main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why some people hate "Padme dying of Sadness" ?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by antitoxicgamer, Dec 28, 2020.

1. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Trauma has different effects on different people. It’s easy for us to sit here and think we’d ‘tough it out’. It’s not until we’re going through it ourselves that we see how we’d really react.

I mean, I like to consider myself a pretty tough guy. That I could endure whatever trauma awaited me but even I know I have limits. And, as much as it scares me to admit, there are certain traumas that I know would just break me. Lose the will to go on and, well, what’s a nice way to put this...

Tender my resignation from life.

Psychologically, Padmé would’ve done any number of things. Shoot herself with a blaster, become an embittered alcoholic slamming down six cold ones per day. Again, trauma has a different effect and it’s not up to us to decide how they should react. We can help them through it, we can listen to them, but that’s about it.

And the Padmé we see in ROTS was not the Padmé from the first two films. That younger Padmé still had allies. She still had hope for the Republic, and she had the Jedi. This Padmé? The one dying in the medical facility? She has nobody. And worse, her brain is probably telling her this is all her fault because she had to support Palpatine’s bid for power.

Now, could it had been better written? Sure, of course. Have Vader actually kill her. Or better yet, have her survive so as to not retcon Leia’s speech about remembering her mom. Maybe we see the beginnings of Padmé developing alcoholism, implying that she eventually drank herself to death. As for Luke? Well, whose to say she doesn’t keep tabs on him?

But basically, we can’t control how people react to trauma, and it is not our place to tell them what they’re allowed to think or feel.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Padme was not mentally ill. She had shown no signs of depression even as it exists in the GFFA prior to ROTS. So in order to say that she has a mental illness, one would have to say that she developed one because Anakin turned evil and/or because the Republic turned into an Empire. Which goes to what I said earlier.

And writers can control how fictional characters react to trauma, it is up to the writers to tell them how to react, and yes, we in the audience can judge what we see on screen. We can judge what we see as a codependent wilting flower. We are not in a position to “help [Padme] through it,” because she is a fictional character.

The idea that criticism of the writing of Padme equates to being mean to mentally ill people is an attempt to shut down any criticism of the writing of Padme—but if that’s the angle some of you insist on taking here, I’m not especially concerned about strangers on the Internet thinking I’m “horrible” to mentally ill people in the real world because I don’t want a character I enjoyed watching, become a codependent who lost her spine for her husband.

As far as her “having no one”—sure, she gave birth with no one around except the medical droids. There were no humans there who not only took her babies but also were not allied with the fascist regime themselves.

Padme becoming an alcoholic would not have been any better. Have you all seen all the criticism about Luke in the ST hiding out and “waiting to die” when the Resistance needed him? Similar situation here, other than the lack of issue with men in storytelling being traditionally written as codependent wilting flowers.

3. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    I never had a problem with how Padmé dies. It's tragic, but why shouldn't it be? She's a tragic character. I prefer Padmé over characters like Leia, Rey, or Ahsoka, very much because feels more human and vulnerable than they do.

That said, I kind of like the theory that Sidious was draining her life energy and putting it into helping Anakin/ Vader live through the operation. It adds even more tragic irony to it all, and it does kinda make sense.

4. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    What do you mean she has nobody? She has two kids, I mean they are going to be separated and in hiding but still. Also Yoda, Kenobi, and Bail are there, I’m pretty sure she considers them friends. And unless I’m mistaken she still has family on Naboo, her parents and I think she has a sister as well

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, Bail has to protect his planet and people, so he can't openly do anything for her. Kenobi and Yoda have to hide out on planets outside the Empire and adopt new identities (crazy old Ben Kenobi, and some nutty muppet in a swamp) in order to stay alive. Her family will be watched, and targeted, in case they so much as look in her direction. And as for her kids, if anyone makes a mistake, Palpatine will either go into Herod mode and kill anyone who might fit the description, or find them and kindly take them in to be educated in the ways of the New Order. And, remember, it looks like the galaxy actually supports the new Empire, with thunderous applause. There is no Rebel Alliance, organized or not.
    In her mind, she's pretty much alone, and a threat to anyone who might be left.

antitoxicgamer likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But she is not actually alone. If Obi-Wan and Yoda can go into hiding, and Bail and Mon Mothma can resist the Empire (albeit not openly at first), then she can do the same. And if Palpatine did not go Herod-mode after she died, there is no reason to think he would do so if she went into hiding.

Obi-Wan and Yoda were actually alone, and they did not “lose the will to live.”

I’m looking at the GFFA reality, not some alternative reality that Padme should have never created in her mind, if that is indeed what she did. I think Lucas just wanted a symbolic scenario with Padme dying as Vader rose, and created a wilting flower story because those happen in Shakespeare and in Greek tragedies, and did not consider how terrible such a storyline works for a female character, one who was once a leader, in a 21st century film.

naw ibo, wobbits, starfish and 3 others like this.
  7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    They still could have had Padme die from her injuries. Saying there was nothing wrong with her was the issue. Perhaps Lucas thought the audience would never forgive Anakin?

8. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    It's nice to see that some can recognize that it's not that easy or simple to endure a traumatic event. After all, Padme had endured the fall of the Republic/rise of the Empire, Anakin's turn to evil, Anakin's jealous attack upon her and giving birth to twins within a space of 48 hours or less. I just find it sad that some believe that overcoming all of these and her own despair for the sake of the twins was some kind of duty that she was obligated to do. That is not how our emotions work. It's like someone ordering you to overcome your grief for the death of a loved one.

We're supposed to demand that such scenarios cannot happen to a woman character for the sake of gender politics?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes.

And it’s not about “how emotions work.” It’s about not being ruled by emotions or allowing emotions to lead you into making bad decisions. In that way, Padme would be written as someone who is aspirational. Which she was, prior to ROTS.

There is really no point in listing all the bad things that happened to Padme. We all saw the movies, we know what happened. And the Republic becoming an Empire happened to everyone else on the heroic side, and Anakin’s fall happened to Obi-Wan as well.

And I would add that she was not obligated to stay in the fight “because of the twins.” Just as Obi-Wan, Yoda and Bail were not obligated to stay in the fight “because of the twins.” They were obligated because a totalitarian fascist ***hole had taken over and good, intelligent people needed to push back on that, as immediately and as forcefully as possible. This was an all-hands-on-deck situation. And not because of Luke and Leia, but because of the galaxy as a whole.

10. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    If Padme was suffering from sudden onset depression, the droids would still be able to suspect or diagnose that. Same as medical professionals in our world could suggest and diagnose someone as suffering from a panic attack or even possibly generalized anxiety if that person presents symptoms that, for example, mimic a heart attack but tests confirm no cardiac or other issue to be at fault. Then there would be the effort made to connect that person with appropriate mental health resources. In our world, psychologists, psychiatrists, support groups, etc. Medical professionals in our world wouldn't just do the equivalent of shrug, hold up their hands, and say, that there is nothing medically wrong with Padme (because depression or generalized anxiety or a panic attack is something medically wrong and diagnosable by competent medical professionals) and that for some reason they don't understand she has lost the will to live.

Depression also is again unlikely to kill a person by itself. A depressed person may try to commit suicide, but Padme didn't do that to our knowledge.

Re-watching the scene for this thread, I'm surprised that the droids didn't just hook Padme up to a life support machine and book her some appointments with the galaxy far, far away equivalent of a psychologist until she had regained the will to live rather than voluntarily put her through the trauma of surgery and childbirth to supposedly save the children she is carrying when I think just hooking Padme up to a life support system and getting her some appointments with a psychologist would have saved her and the kids. And let's not even talk about how morally questionable it is to prioritize the children's lives over their mother's life.

Like would Padme have even needed to go through the trauma of childbirth at that time if the medical droids hadn't decided they needed to operate on her at once to save the children? Re-watching the medical droid's bizarre conversation with Obi-Wan, I'm tempted to conclude no. Padme doesn't seem to have been in labor before that. So not sure why the decision was made to put her body through the taxing experience of a surgery instead of putting her on life support and getting her professional psychological help.

It's not a lack of compassion with the audience. It's a suspicious lack of quality medical care in a universe with bacta baths, an Anakin/Vader who can survive multiple maimings and a lava dump, a Maul who can survive getting cut through with a lightsaber and a drop down a pit so deep we can't see the bottom, and a Palpatine who can survive a similar fall plus an exploding Death Star. A universe where deaths in childbirth should be rarer even than in developed nations on our own earth. A universe where people probably shouldn't just keel over dead when there is supposedly nothing medically wrong with them (and depression like generalized anxiety is a diagnosable medical condition professionals are trained to recognize and treat, not see as some mystery) because they have just lost the will to live.

Remember, Padme doesn't even get a diagnosis in universe by the medical droids. Not of depression. Not of Takotsubo Syndrome. Not of any of the medical conditions people have proposed in this thread. She was pronounced as having nothing medically wrong with her and depression and Takotsubo Syndrome are examples of things being medically wrong with people that are diagnosable and able to be treated. They are not things that doctors in our world would declare as essentially untreatable and decide all that can be done is operate on the woman who went through recent trauma to try to save the babies because there is apparently nothing else that can be done for the woman in question.

11. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019

That is sad. And it's a sign to me that due to politics, we're not allowed to regard female or POCs with the same level of complexities as white male characters. That is something I refuse to play along with.

The Republic had just fallen. Palpatine has become the new Emperor. And Obi-Wan, Yoda and Bail Organa are supposed to ignore that the galaxy is undergoing a traumatic change in order to find psychological help for Padme . . . as if they were living in the early 21st century?

I believe in feminine empowerment. But that doesn't mean I want to reshape women characters as these near flawless beings who can overcome anything. That is not realistic to me. Not even for fiction.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    The medical care center where Padme was brought which in a galaxy far, far away seems to be more medically advanced than twenty-first century Earth should certainly be equipped to recognize depression and at least provide referrals to galaxy far,far away equivalents of psychologists.

Obi-Wan, Bail, and Yoda brought Padme to a medical center. It was the medical center that failed Padme, not them. As I said, no wonder Obi-Wan looks baffled at like the worst quality medical care and diagnosis from the droids who are just like, “Ah, well, she lost the will to live. There is nothing we can do but put her body through more trauma.”

Receiving quality medical and psychological care is a basic right, not some sort of sign that female characters are flawless and getting psychological care does not make someone perfect. I know this because of my own experiences with psychological care. I am not perfect but I have gotten psychological care to help me overcome obstacles. So have friends and co-workers regardless of gender. What I am saying seems absolutely realistic to me with my own life experiences and the life experiences of people I know.

I do not know how psychological care is less realistic than surviving a lava bath or having lightspeed travel or Death Stars or the Force itself.

Doompup, naw ibo, wobbits and 4 others like this.
  13. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    reducing people to bad stereotypes is not complex, it’s the opposite of complex, it’s generalizing people

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Which white male character in the PT “lost the will to live” due to a spouse turning evil or the Republic turning into an Empire? I’ll wait.

The notion that the only way to write a female character as “complex” is to promote the same horrible antiquated stereotypes that have been promoted in nearly every story in cinema (and bad romance novels) is reductive in and of itself.

I’ll change my stance on whether female characters should be portrayed that way when there is an equal tendency to write white male codependent wilting flowers. I don’t find an effort to move away from that bad stereotype of women “sad” at all. Insisting on continuing it would be “sad.”

No. She is supposed to do what they did, and hide out as needed and keep fighting.

There are many, many realistic depictions of women that do not portray them in bad antiquated stereotypes. The issue here is with thinking that “realistically” portrayed women MUST be or SHOULD be portrayed in that stereotype.

THIS.

15. antitoxicgamer

antitoxicgamer Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 9, 2020
    The main problem of "Padme not dying during child birth" idea is this that Padme herself would never allowed Yoda and Obi Wan to separate Luke and Leia from her.

christophero30 likes this.
  16. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It also stands to point out that Anakin likewise lost everything (through his own actions, sure) yet he somehow didn't kill himself or lose the will to live. Why couldn't she do the same? I think that's part of the issue, if not the whole issue. Anakin, through his own actions, enslaves the Republic to the Sith, kills the family he's known for 13 years, and mistakenly believes he killed his own wife and unborn children but he still keeps fighting. And he's more alone than Padme.

Exactly. Once she was medically stabilized, the medical droids should've just informed the others 'OK she'll live but needs rest' and that's it. Let Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Bail figure out the rest.

Padme would still have trauma, yes. However -- and this is where I amend my previous post -- she would wake up to friendly faces. A competent writer might have her go through the ringer of 'It's my fault for supporting that bastard! I should've done this or that instead!' but not just 'welp, time to die'. Indeed -- and only if Lucas had kept those damn scenes where she was forming a proto-Rebellion -- she would remember the allies she was forming before this incident and, with the help of Bail and the Jedi, formulate some kind of plan. As far as her thinking Anakin is still in there, well, she might actually just be done with him by this point. Far as she'd be concerned, her lovely husband died long ago, by the monster she met on Mustafar. She would use that anger as a drive to exact revenge.

And how would she hide her babies? Well, plastic surgery. What? We have them here in our universe, surely the GFFA would have something similar and much more fancier. She'd have to change her appearance and assume a new identity so as to protect her children and family from unwanted visits from Imperial stormtroopers.

Huh, now I'm in the mood to write that out. :D Sounds like a far more interesting tale than what we got.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  17. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    Lucas chose to kill her because that was the best way to end her story.

She would never allow Obi Wan to bring Luke to Tatooine.(A place which Anakin's mother was brutally killed by the Sand People. she considered them as "Evil" in The Attack of the clones.)

18. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    That's one interpretation, but not the only one. It never seemed to me like that. If anything, the only emotions that Padme's storyline woke in me are love, empathy, sympathy, and rage because of how Anakin treated her. Not even once did I think that she is weak or pathetic or anything of the sort. She died as a leader for me, just my personal opinion. And yes, her story was tragic, but so was everyone's in the prequels. Mace Windu, Plo Koon, Aayla Secura and all the other Jedi died in that movie too, some of them not even being able to put up a fight. Yoda retreated after failing to stop Palpatine. Anakin succumbed to the dark side and we are not supposed to feel sympathy for him, we are supposed to feel that he destroyed everything and blame him. ROTS is not a story that elevates anyone on the expense of a female character being sacrificed, it's a story where everyone has a tragic and miserable ending, whether they die or not.

That would have been better probably. I think if they said that she died because of the physical stress she was put through, it wouldn't have been any worse for Anakin than it already was. I mean, for me it always felt that Anakin Force choking her was partially responsible for her death too.

None, but many white male characters were shown as defeated or weak or lame or however you want to call it. And that's kind of a question without a possible answer, since no white male had a spouse turning evil in the movie. I don't think that Amidala chose to die, as was insinuated earlier in the topic. It wasn't a choice, that's not what the movie says. I do agree that it would have been better to have her die in a different manner, or without an explanation even. That line from that droid doesn't need to be there. But I think that Lucas was focusing on making us feel bad for her tragic end , not feel that she was weak or blame her for dying.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  19. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    The big evil of the galaxy was a white male character. Anakin whom became the 2nd most evil character was also a white male. On the other hand, we never had any female villains in George Lucas Star Wars movies. You can look it that way too.

Some can say that Anakin died in episode 6 due to "losing his will to live". And yet no male ever complained about that at all.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t think it elevated everyone at the expense of the female character either but the female character is the one that got diminished in that specific manner, which is the issue. And sure, taking out “lost the will to live” would have made a difference, then the film could have gone with Palpatine draining her life force.

And my question about which white male characters “lose the will to live” over a spouse turning evil was in response to the absurd premise in order to write Padme in as “complex” a manner as white male characters are written, she had to become codependent and “lose the will to live,” as if the only way to write female characters in a “complex” manner was to write them in bad stereotypes. According to that logic, the male characters are not “complex” either since they aren’t “losing the will to live.”

I could, but I won’t. As you can see from my avatar, I have no problem with female villains.

No one in ROTJ ever said that Anakin died from “losing the will to live.” And in some Infinities universe where that did happen, we would still have the issue of female characters being portrayed over and over in the antiquated stereotype of codependency on men.

21. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I agree with the above for the most part.
    Anakin was codependent with Padme as well though. A lot, actually.

wobbits and devilinthedetails like this.
  22. antitoxicgamer

Sep 9, 2020
    When women marry they become dependent on their husbands. More so than men getting dependent on their wives.

That is why Divorces always effects the women much more negatively than men.

23. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    Guidman edit: yeah, no we're not doing that at all. Here's the warning, you can cry in the Unban Request if it goes further.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2021
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

Seriously? You’re going by that stereotype? All women everywhere become more dependent on their husbands when they get married?

Gender pay gaps aside, which is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed but still does not affect all women, there is nothing true about that statement. And Padme had more money than Anakin so even the gender pay gap issue, if it exists in the GFFA, would not affect her, which means the awful antiquated “generalization” you just made could not possibly apply here.

But by all means continue with the ridiculous views of women straight out of the 1950s.

No, we don’t, but I see you are continuing the sexism you have been banned for in other areas of the site.

25. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    lol, you two are just being obviously sexist now, seriously?

Shaak Ti, naw ibo, wobbits and 2 others like this.