main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why was Threepio driving?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by MasterYoda510, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterYoda510

MasterYoda510 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2005
    "Might be our little R2 unit, hit the accelerator!"

Luke's line indicated that Threepio was driving the landspeeder.

My question: Why?

2. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Luke was drunk as hell.

3. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    In the Star Wars novel Threepio tells Owen Lars that his full name is See Vee Threepio - Vee for versatility. When driving for Luke he confesses that "on occasion I have been called upon to perform unexpected functions in circumstances which would have appalled my designers." It also refers to Luke "luxuriating in unaccustomed relaxation as Threepio skillfully directed the powerful landcraft around dunes and rocky outcrops". So maybe Luke was just being a lazy blighter that morning.

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    lol!!

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I saw something in the CT doc. where it showed Threepio driving the landspeeder in the first cut.

6. Master_Ikrik

Master_Ikrik Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2004
    Luke had other things on his mind obviously....... probably thinking about how he is going to be a Jedi like his father or something like that.

7. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004

In the first cut it looked terrible from that angle and having 3PO to drive like that. He looked like a little kid spinning the wheel aimlessly in every direction but what he was driving went perfectly straight. I guess Luke was using his binoculars [or whatever they are called in ANH] because that's something that 3PO can't do, so 3PO had to drive.

8. BrideofVader

BrideofVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2005
    It is hard to drive while looking for an R2 unit through binoculars.

9. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    Amen, brother!

10. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    If Threepio can drive a Naboo Starship, he can drive a Landspeeder.

11. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    But he probably didn't have to actually fly the Naboo Starship. Just set it on autopilot and enter the coordinates of a landing site once they got closer to Mustafar.

12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    3-PO was flying the ship.

13. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    I think Han should have let him fly the Falcon while they were in the asteroid field...

14. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Precisely.

15. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002

lol I was thinking about this a couple nights ago and I was like, "Nah it couldn't be! It is!"

Why on earth was Threepio driving?

16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm going on memory here, and it's been a while since I've watch ANH very closely, but I clearly remember him driving. I agree with the other posts, it was to allow Luke to look for R2 with is binoculars.

17. sith-lord-dore

sith-lord-dore Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    we don't actually see him driving the speeder a bit far back in the shot to really see who really driving

18. IDigMetalBikinis

IDigMetalBikinis Jedi Master star 2

Oct 1, 2003
    What gets me about that shot is that Anthony Daniels and Mark Hamill are obviously having a conversation that has NOTHING to do with Hamill's V.O. on screen, with Daniels clearly moving his hand, accentuating a conversational point to Hamill.

I DEMAND that be removed for saga continuity[face_whistling]

19. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Why not? I,ll let 3PO drive all the time. [face_worried] Well until I need to do a gutsy move or something.

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    ^ [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

As I recall, the driver's seat on the speeder (I had the toy as a kid, will be sure to double check at my parents' house at thanksgiving) is on the right-hand side, which is where C3PO is sitting.

21. Madam_Author

Madam_Author Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    If you listen to the Radio Drama of ANH C-3PO offers to drive the landspeeder while Luke looks through the binoculars. It is a simple case of Luke not being able to both drive safely and look for R2 at the same time.

22. Darth-Adroit

Darth-Adroit Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 2004
    Well we know one of Luke?s influences was Ben and Ben was a member of the Anchorhead AA Chapter.

Ben: ?Hi my name is Ben and I?m an alcoholic.?

Group: ?Hi Ben?

Ben: ?At one time I only drank on special occasions. My drinking became more frequent as I trained the chosen one and when he fell to the dark side and killed everyone I liked I started hitting the bottle hardcore. After nearly two decades in the desert I am now a raging Alcoholic.?

23. Astral_Bug

Astral_Bug Jedi Master star 1

Sep 19, 2005
    Um, maybe Luke WAS driving, but he couldn't handle all the controls, like maybe one hand on the steering wheel, one holding binoculars, so C-3PO had to hit the accelerator for him.

As for Padme's Naboo yacht, I think she did the piloting. Yeah, Treepio says something about flying, but remember, Padme sits on the right side, like in the AOTC. The yacht, unlike Falcon, has pilot on the right. Methinks.

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I always assume Falcon was like most airplanes, where both the pilot and copilot can fly. I'm pretty sure the speeder only had controls on the right, though, like cars in the UK, and that's where C3PO was sitting.

25. saq428

saq428 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 30, 2005
    He had no idea his father was a Jedi at this point in time. Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru were still alive, and he had yet to bump into Ben yet. At this point in time he was still a farm boy from Tatooine looking for a lost droid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.