main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why no "Episode VII"..?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Beezer, Nov 28, 2014.

1. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I'll bet everything I own that The Force Awakens will open exactly how every other Star Wars film has opened. Keep in mind, when we saw Empire and Jedi back in 'the day,' the only time we saw those episode numbers was in that opening crawl. For years and years afterward, kids I knew would make rumors that they were making the first three episodes. Amazing what some episode numbers will do to a kid's imagination!

Chris_Fives likes this.
  2. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    Wait, The Dark Knight is the sequel of Batman Begins? I never would've guessed!

3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I knew someone in 2008 who didn't realize this movie title she'd been hearing "The Dark Knight" was a new Batman movie.

4. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Probably to give TFA its own identity. Calling it Star Wars Episode VII would imply way too much and would create expectations. By omitting the Ep VII from the title, even though it is certainly Ep VII, we are all still up for anything to happen, whether it is a direct continuation following ROTJ or a brand new set of characters and story lines. But by explicitly placing that Ep VII preface in the title, there would be certain expectations that simply could not be avoided.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Good point.

I actually would prefer if they just drop all the numbers and have only the titles.

It worked for Harry Potter...[face_whistling]

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Well, even the spines of the books and the DVDs had "Year 1, Year 2" etc. on them. I'm fine with Episode "Whatever" being in the opening crawl, but I like it being omitted from the marketing. It makes The Force Awakens feel like its being touted as its own film, rather than merely the latest installment in an ongoing narrative.