main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2007 Costume Projects

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by FETT-MAN, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    There's some really neat ideas being tossed around here!

2. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004

Post pics of the helmet... I want to see it since I am eventually doing that Rebel Costume.... I mean, if you would, please.

3. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Once I'm old enough to joing the RL, I might try an Endor outfit myself. But I'd rather join the 501st.

4. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Once I finally think about my list for this year (which might be like cut in half because of a possible move in August...), I'll put together a big long list together, but for now my current project which I started just yesterday...

My fourth version
    of the Pastel Gown. [face_plain] :p

It was just calling to me at Joann's, so I couldn't pass it up, especially since my last version was 100%, completely poly, I decided to make this newer version sheer and hopefully silk for the dress.

My small research notes and progress pictures are on my Live Journal, if anyone wishes to see. :p

~Spacelady

5. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    Surely!

http://rebelshaven.com/VersCorner/images/endortroop/endorver001.jpg

Not the best angled shot, but... For the helmet I went through Richie's Armor, and I got the brim, the ridged part for the top, and the 'donut', and for the cap you have to look around an army supply store or Ebay, that's a WWII era pilots cap I believe... Richie would tell you what to find though. I don't remember the price because I got the kit 4 years ago. I spotted on the film that there's an extra brown leather flap that's sewn over the edge of the helmet flaps that kind of hide the chin attachment snaps, I just have to sew that on and I'm done.

When I do the costume, I'm going to put up a tutorial on my website, I'll keep you informed :)

Hahaha, and crap, I have one more to add to my list... I've already started carving the shell necklace for the Lake Gown Padme outfit *guilty giggle!*

6. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    Hey, if you want white dyeable silk at a good price, try dharmatrading.com , they have the right silk too, there's the sanded charmuse, the georgette, and personally I'm going to try stretch silk for the arm sleeves the drape is attached to.

7. GentleBant

GentleBant Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 21, 1999
    After seeing the archive gown, looks like I'm going to do...

...my fourth version of the flame gown!!!

Gotta' do it "right", you know...

/sigh

Now to find just the right velvet...!

8. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    After becoming a member on sonofthesuns I am now going to revamp my Anakin. My very first hand made SW costume, which I messed up a lot of things. I need to fix up my boots, get a wig, and see if I can't get a decent gauntlet. Oh, and a belt.

The other thing is I need a new cloak. My old one is too light of a shade of brown, it looks more like Obi-wan's. The hood is also way too small. So, back in like August I found some really dark brown fabric... and it just sat there for the longest time. So I went to my friend's house and delivered the fabric to him. His mom will make the cloak. The way I'm paying him for it is by a)supplying the fabric and b)I made his hardware saber for the film we're working on. I told him I really didn't care when I got the cloak, just as long as I have it by ALL-CON (which is in April). Ooh, and before I forget... a new lightsaber as well!

9. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I completely forgot that I made my and my friend's Halloween costumes this year too, and a pouch for my Husband's SCA garb.

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/rengarbcostumes/websize/IMG_24531.JPG]
    My Dress

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/trips/applepickingandtherenfair/websize/DSCN02671.JPG]
    My friend's Dress

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/rengarbcostumes/websize/IMG_2476.JPG]
    My Husband's Pouch (the pen is for scale) hand sewn with a lining and leather cord drawstring.

10. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Nice job, Benae!

11. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    I have soo little time that I can't work a job, but as a theatre major concentrating in costume design I get to help in a smaller capacity on the full-length show for the drama deptartment, student directed plays, student and faculty choreographer's concerts, the opera, as well as helping out with a neighboring college's theatre club.
    I'll be helping out next semester on all of those again of course. Right now I only know the two full-length plays we're doing are:
    Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
    The Taming of the Shrew

Other than that... I made a white mage robe for myself for last Halloween that came out just wonderfully =) I have no pictures of it at the moment though. Outside of working on theatre related projects (I get to learn to stage manage and scene design this semester!... as well as more make-up and lighting design related work), I only have two goals of a new Halloween costume (I have some ideas but nothing is chosen yet) and to get myself a decent summer internship in some lovely theater's costume shop. I really don't mind what I get to cut, clip, or sew if someone else is paying for it since the experience is what matters to me the most right now.
    I may have some more goals once I get a job or even find time for one... it's hard to find one at all let alone one that fits the schedule I have.

12. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Wow... you've just caught all my interests right there! I'm a theatre person, and I've tried to get on crew for my school's shows. Sadly since I'm only a Sophmore they haven't chosen me. They want the upper-classmen over us and the freshmen.

13. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    Oh, I am so jealous! I miss the theatre so much. I went to a small liberal arts university, so there were lots of opportunities for different positions for us crazy theatre folk (actors/makeup; AD/props; wardrobe/actors, you name it). We rarely made our own costumes, though...I wish we could have. Usually we rented or scoured the dozens of antique shops around here for what was appropriate for the period. An internship sounds so great, even if it means less time at your own machine.
    I've just about wrapped up my regency era dress...now I need a bonnet, or something that I can modify to look appropriate. Honestly, I have no idea when I'll wear it...my students and I have an English tea when we finish reading P&P, so maybe I'll wear it then!
    p.s. Benae-your costumes are lovely, as usual!!

14. a-tastic

a-tastic Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2005
    ah...P&P.
    the memories...

You can do what I did for my Regency bonnet-- I had a paper straw hat with a medium width brim lying around. I felt bad throwing it away, so I folded in the bottom and affixed it to the interior and scooted the hat about my head to get the right length and width of the brim. I made a very long sash, and stitched it onto the hat from one side to the other at the cheek area, so that when the bonnet's tied, it cups my face properly.
    Granted, it looks completely silly when not on a human head, but, hey...
    Voila! Free hat. Yay!

15. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
  16. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    P&P---Pride and Prejudice! My senior class will read it this spring...I only started using that book last year, with mostly positive feedback from my students. I think the new Kiera Knightly version helped things, you know..introducing the story to a younger generation. Even though some found it a little hard to read, they did love the story. I wanted to make an "Elizabeth" dress anyway...I think the clothing of that period is very elegant and flattering, both male and female. A-tastic, thanks for the tip! If only I had all those big straw hats I used to play dress-up with when I was little! Maybe I can find something that will do at Hobby Lobby.

17. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Oh. Yeah, I wanted to see that movie (since I'm such a Kiera fan [face_love]) but never got the chance.

18. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    if its the same all-con im thinking of, its march 16-18 not april.

19. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    In Dallas?

20. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Hooboy, I forgot what a busy bean I was at the start of the year! It all turned to custard about August, but we'll get to that;)

The first event of the year was in fact Canterbury Faire, the largest national SCA event in NZ and set to get bigger as our fair cousins across the waters discover it is green and "mud free, dust free and no venymous fauna!"
    So I made in Jan-Feb:
    Dress worn in Cleves/Cologne and neighbourings cities by everyday women. Lots of images here as I wore it again recently.
    "Elizabethan" surcoat. Actually I will add short slashed sleeves so I can make it work better with my Cleves gear.
    Linen Saxon Court style dress. Someone recently got a lovely photo of it.

After that I got to work on two costumes for a singing competition in April:
    Phantom of the Opera Blue dress (wishing You Were Somehow Here Again.)
    Victorian style 18thC riding dress

Then it was on to the Big project for 2006 which was my 1560 Cleves dress and all the research on what made up a wardrobe for a woman's dress at the time.
    The Big Posh Frock, I made the hat, dress, jewellery, gown, skirt and a new cheise for it.
    I had to wear something during the day so I made a blue wool version of the pink wool dress above:
    1560s Cleves "merchant" dress.

I was *slightly* exhausted by this time and rather overloaded with information I had learned so my next project was a "quick" one for a day at the Historical Village.
    1887 grey tailored walking dress.
    The next time I went a month later I wore my Wishing gown above but did a spiffy hairstyle to go with it.

Between those two times though I also went to Armageddon in costume for two days:
    Catwoman, Batman Returns.

And by that stage I reached burnout, well for other reasons too but we won't go there;) Mostly it affected the decision to make the Catwoman costume in the first place.

This year:
    Jan:
    loli meet up in Auckland, I may really twist the idea and make an 1830s dress. It'll be foofy it'll be girly and it will be clothes similar to what a child of the time would have worn (ie what an adult would have worn but with a few tweaks.)

Feb:
    Canty Faire again! I've already started my red linen dress and drafted the first part to my ball outfit. I will make a new hat and sleeves and underskirt as well.
    Diary entry
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/6cleves4.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/6cleves7.jpg
    Heritage Day at the railway. I'd really really love to make a 1908 dress like I have already patterned but it's really more suitable to cooler weather.
    Diary entry.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/190801.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/glittersweet/costume/190803.jpg

April:
    Armageddon in Wellington:
    Again I have

21. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Okay, so the Dallas ALL-CON is in March. Which is cool, because it's during spring break!

22. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    UNfortunately, I was out of town on January 1st this year and not able to start up the traditional thread.

So it's an other new year and the 6th year of 'costume projects' threads.
    I'll reflect on what I have completed in the past year, post my costume-making goals for this new year and discuss progress as through 2007

This is what I have accomplished this past year:

2006 costume projects (completed)

1.) Superman cape
    2.) Jedi robe - Anakin EP III style
    3.) Jedi robe - Anakin EP III style
    4.) Jedi robe - Anakin EP III style
    5.) Jedi tunic & obi
    6.) Imperial Officer's hat #111 1/16
    7.) Imperial Officer's hat #112 1/16
    8.) Imperial Officer's hat #113 1/16
    9.) Imperial Officer's hat #114 1/16
    10.) Black neckseal 1/19
    11.) Black neckseal 1/19
    12.) Snowtrooper coat version #2 2/2006
    13.) mini snowtrooper coat
    14.) mini snowtrooper coat
    15.) mini snowtrooper coat
    16.) mini snowtrooper coat
    17.) mini custom pauldron 2/12
    18.) mini custom pauldron 2/12
    19.) mini custom pauldron 2/12
    20.) mini custom pauldron 2/12
    21.) mini custom pauldron 2/12
    22.) Snowtrooper pouches 2/21
    23.) "Art slacks" black 3/2
    24.) "Art hat #1" black 3/3
    25.) "art hat #2" black 3/5
    26.) "art hat #3" black 3/7
    27.) "art hat #4" black 3/7
    28.) Bowling shirt black/orange 3/10
    29.) Bowling shirt black/Star Wars 3/10
    30.) mini snowtrooper coat (St. Pat's special edition) 3/17
    31.) mini custom pauldron 3/25
    32.) mini custom pauldron 3/25
    33.) mini custom pauldron 3/25
    34.) Jedi tunic & obi 3/30
    35.) Tko.5's custome 'travel accessories' 4/26
    36.) Imperial Officer's hat #117 4/27
    37.) Imperial Officer's hat #118 4/27
    38.) Black neckseal 5/14
    39.) Black neckseal 5/14
    40.) Black neckseal 5/14
    41.) Black neckseal 5/14
    42.) 18" doll-sized mini custom MWG pauldron 5/15
    43.) 18" doll-sized mini custom white pauldron 5/15
    44.) my "Imperial Girl" doll 5/29 (stormtrooper)
    45.) "Imperial Girl" snowtrooper 6/7
    46.) "Imperial Girl" Imperial Officer girl 7/1
    47.) Bowling shirt black/Darth Vader Star Wars 7/6
    48.) Imperial Officer's hat #119 7/12 (23")
    49.) Imperial Officer's hat #120 7/12 (24 1/4")
    50.) Imperial Officer's hat #121 7/22 (23 1/2")
    51.) Imperial Officer's hat #122 7/22 (24")
    52.) Imperial Officer's hat #123 7/22 (24")
    53.) Imperial Officer's hat #124 7/22 (25")
    54.) Bowling shirt black/Halloween 7/30
    55.) Bowling shirt black/skulls & cats 7/30
    56.) Bowling shirt black/Star Wars 7/30 (lrg)
    57.) Clown costume #3 batik skulls& webs 8/1
    58.) long shorts blk/green skeletons 8/1
    59.) long shorts blk/orange plaid 8/2
    60.) long shorts halloween stripe 8/6
    61.) Clown costume #4 (3-piece) vintage Halloween pattern 8/11
    62.) long shorts halloween small plaid 8/14
    63.) Bowling shirt black/glitter skeletons 8/15
    64.) pirate Shirt Sept
    65.) Pirate pants Sept
    66.) 2 pirate sashes Sept
    67.) pirate vest Sept
    68.) Imperial Officer's hat #125 10/8 (22 1/4")
    69.) Imperial Officer's hat #126 10/8 (22 1/2")
    70.) Imperial Officer's hat #127 10/8 (22 3/4")
    71.) Imperial Officer's hat #128 10/8 (22 3/4")
    72.) Pirate captain's coat Oct
    73.) Pirate's tricorn hat Oct
    74.) Pirate's belt & scabbord Oct
    75.) Imperial Officer's hat #129 12/1 (22 1/2")
    76.) Imperial Officer's hat #130 12/1 (22 1/2")
    77.) Imperial Officer's hat #131 12/1 (22 3/4")
    78.) Imperial Officer's hat #132 12/1 (23")
    79.) Imperial Officer's hat #133 12/2 (24 1/4")
    80.) Imperial Officer's hat #134 12/2 (24 1/4")
    81.) Imperial Officer's hat #135 12/5 (23 1/2")
    82.) Imperial Officer's hat #136 12/5 (23 3/4")
    83.) Imperial Officer's hat #137 12/5 (23 3/4")
    84.) Imperial Officer's Johdpurs #1 12/15
    85.) Imperial Officer's Johdpurs #2 12/18
    86.) Imperial Officer's hat #138 12/19

23. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I'm thinking about attempting a Biker Scout for this halloween (by then I'll have a job and will be able to afford the stuff I can't make.) Just out of curiosity, excluding ALL of the soft parts, what would just the armor and the helmet run?

24. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    I'm starting on the muslin mock up for my original Leia concept gown today....say a little prayer for me......[face_worried]

25. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.