main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Word Race! Post your final count by January 2nd. Survey Now Up.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Some impressive numbers here! Well, somehow, against all odds, I've made it up to 2141, working both on my larger story and on a one-shot. Maybe I'll get my groove back yet, though Trouble Chapter still remains frustratingly incomplete... [face_frustrated]

Chyntuck likes this.
  2. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Well... DRL railroaded me so, since the last count, I have 0 words written for this challenge. All words written this week were emails to my boss and coworkers. :rolleyes:

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Up through today inclusive of notes for two diaries, [face_dancing] I have 4,000.

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.
  4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Today's word count: 2641. It seems very strange to just keep writing on my rough draft and not go back to rewrite or polish anything I've written.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am up to 2840. I am not doing so well. NaNo burnt me out.

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Right there with you—I'm only in the 2000s myself. :( But it's still 2000-something more than I probably would have written without this challenge! I do hope it'll be done again. :)

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    List has been updated.

I made it to 7211, AND I'M ONLY LIKE 2 SCENES AWAY FROM FINISHING THIS STUPID FIC (it started out awesome, but I never did clearly think out the actual action/mystery part of the plot). So that alone has kinda made this worth it for me. I know many of you might be disappointed with your numbers, and I'll admit that I know December wasn't exactly the most optimum month for many of you, but I got the idea and wanted to try it out. But I'm really hoping this 'race' has made you write more than you would have.

Depending on the final results, I may talk it over with Mav and adjust the prizes. Because I'm not sure anyone is going to make it to 25,000 (which brings me to my weird 1 am question: how the hell to Nano people write 50,000 words in a month?).

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    One great and unexpected side benefit of the race, is I've gotten strong long-running bunnies :cool: ... it's like thinking about writing has sparked the idea-factory [face_laugh]

9. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I've been working on a challenge response which will end up being longer than intended. Sometimes, it is hard to be concise :p

My total is 8713.

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [quote-Briannakin]Are you hoping to recover and keep up with your final goal (if you have one)?[[/quote]

I don't have a final numbers goal, but I am hoping to recover after only actually participating in one day! I'm hoping to get something done Christmas week because I feel like it's usually quiet for me. Partly because, even though I've been out of school for three years Christmases, I can't break the habit of thinking of it as winter break 8-}

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I did some writing yesterday and today, but of course I still didn't finish the piece I wanted to finish. Total 10904.

Findswoman likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Chyntuck - you busted the 10,000 ceiling. =D= =D= [face_party] I do love looong one-shots. :D

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Actually my one-shot is stuck somewhere in the middle, so I reverted to drafting the second part of my main fic. I often find that writing one-shots is more difficult, probably because I don't take enough time to let the story mature in my head before I start writing. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Findswoman and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes! I have that problem also. Which is mainly why I've never really written anything significant except my super-long storyline in my RPG.

Speaking of which, I have not written anything since the 2nd. To be fair, DRL has been kicking my butt (though it provided quite a bit of fun the last couple of days). I'm going to try to make a special effort this week to write. I need to write two posts for my RPG, plus I have a fic-gift to write (for which the plot is cooking in my head) and a plot bunny taken from the old plot bunny donation thread that I may write if I can expand it into a full plot. I just need to stop making excuses as to why I can't write. :p

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I feel like I shouldn't even bother to post here, but whatevs. :p Added 820, so count is now 4,420. Woop-de-doo, LOL.

Chyntuck and Nyota's Heart like this.
  16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I was able to sneak in a few "stolen moments" with my story today, resulting in a total of 2290. I'm going to see if I make it to 3000 over the next week or so. Baby steps, baby steps! :D

Chyntuck and Nyota's Heart like this.
  17. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I'm actually kind of disappointed that no one referenced the OVER 9000 meme for this little race, seeing as at least one person is close to turning into the quintuple digits... ;)

For your consideration:

Chyntuck likes this.
  18. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Today kinda sucked. I made it to 7562. BUT I STILL DIDN'T FINISH THIS FIC! Ugh. So very disappointed in my self.

And I don't think anyone has referenced OVER 9000! yet because only one person has actually made it there

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Huh, I was not aware of that meme.

OVER 9000!!!!!!!!

To wit, 10,791.

Chyntuck, Goodwood and Nyota's Heart like this.
  20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I'd never heard of that meme! I'll go to bed less ignorant tonight. But first, I'm going to write a bit :)

JadeLotus and Nyota's Heart like this.
  21. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    My holiday fic is giving me a boost - 12,639 words.

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I feel like a real underachiever; word count is only 2803. Last night I worked on fan art instead. Dashing off rough drafts like this is really not my preferred way to work. I feel like I've only got this much written because I got several scenes blocked out during vacation. But you'll notice I haven't posted anything because they're still in rough draft. :(

Chyntuck likes this.
  23. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Don't feel like too much of an underachiever. I'm still sitting at my original # from three weeks ago. Hopefully I'll get to make up some of the deficit this weekend (finally!).

Chyntuck, JadeLotus and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Up through today, made 5,073. :) :)

Chyntuck and JadeLotus like this.
  25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Same here; my number hasn't changed in two weeks. However, I'm hoping to do some writing here in just a few minutes as soon as I catch up on email.

EDIT: Got another RPG post done for 1,406 words, bringing my total to 2,507. I plan to do some work on my fic-gift later this week, if not tonight.

Chyntuck likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.