main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Don't really care too much about the MCU. I think its gotten to big for itself. I want other types of movies to come out. Pretty pleasantly surprised with the Hunger Games movie, Thanksgiving, Wonka, and Godzilla Minus One.

SHAD0W-JEDI and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Oh, I didn’t say I hated 80s movies though. :)

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I just finished rewatching Hawkeye, and I'm wondering if Jack is supposed to become a superhero? I don't read comics, so I wouldn't know. MCU could use a classic old-school Zorro swashbuckler.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Jacques_DuQuesne_(Earth-616)

Juliet316 and Sarge like this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Cool, let's hope they develop him. And give him a costume that looks absolutely nothing like that one.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  6. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I've been looking at a lot of Phase One MCU movies (I lose track of the Phases...pre-END GAME) and I think in some ways that people remember Thanos as being a bigger part of it than he was. YES, he was behind Loki in AVENGERS, yes the Infinity Stones were sprinkled throughout the MCU (taking on much more significance on the rewatch), but I find that most of the movies work just fine if you give Thanos almost no thought. I mention this only because now, having seen what we got through END GAME, there is a sense that what the MCU really needs is a "big bad" that everyone is going to have to team up and fight at the end of the current "arc" or phase or whatever. I can certainly see that, and perhaps with audiences having seen how ENDGAME played out that expectation is inevitable, but not sure that is what the current MCU is most lacking.

The2ndQuest and Sarge like this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So far, the direct homages have been: Bladerunner, Die Hard, and Mad Max meets Mario Kart.

8. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Mrs. Merk and I watched the 2015 F4.

Well, that certainly was a movie that was made...

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The 2015 F4 movie, while not very good, is certainly better than the Tim Story ones from the early aughts. I will die on this hill.

10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Intriguing episode.
    It was great to hear Cate Blanchett as Hela again. They even got Idris Elba to voice Heimdall briefly. This episode was an interesting combination of the first Thor movie, Thor: Ragnarok, and the Ten Rings movie. It was great to see Wenwu again. Apparently, he was behaving as he did during his marriage and his redemption at the end of the film, during which he relinquished control over the Ten Rings to his son. Never thought I'd see an enlightened and redeemed Hela, but I'm all for it. Now, she and Wenwu get to save young Gamora from Thanos.
    Great stuff.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The hill:

[​IMG]

(it's a really bad hill to die on, my dude...)

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah the Tim Story movies certainly have much more of a fun Sliver age Fantastic Four vibe. Yeah they bobble Doom and Galactus (Doom gets better in the 2nd one). It certainly is better than the constant bobble fail that is 2015 Fan4astic.

I do say bring back Miles Teller Reed Richards as the alternative universe villain The Maker though. That would totally work

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, the first two Fantastic 4 movies knew they were comic book movies. Kind of like Guardians of the Galaxy. But yeah, dropped the ball on the villains.

Fan4astic was just a depressing mess, wanted to be "The Dark Knight" but with the FF?? And their Doom was somehow even worse.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I saw a post from a probably faux "insider" but they did raise a good multiverse point that one can see already happened. And if you want to compare multiverse jumping in Doctor Strange and Spider-Verse. In the one scene in Multiverse of Madness, Doctor Strange and America turn into animation and paint. So this presupposes that when someone jumps a multiverse, they end up in that universe's style. So live action people become animated people. But if you look at Spider-Verse, we see people stay in their native format. The canon event images from Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire are their live action universes. We see (potentially) MCU Prowler Donald Glover in live action in an animated verse. But he is caught in a "cage" that could keep him in that format. Spot pops his animated head through a hole into a nonplussed live action Mrs. Chen, or the Lego Verse still staying in Lego format aside from Spot (he is still half in his hole, and also Spot is on his way to God-Mode nemesis). Anyway, I just think it's interesting that if people jump universes do they stay in their native stylstic format (Spider-Verse) or jump into that universe's style (Doctor Strange in Multiverse of Madness). I just want to see an eventual Spider-Gwen assemble with live action and animated Gwens at once, to be honest.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    It’s a Multiverse, so both could be poss

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, the "intro" of a slovenly Doom wallowing in a dark room was almost enough to make me turn it off right then and there.

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    That's in my state. I was there in May.

18. nilzo antonio

nilzo antonio Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2015
    Ok, new year, new time to talk about Marvel.
    Today's object: Marvel Studios the Marvel Cinematic Universe an Official Timeline
    Earlier i bumped in the video bellow:

See, the mere fact one would need a 344 pages book to explain the timeline of events in the movies/series is a clear indication on how messy things got.
    And also shows the homework it become, a complain many people use to let the MCU go.
    For example:The events of She Hulk lasted the spring and summer and ocurred before the events of Ms Marvel,but those series were aired in an inverted order ( Ms Marvel aired in july/22 and She-Hulk in august 22). It's bugsome because this information was not really made public or explained in any form. If you just watch the Disney+ shows you would never guess the real timeline of the events. And the take on the Department of Damage Controle looked diferent in each series. Also The beggining of Thor Love and Thunder happens during the events of She Hulk , but Gorr actions happens in the fall (2025). Another thing you can't tell by watching the movie - to me Gorr actions started,like Jane's disease, years before the beggining of L&T, while Thor were still fat and working with the Guardians..
    Also there's a explanation on how Mysterio could know MCU's Earth is 616 years before Multiverse of Madness.
    and the movie ends by the time.
    This also explain another big point of complains: the lack of connection of the phase 4 and 5 projects. See, if many events are occuring at the same time, in various movies, but in their own storytelling there's no explanation or even hint of this, how do you expect people to guess it? See both the events of Eternals and Spiderman fFFH happen basicly at the same time, right after TFATWS. Quite frankly doesn't make much sense.
    Having Eternals and the last FFH movie seems to have 2 cataclysmic events, both in London, that would dominate the news for months but instead there were almost ignored from any other project since, making wonder if even their location in the timeline is correct or some make up thing. Also it´s odd that the entire events of MoM happened in between the closing of the Multiversal portals after Peter defeats Green Globbing in NWH and his later visit to the coffee shop MJ works also in NWH ( why Peter didn't help Strange when the Shuma Gorah attacked early on MoM?).
    Overall, from now on, after this year of retreat, the MCU should find a way to become simple again. Tell stories like the original individual avengers movies that anyone can see when things were happening and were they were going.
    And, then, hope we don't need books and videos to locate us about what's happening in the MCU.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 10

Jul 19, 1999
    Easier solution: Don't care about the exact chronology - problem solved.

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Or don’t care about any of it. :)

nilzo antonio likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The book is also flawed, so there are some conclusions that the authors came to in their rushed research that most fan analysis do not agree with, so take it with a grain of salt.

As to the rest- again, keep in mind that the majority of the MCU was released out of chronological order because of real world marketing and production concerns that make it almost impossible to do otherwise. Stuff can happen out of order because not everything references everything else- and they don't need to. And releasing films/shows out of chronological order was never going to change with Phase 4.

Likewise, it's contradictory to suggest that there isn't enough connectivity, while simultaneously suggesting they should simplify the storytelling so that "homework" isn't needed to follow them. The homework isn't needed right now precisely because these are all mostly standalone stories (or film/TV pairings) setting up the threads for where things will be going that can be viewed in almost any order. There hasn't really been an "Avengers 1" story yet for this saga (presumably it would have been Thunderbolts, which we were supposed to have gotten by now, but that has been pushed even further back due to the strikes).

It's all still coming, but they're already rolling it out too fast to the detriment of the product. Give it time, we'll get there. Don't expect the momentum that built into Endgame to continue to build and build, because Phase 4/5 was always going to be a reset and breather moment to start building from scratch from.

But if you want the order, it's there for you on a single D+ carousel. The specific dates don't really matter, for all intents and purposes, as far as general usage goes. That's just for the niche fans that do like doing the nerdy timeline homework :).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Works for me.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Then nobody would watch anything & there would be no topic at all

nilzo antonio and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Maybe that’s for the best.

Bor Mullet, nilzo antonio and Ramza like this.
  25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    First, if a movie or a show comes out in a different order, it's not like you can't go back and re-watch it in the correct order later on. Second and more importantly, you are correct in that not everything is told sequentially. Comics have it worse with aligning multiple solo books with each other and then those who are on teams. Caring way too much about specific dates like that is way too anal retentive.