main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Yours For Only $29.99*, $34.99 in Canada: Black Widow [July 2021]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bilbo Fett, Dec 2, 2019.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Release it on Netflix right after the Superbowl with next to no warning for next year.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    This is pretty bizarre, I don't recall any big blockbuster changing composers so close to what would have been the release date. Were they unhappy with Desplat's work?

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The article says no reason has been given. I'm wondering if it may be a scheduling thing- ie: if recording facilities are closed/orchestras are unable to assemble due to the virus threat, that by time that clears up Desplat may have another project lined up that he'd need to attend to?

Luke02, Master_Lok and Princess_Tina like this.
  5. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    Yeah another article I read about the switch speculated it might have something to do with Desplat working with a full orchestra and that it might remain difficult if not impossible to assemble one for quite some time.

It sucks though. I've loved the music in the trailers so far and this is the second movie I was looking forward to hearing his work only to have a composer switch very late in the game (Rogue One was the first).

Master_Lok likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Desplat is fantastic but on the flipside, I think Black Widow could benefit if they don't go full orchestra arrangements, for example I quite liked the synth-style one for Thor Ragnarok. That could work in a spy thriller.

Luke02 likes this.
  7. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Lorne Balfe?! Yes!! His Mission Impossible Fallout soundtrack is one of the greatest of all time. This is going to be amazing.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    also I think switching composers this "late" in the game indicates the movie won't be out until the fall or maybe August like Wonder Woman 84 if we're lucky.

9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Called it. Black Widow now has the Eternals slot and Eternals took Shang Chi and so on up to Thor Love and Thunder.

Luke02 and The2ndQuest like this.
  10. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
  11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Empire's got a brief but interesting interview excerpt with Cate Shortland here. Full interview is in their upcoming issue.

Sounds like Florence Pugh's Yelena will have extensive involvement in future films (Thunderbolts, I imagine). Also sounds like the end of BW will be a time jump to post-Endgame, when news of Nat's death has been delivered - this is not much of a surprise, but was hinted at in some leaks.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Not surprised Re: Yelena. They wouldn't be introducing the character and putting a focus on her if she was just meant for simply for this one film. This is as much a backdoor origin story for Yelena as it is an exploration of Nat's history.

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If it does have a time jump at the end, that would be mighty unfortunate. Not surprised, either, that Yelena will be continuing on.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Not surprised. Glad to hear the above news about
    Yelana as Florence is terrific.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah it's not as if Disney has a streaming service they could drop it on right now. Of course, that would actually run headfirst into Mandalorian S2 which is what they want to drive subs to it for Nov/Dec anyway.

Best guess for new release date? Early May 2021! Just move the whole thing ahead a year.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  17. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Yeah the rest of 2020 is a wash for expensive blockbusters. I think at least the first half of next year will be as well if not all the way into the fall. The studios are playing this game of musical chairs just to keep stockholders from getting completely spooked.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It'd be nice if studios just admitted that America is a dumpster fire and put things out internationally. Cuz theatres need content in places that aren't America. Tenet got an intentional release a whopping 7 days before belly flopping into the US theatres.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Gamiel likes this.
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Basically, the whole MCU has now been delayed a full year, Eternals now set for fall of 2021, etc

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Wow, first November, then Christmas now next May.

EDIT: Maybe I'm mixing WW84 in there. IDK.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  22. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    First was May '20, then pushed to November, then to May '21.

Hollywood has been slow in coming around to just writing off the remainder of 2020 for major releases but here we are. Make the most of it Tenent.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I mean It makes sense, all things considered

I certainly wasn’t planning to go to a theater until sometime in 2021

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Semi surprised no D+ premiere access for Black Widow.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  25. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    I'm not surprised. There's a few things at work there.

For one, if Mulan's D+ numbers had been all that great, they'd be shouting them loud and proud for all to hear. As it stands they're likely pedestrian, at best, with speculation pieces in the media trying to knock the rough edges off of them.

Second, do they want Disney+ to start being known as the cheaper streaming service where you have to pay a premium for early access to new content? You do very many Mulans and that impression is what you're gonna be dealing with.

And third, a new content bottleneck was created by COVID halting all production. That's opening back up now. They probably feel like they can maintain Disney+ numbers for now (a lot of people are still locked in on promotional subscription packages) without having to risk potential revenue from Black Widow by settling for releasing it on a streaming platform in their most reliable movie market.

Juliet316 likes this.