to go. A while ago i thought about all of this and talked to several mods and admins, and i came to relaise that it's just not practical. I think that it could be done if some type of sampling were used, but i think it's kind of ovekill. Besides people would complain that they weren't sampled. Also things around here aren't that bad. By the way i do like the idea of an advisory council.

24. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    As unpractical as it may be, it would be a great thing to do if only we could find a flawless way to do this voting process.

25. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    NJOFan...
    "Besides people would complain that they weren't sampled..."

Yep, that's a very accurate assessment. Take a look at how "you" ("you" being the vocal anti-AC crowd at the time of its existence) all treated the Advisory Council, or any other of your peers whom the perception was they got one-up on you for that matter. That group could have functioned in some sort of "sampling" capacity, but the whining about how/why they got "special privileges" was overwhelming.

We don't have something like this that might be capable of doing what you suggest because some of you weren't mature to handle something like this and ruined it for everyone, putting the idea that some users got something you didn't above the betterment of the entire site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.