main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would you like to see George Lucas involved again in the new movies ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by gezvader28, Jul 26, 2021.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't mean as a director but more as a consultant and /or story provider.

We've all got our opinions about the prequels and sequels , for me Lucas has always had great ideas and a fine understanding of mythology and of course the SW galaxy.

I'm not sure why he walked away , from what he said it sounds like he felt that they didn't want his input on TFA and he was ok with that . And of course he felt that the fans had become too negative toward him .

But , years have passed , and I do think something is missing. Could he come back or would any new director just feel too 'overshadowed' by his presence?

darthvader88 likes this.
  2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Nah. He's moved on and he's gotten enough crap from the audience over the years. No need to see him go through all of that again, especially given the current state of Star Wars 'fans' on the internet. I'm quite content considering his Episodes I-VI as the definitive Star Wars saga, and letting it ripple out now into the zeitgeist to see how other people interpret his work in (hopefully) new and unique ways.

What I REALLY want is to see George Lucas involved in filmmaking again. More than anything, I would love to be able to sit down in the theater and watch a new (non-Star Wars) film from the man that quite literally changed the face of cinema. All that talk of his about doing smaller, more personal films outside of the studio system after retiring had me so beyond excited. I'd trade the whole upcoming Star Wars slate for a new George Lucas movie, honestly.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    TX-20, grd4, DarthKreVass and 3 others like this.
  3. Darth Baga

Darth Baga Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2021
    Only if he wanted to. But I doubt he would given that he is in his 70s and has a young daughter. Films take years to produce and it is very stressful, especially with how toxic people have been towards him in the past. Asides from a few small projects, I think George would prefer to spend the remainder of his time with his family.

I'm not going to lie. I'd definitely love to see futher Star Wars media from George. I'd personally love to see an adaption of his story treatments for the sequel trilogy, even if it was animated and noncanon. But I doubt it would ever happen.

4. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    At this rate, when it comes to George's Sequel trilogy, I don't think I'd be interested in seeing someone else adapt them (since then you're dealing with the person doing the adaptation's own biases/interpretations, rather than seeing George's material coming straight from George himself) - I'd be more into the idea of a documentary that explores his ideas and concepts for the Sequels (and for Star Wars: Underworld, too!), something along the lines of Jodorowsky's Dune perhaps.

grd4, Count Yubnub and Riv_Shiel like this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

What your more likely to see is those ideas recycled into other stories.

Which has already happened and has been happening since the beginning.

6. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    For sure, and that I am absolutely cool with. Though I would also love to see a lot of that material as it was, in whatever state it was left in. I know it is an incredibly long shot, though.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Because there isn't much state at all.

George had treatments not a script.

There really isn't anything concrete to adapt the same way one could adapt a older draft of A New Hope.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  8. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Yeah, there isn't much to work with. Parts of it already went into the ST anyway, leaving you with pieces here and there that you could use.

It's not like they didn't already work from what Lucas had written. They kept some of the stuff they liked and went into totally different directions in other places. That's basically what you could expect from another attempt of someone interpreting the treatments Lucas made. There is exactly one way to get what Lucas would have done: letting Lucas actually do it. Needless to say, the final outcome would have little to do with the early treatments, because they never have been particularly similar in any project. That's just how development works. If someone would actually manage to directly put to screen what Lucas wrote in the treatments, it would still be nothing like what Lucas would have done, because treatments aren't detailed enough for entire scripts, and Lucas would have made significant changes throughout the development, as that is what has always happened. The outcome wouldn't have been "Lucas' ideas", it would have been a personal interpretation of what Lucas may have considered a rought outline at some point.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  9. darthvader88

darthvader88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 2005
    Please. George Lucas has gotten so much crap from fans and others. Why should he subject himself to that again?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I'm torn on the idea. I would love more of his storytelling but don't think he deserves to be subjected to any more crap from fans.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Considering how harshly critics went after his pet project Strange Magic, I doubt we'll see much more of GL's original work. IMO, like most of his later movies, it had real problems as well as real charms. I wonder if it would have been received more positively if GL's involvement had been less prominent.

12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah, let the guy enjoy his retirement. He deserves it. Plus, it's not like he's not busy doing other things like building his museum and raising his daughter. Doesn't stop him from visiting both SW and non-SW sets. He could still have minimal contributions such as liking a design or suggesting ideas about characters he created like he did in Solo or having a Vader scene in the Rebels pilot episode. However, I don't see him being part of developing new SW stories from start to finish like he did before the sale at least for his TV projects. And yes, he gave them treatments, not even a draft so if we wanted to have GL's version of what happened in his ST which would probably look like nothing from what he wrote in his treatments, the only way of having that would have been him making them by himself but it seemed highly unlikely based on several factors, so we would always have ended up with someone else's interpretation of events no matter what even if they included things from his treatments. The next best thing would have been to have him as consultant to develop the stories as it was initially intended but it didn't work out as he hoped so he chose to walk away but that didn't stop him from encouraging new directors or talking to them if they came to him.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.
  13. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

^This. I've wanted this to happen since he first started chatting about it years ago. At this point, I don't think he's going make another film. While it may be bummer that we won't ever get to see what ideas and stories he had in mind, I get it. He's retired, he is raising a young daughter and focusing his energy on the building and opening of his museum. He has cemented his legacy in film history and pop culture, and while many of us would love to see additional films by him (both Star Wars, and non-Star Wars), he has decided to take a different direction during the latter years of his life, and good for him. That said, "Never Say Never Again." Who knows, maybe he might decide to do a small project here or there, once his museum is opened and his daughter is little older, who knows. There have been many directors (and actors, authors, musical groups, athletes, etc.) that have retired, and then come back some years later.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  14. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Yes, but it probably won't happen. If it does I'd be worried about elder abuse.
    • The Disney ST is clearly not George's vision for SW
    • Without his collaboration, Disney was unable to manufacture a continuation of the Lucas saga, and they never will, though they will probably try again
    • Conspiracy Theory: when Spielberg got burned by Madoff something snapped. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can chock up crap like Bridge of Spies and The Post to ageing but I think he was thrown off his game and he picked JJ Abrams for a saboteur to smash Star Wars and troll George in the worst way. He knew that JJ was a hack but wanted to burn that stuff down because he'd never achieved the financial success George had and never would.
    It will be amazing to watch George star in Future Star Wars Films, resurrected through Stan Lee-esque cameos by the wizards of ILM and their lawyers, holographic and eternal. When Luukke said "nobody's really gone" that wasn't a promise, it was a threat.

Bold Predictions: George will survive
    • Bill Clinton
    • Harrison Ford
    • Mick Jagger
    • Trump

grd4 likes this.
  15. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

Just when you think you've heard it all....

adaml83, TX-20, heels1785 and 5 others like this.
  16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard in my entire life, and I've just lived through 17 months of misinformation and conspiracy theories about COVID, masks, elections, and vaccines.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    :eek::oops: That's supposed to be ironic, right?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Glitterstimm likes this.
  18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I thought these kind of threads were no-no's?

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I hope he does whatever makes him happy . I'd have liked to have seen that Underworld show he'd developed tho.

20. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Dubious. Leaving GL's feelings aside, I believe Disney would never allow him to have anything to do with it. They'd likely be afraid that any input he gave would be viewed as a detractor to any or all of Disney's movies. "But, GL said XYZ. That must mean that Rogue One was wrong all along!"

21. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    George Lucas will always be a legend to me but by his own admission he's finished with Star Wars. He created the galaxy we all love and now he's handed over the reigns to others to add to his creation. Also his age now would put him firmly in the bracket of being well past his creative best.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There are many artists who created masterpieces at ages well past his.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Tell em, old timer! Don't stand for that ageism. Or put up with it in general, if it's hard to stand.

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Did you say something? The battery died in my hearing aid.

25. Aznak Dum

Aznak Dum Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2021
    As a consultant and a producer, yes. As an executive producer, director or… god forbid… writer… it would only end in heartbreak.

Gooch Gunray and Sarge like this.