main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

4,6,5,1,2,3 Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by ThePenkhullPimp, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePenkhullPimp

ThePenkhullPimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    Hello everyone.

I live the UK and I am 27 years old this means that I first saw ANH on TV and soon became obsessed with it, now it is my belief that ROTJ was released in the cinema before ESB was released on video in this country can anyone confirm?

This gives me a slightly different view of the OT because obviously I saw them out sequence, is there anyone else who had this experience? quite a few of my friends did.

It always makes me laugh when people say they will make there children watch them in the same order as they themselves did meaning 3-6, 1-3 because then I would have to get my children to watch it 4,6,5,1,2,3.

2. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Seeing ANH first is the best thing to do. This movie explains the Force and what it does. If you watch TPM, you'll hear a bunch of crap about midichlorians and never hear about them again.

3. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Nope. 1,2,3,4,5,6

4. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Watch them in the order they're intended to be watched, that is sequentially starting with chapter 1.

5. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I saw the trilogy first because the prequels didn't exist when I was a kid. But nowadays why would you watch the end of story before the beginning? That doesn't make any sense. :p

6. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
  7. Greesha

Greesha Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    it would be weird to watch them in time order, but maybe just because that's not how i watched them. i know people who saw aotc before anything else and are now in love with star wars. so i guess it doesn't really matter.

8. ThePenkhullPimp

Jan 23, 2003
    I didn't mean to discuss the order of the films, I just meant that with ROTJ coming out at around the same time as people started having VCR's at home had anyone else seen them in the same order, as I said I saw ROTJ before ESB because of this I just wondered if anyone else in their eagerness for anything star wars had the same experience.

9. PaplooTheory

PaplooTheory Jedi Master star 5

Nov 9, 2001
    I think the best order is definately 4,5,6,1,2,3. Seeing ROTJ before ESB....... weird.

10. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I will see them in the proper order: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

11. urgent_jedi_picnic

urgent_jedi_picnic Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Penkhull:

Wow, that must have really ruined the Vader surprise for you, huh?

The Picnic :eek:

12. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Wow this doesn't make sense to me. The title is similar to my phone number though.

13. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Actually reading the posts helped.

Yeah Return of the Jedi was the first one I ever saw!

14. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    4,5,6,1,2,3, makes much more sense that way. I mean, 1,2,3 are called "Prequels" for gosh sakes!

15. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    1-6 for me

16. The_Emperor_Himself

The_Emperor_Himself Jedi Youngling

May 13, 2003
    4,6,5,1,2,(3?) Was also my experience. If youre watching SW for the first time, you should watch them in the order in which it makes sense to watch them.

4-6, 1-3.

For all of us who are fans already, 1-6 should be interesting. But theres no way one can understand Star Wars fully that way. At least not the FIRST time...

Perhaps you can grasp its full meaning watching them 1-6, but you can never get to the point where youre able to do that unless you first watch them OT-PT.

Sure, they were MEANT to be watched 1-6, but they didnt come out that way did they? So, logically, the Star Wars universe is explained and introduced in ep4, the first one to come out. Imagine watching ep1 and hearing "force", "darkside", "lightsaber" etc, while watching guys do things like stick their hand out and objects get drawn to them, and people repeating what the jedi just said right after he said it. Your head would explode. Ive seen it happen. Trust me.

Face it. Maybe it SHOULDNT have been that way, but the OT is a better introduction to the Star Wars mythos/universe/characters/conflicts/physics.

17. ThePenkhullPimp

Jan 23, 2003
    Actually it didn't really ruin the suprise of ESB because there is the line to Leia "he is my father" in ROTJ, I think it did give me slightly different view though because it was a low key moment.
    Then when I watched ESB on video I suppose I was watching it in the way future generations will, I knew what Luke didn't.

18. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I believe I shall start at Chapter One. I don't skip several pages because they were made first.

19. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    The earliest memories of Star Wars was 3P0 knocking on the door of Jabba's palace. I could have been five, I don't remember. But seeing the end of the story is like opening a book and reading the last page to see how it ends. I rather see the history of it all.

20. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    I also watched the OT in the order 4,6,5

I was shocked when Luke asks Yoda "Is DV my father". Had a strong impact. But I was VERY surprised to learn that Han and Leia were a couple.
    I also thought at the end of ROTJ: "What? ANOTHER Death Star attack with ANOTHER character trying to hit the main reactor to cause ANOTHER chain reaction to make it explode? Does EVERY SW film end like this?"

21. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    The order I watched the movies in was more than slightly off ... after watching TPM in the cinema my dad bought us the OT VCD, and my brother put in ESB first I think. Then ROTJ, and last ANH.

Or it could be ROTJ, ESB, then ANH. I don't remember. Either way we messed up the order, knowing fully that we were messing it up :p. Since we already pretty much knew the story, it didn't really matter.

22. ThePenkhullPimp

Jan 23, 2003
    Thank you for your responses,

I'm glad some people saw it in the same order and I don't really think it changes my view to much although some would disagree!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.