main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why no "Episode VII"..?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Beezer, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    In the new starwars.com press release, they just refered to episode IV as Star Wars: A New Hope.
    I think that kind of confirms that Star Wars: (Insert title) is the new format they are adopting.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    As long as it is in the crawl and on the box I am happy.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I've seen official websites do that with all titles. It just sounds.... weird to me. I prefer either just the title or SW:Episode_:Title

Saga Explorer and Darkslayer like this.
  4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've said I'd be okay with it before, but I'm liking the idea even more. I would love if they dropped the episode number, and just used the title. I suppose (for continuity, if nothing else) as long as they still number the episode in the crawl I'd be perfectly happy with it.

5. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
  6. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    If that's the case, why even bother writing "Star Wars" and just the title when it's obviously referring to the franchise? If they're not using Episode number to distinguish which Episode they're talking about, then the title is enough. No need to remind us seven times what series it is

Saga Explorer likes this.
  7. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Yeah.It really looks off the way they present it now .
    Star Wars :Episode ... Title is still the best in my opinion.
    It's one saga .(That's why I refer to the PT as EI-III and OT,CT,T(how many names can it have ?!) as EIV-VI so that it doesn't separate the trilogies/saga that much .

Seagoat likes this.
  8. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    Wouldn't the same logic apply if they were still including the episode numbers? The old style of Star Wars Episode # - Subtitle did the same thing. Of course we don't need to be reminded what franchise this is, but casual "fans" or the general public may not know that Attack of the Clones is a Star Wars film. Those are the demographics they're targeting when marketing this stuff, not us. We're already bought in.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Difference being the website you linked to is starwars.com

I think if you're on a site called "starwars" with the SW logo everywhere, I don't exactly think it's necessary if they won't include the ep number

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  10. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    Right, but they've always done that. In last year's Star Wars Weekends announcement, it was Star Wars: Episode Number Subtitle for each. No one had an issue with the title formatting then. It makes total sense from a marketing perspective to have one consistent way to format the titles of your films, whether it's on your official site or anywhere else.

11. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Hm, true.

I don't know why, but the format comes across as pretentious to me. It's probably just my opinion though

12. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Right now, you can get free Star Wars posters in Honey Nut cheerios!!!! (and some others)
    they are the Drew Struzan posters.
    However, probably to make things constistant, they removed the original titles and replaced it with
    Star
    Wars
    (subtitle)

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I disagree with that decision if that is indeed the way they go, the episode numbers IMO are something that really only belonged to Star Wars and helped to differentiate it from other franchises.

14. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    :confused:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think just the use of the word "Episode" is enough to make this something that only belongs to Star Wars and differentiates it.

15. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    Well I like the use of it as it is only a part of a larger saga.
    It is basically a long film/journey divided into Episodes.

Darkslayer likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I do :p

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The most recent digital release of the Star Wars saga seemed to have dropped the numbers from most of the write ups / download links I can see. Just "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace", "Star Wars: The Empire Stirkes Back", etc. etc.

TheYodaPagoda and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  18. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Star Wars Episode.......... was only introduced for the prequels and personally I see no need to carry on with using the episode number in the title. Its too wordy. I'm pleased to see they've gone back to the OT way of titling them, although even back then the title Star Wars was always in smaller print. As long as the episode number is in the opening crawl (which I assume it will be) then thats perfectly adequate I think.

19. jeero

jeero Jedi Knight

Apr 11, 2015
    Forbidden Island likes this.
  20. Saga Explorer

Mar 14, 2015
    • I kind of like it for one reason : If the movie doesn't fit within the established saga or it doesn't feel like Star Wars , the lack of title (even when it is on the opening crawl and on some sites ) will help to separate it from the saga.

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I think you are on to something there. If I see a movie title with a high number, I associate it with crap movie series. And obviously Disney doesn't want us to think we're going to see a crap movie.

22. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I think part of dropping the number might be in case they do movies that predate The Phantom Menace in the timeline (*cough* KOTOR *cough*). If that is the long-term reason why they are doing it then I am completely on-board, as long as the main Episodes still get the number in the opening crawls. Also, this new method could be used to make spin-offs taking place in between existing films fit in more naturally as well - plus it would help to avoid making the spin-off titles feel a bit "less important" than the ones with episode numbers in them.

23. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I think they're having a bob each way. By dropping the episode numbers they're de-emphasising the overarching saga idea, but they're not doing so to the extent that they'll drop the SW title all together. Personally I like just the title best.

24. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Like I already said, as long as it is in the craw and on the box I am good. With that said though, with having standalone movies coming out between proper saga movies that could cause confusion with people not as familiar as us. Obviously Disney does not feel it is important enough to worry about, but it is a potential problem.

25. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    True that! But too bad they have even removed episodes numbers on iTunes in the digital edition of old episodes:(

I am still hoping to see EPISODE VII in the crawl!