main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Arena Winning Time: The Rise of The Lakers Dynasty

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Mar 6, 2022.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

[​IMG]

Naturally I'm rather excited for this; some of this casting is spot-on (Reilly as Buss, Quincy Isaiah as Magic), and I do like this a mini-series/docudrama, as opposed to another documentary/talking head production.

Aside from my nonsense, I'm curious to see if anybody else around here, even beyond the usual basketball crowd (HBO's been promoting this rather heavily) is interested & will be watching. The NBA wouldn't be where it is today without the efforts of Buss & company (along with their counterparts in Boston) in the 80's (though I don't think this covers the entire decade); love, hate or indifferent to them, the Showtime Lakers made quite the cultural mark.

darth_gersh likes this.
  2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    The Lakers have carried the NBA to levels that can’t even be made into numbers. The L.A. vs Boston days were classic Basketball that were a big part of my childhood. I don’t have HBO, but I really would like to see this show. When I say show, I mean they pretty much invented the meaning of the NBA show.

DarthTunick and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I was on the Boston side of that equation (with Parish being my favorite), but man, what a time for basketball.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    DarthTunick likes this.
  4. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    As it’s HBO will we be seeing him work his magic with his Johnson?

5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    As one of the all-time great point guards, his ball-handling skills are superb, so…

Darth Punk likes this.
  6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Tunes you son of a b - I’m in.

7. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    John C. Reilly was great the first episode, the standout. It does have the smugness of the recent Adam McKay stuff; I don't know how I feel about the 4th wall breaking.

Hopefully they do something more with Jerry West instead of having him just flip out the entire show. Pretty good start, seems like it's going to be a slow burn.

DarthTunick likes this.
  8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Yeah, John C. Reilly was superb, though the 4th wall stuff didn't bother me... it was the going back in cinematography styles in the same damn scene that irked me. Also, concerning West, he was indeed a tortured soul as a coach, etc, given how so much of his playing career went, but this first episode essentially glosses over the fact that the Lakers won the title in the '71-'72 season (with a 33-game winning streak, no less), West's only one as a player; you see the banner up in the Forum rafters briefly at the end of the episode, but that's it.

Did a good job, though, with the other historical stuff: West's insistence they draft Moncrief, since they already had Norm Nixon (played by his real-life son!), Kareem's prickish attitude. Also really liked the lunch scene between Buss, Magic, his father & Cooke.

Guidman likes this.
  9. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016

Looks good. Apparently this season speeds things up, taking place over four years.

10. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/10x Wacky Wed. Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Season 1 was a wheels of Jerry West.
    Looks like Pat Riley will be taking his lead in Season 2.

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    If they're going to do a multi-year season, then ideally they'd end with the '84 Finals, and have season 3 focus on '85-'87.

Guidman likes this.
  12. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 7

Nov 21, 2012
    First season was excellent. Glad to see S2 is already coming out soon.

13. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Well Winning Time season 2 premieres to tonight. A show about the Lakers Dynasty from the '80's. A completely over the top portrayal of the actual events that consistently breaks the fourth wall while the episodes are going on. But at the same time thoroughly enjoyable to watch.

Haven't watched the premiere episode of season 2 yet but the season 2 reviews are pretty good so far. Season 2 should cover the '80-'84 seasons.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2023
  14. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Loved S1. Didn't know that S2 was this far along.

Being from Boston, I loved the episodes showing the city in the 70s, how dirty and disgusting it was, along with their rivalry.

15. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah Boston should have an even bigger presence this season. Even though history makes it sound like they battled each other throughout the entire decade they didn't actually start facing off against each other in the finals until the mid '80's. Hope this series goes all the way up to when Jordan and the Bulls start winning their titles in the early 90's.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  16. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Thread merge

heels1785 likes this.
  17. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    They are releasing podcasts along with each episode and it is interesting to hear the things that they fictionalized.

18. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    First ep was great. Same feeling and quality as S1.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    @AvarandElzarsittininatree That is where the book ends but it's a very short blurb. There is quite a bit but not a ton about that season including their expected run in the playoffs but once it got to the finals it was very short. On a side note I find it interesting and that had the Lakers won that series, it would been Magic sixth NBA title the same number Jordan wound up so basically that series in retrospect ultimately decided who have six titles...Magic or Michael? We all know how that ended obviously.

And while I love the series and thought last night was a great season opener, I can see why many former Lakers are honked off. It's sensationalized to the highest degree lol.

20. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah I can completely understand why many of the real people involved don't care too much for the series as it is a very over the top portrayal and is pretty much just as much comedy as it is an actual story of the events that occurred.

21. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I mean....there's a reason why you get John C Riley in the top spot. it's a historical drama, but under the context of 4th wall breaking comedy, bordering on satire.

And that's not something we're always used to in historical dramas. They're usually played straight and serious. Almost like Oscar bait. But like The Great on Hulu, there's room for other ways of doing stories about history.

22. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    It's really just comes down to a ratings thing as more people would likely watch a comedic version of a sports team than a serious depiction of one.

A serious depiction of this story has pretty much already been made anyways in the 30 for 30 Lakers vs Celtics documentary.

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Strong-ish start to season 2; the Kareem-Magic drama/Westhead's belief in his system (that's doomed to cause more issues) was done well, as was the Johnson family decision to have Magic be there after the birth of the son the public doesn't really know about. The Buss family dynamic between the dud sons & Jeanie is good, too, but honestly the focus should just be on Jeanine there. Would have liked to see a little more Claire, too. Adrien Brody as Riley is going to be standout this season.

Line of the episode, during the dinner scene with Buss, Auerbach & company- Sharman quips (after a proposal to put the NBA on cable): "Nobody is going to pay for TV."

Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
  24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Anyone watch episode 2? :p The stuff with Jerry & Honey was weak, but the drama between Norm & Magic, Paul & Pat was good stuff. Angry Jerry West remains endlessly entertaining. Have a feeling the Lakers '81-'82 season will go better than '80-'81.

25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I liked it. Good ep.

DarthTunick likes this.