main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

You'll believe a man can fly... Again. Superman Returns!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Tabula Rasa, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
  2. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I'm a little biased, and yes..I didn't see POTC:2, but SR deserves to win for Special effects for the plane sequence alone. This Superman did things we had never seen before...and it was brilliant.

3. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    SR was great, but there is one main reason why POTC 2 won, and that is, Davy Jones. ILM took creature effects to a whole new level. The dinosaurs were amazing in 1993, Jar-Jar (regardless of the character) was another step up in 1999, but now, seven to eight years later we have Davy Jones. He is the first CG character done where they made both the texturing and movement nearly flawless. You really believe he is REAL. Even in daylight he looks REAL.

4. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    As much as I wanted SR to win, I knew that John Knoll would not be denied. His work on the pirate movie is apparently quite stunning.

5. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I still think ILM's best CGI creature is YODA in Revenge of the Sith simple stunning and beautiful.

6. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    QFT.

7. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    Guess I was wrong. I was sure SR was better than Pirates. That movie to me just seems like it's passed its prime all ready. I am still Po at Pirates though because it pushed SR out of the way and frankly I thought that Pirates two just stunk and sunk its ship.

8. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    I've never seen the pirate movie but I've heard so many good things about the visual effects and Davy Jones, that I felt like it was a sure thing for Knoll & Co. to win at the Oscars.

[face_peace]
    LN

9. SWJaggy

SWJaggy Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2003
    I'm one of very few that didn't actually think Davey Jones was cool. Nothing really special about barincle man (but to each is own).

10. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Davy Jones was ALL CG??? I thought just his thingys were.

11. EDKRIEG

EDKRIEG Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    This may be old news:Brainiac may be the villain of the sequel.Would like to see Darkseid.No chance of Doomsday as there is to be a direct to DVD -Superman vs. Doomsday.

12. AL_Patterson

AL_Patterson Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Yeah, seeing Superman rescue a plane was not only the most original thing ever concieved on film but it was "really cool" unlike the lame barnacle man[face_plain]

13. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I used to think so too! I used to think it was actually an actor (Bill Nighy?) with the CG overlayed ontop of him in post-production, ie: the tentacles.

However, I was amazed to discover that the character is ENTIRELY CG! They just used the actor for reference material who shot a performance first.

14. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    I think that's the first time I've ever been fooled like this with CG. Did ILM do the effects for Pirates?

15. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    If Davey Jones was all CG, that's simply incredible work. And all these years I just thought he aged well.

[image=http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/davy-jones.jpg]

16. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    I think ILM did the effects work for Pirates. John Knoll won the Oscar for his work on the Pirate movie afterall.

[face_peace]
    LN

17. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Waka Waka!!!

18. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    Interesting comments from Routh about The Man of Steel. Nothing of much significance though.

linky

[face_peace]
    LN

19. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    Fascinating. 2009 doesn't seem all that far away.

20. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    The first villains that come to my mind after reading that are Bizarro, Zod and Doomsday. None of whom I particularly care for.

21. Lord_NoONE

Dec 17, 2001
    I agree. None of them are my favorites. Routh also seemed to be guessing a bit in the interview. I think all we can really bank on is when Singer opens his mouth.

[face_peace]
    LN

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    My guess is that it'll probably be Brainiac.

23. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Interesting article on Moviehole.net about the sequel.

sadly, I'm not capable of posting links. hehe...but check it out.

I feel very sad for those who didn't like Superman Returns..especially those who thought there was no action...and got tired of him "lifting" things. I thought it was great...and loved every minute of it. I think it says a lot about the general movie populace these days. SR was basically a carbon copy of the 78 movie...an homage if you will; and that movie had Superman just "lifting" things....and no one seemed to mind, and it's still thought of with great respect and is the grandaddy of Superhero movies.
    I don't see the need for all this action that everyone is calling for,..some drag down fight between Supes and some other foe..All we are gonna get now....to suit these people..is all action...and no script, plot, story, or character development....and then...they will end up being dissapointed and bitch that it had no plot.

and..

Al_Patterson: your absoluetly right. The rescue of the plane was brilliant..and one of the most original things we've seen in a long time in movies..with everything being retreads and remakes.

24. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Anyone else read the recent news about Bryan Singer making another movie before the Superman Sequel. The reports I saw said that Warner Brothers probably wouldn't want to wait for him to finish that movie and might get someone else to direct Superman.

25. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    One can only hope.

I wish they would recast everything and do a full-on series reboot instead of the part-reboot, part-remake, part-sequel mess we got last summer.

And the plane sequence was a neat-looking but overall bland "let's do the same thing but BIGGER" retread of the helicopter scene from the Superman: the Movie.

Last point: a movie that can't convince me Superman's CAPE (see the slo-mo "listening to the world" shot for one example) is real doesn't deserve an Oscar, especially over the beautiful work in Pirates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.