main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Clone Wars Project

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediKnight75, Jun 28, 2016.

1. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    In this thread I’m going to do a Clone Wars project based loosely on HEDGESMFG’s comprehensive TCW and EU Clone Wars timeline. They aren't very similar at all. I will treat the Canon sources as more credible primary sources and the multimedia project as less credible. This distinction would only be relevant in a case like Obsession. I'm keeping those comics in their original timeline placement because they have the beginning of the Outer Rim Sieges. However Ventress is supposed to be dead so I'd have to deal with the fact. In some of the earlier stories I won’t have to deal too much with that issue as much. The goal of each post would be to create my own argument about what was going on as the war progressed while also discussing character arcs. I'd probably post year by year, or every few sources. It will depend on what I was gaining from them and how worthwhile I think posting will be. It is important to note that my goal is not to create a unified timeline, where everything can fit nicely, I want there to be contradictions and other problems. I also won’t be reviewing individual stories; I may give an overarching impression and comment on a few stories at the end, but that is not the focus of the thread.

So before I post the timeline I’ll explain some of my organizational ideas. So based on the old EU, TCW began seven weeks after AOTC with Anakin having already been knighted. Therefore all stories with Anakin must be forced into seven weeks; this almost works if you consider everything happened rapidly and the Civil War on Jabiim began prior to AOTC. However, for the sake of this thread making everything fit is irrelevant. In Dreadnaughts of Rendilli Anakin is knighted, but Plo Koon’s congratulation indicates that it was recent. If they have not seen each other in a while it can fit after TCW began. So I moved it as far as I thought reasonable. I tried to place all other EU stories at their original month, even ones like the previously mentioned Obsession. The only issue is Quinlan Voss’s story because he rejoins the Jedi Order after Dreadnaughts of Rendili and so I spaced his issues out within the available space, this part was the most impacted by my judgement. I attempted to space it out so that it could reasonably work as a short mission; I didn’t want it to feel too rushed, but also could not extend it as far as originally intended, but it serves my purposes. A lot of this won’t be discussed anymore, they are primarily the rules I constructed at the beginning. Also, not everything on the timeline will be discussed; it is the list of all of the stories I’m viewing, but I may decide there was nothing that added to my thread. Since I won’t know that right away, I’m posting the entirety of what I’ll be looking at. This is subject to change as I progress.

Jedi Starfighter
    Attack of the Clone
    Republic Commando (Geonosis Mission)
    The Clone Wars video game
    Republic 49: Sacrifice
    Clone Wars Microseries 6 and 7
    Republic 50: The Defense of Kamino
    Republic 51-52: The New Face of War
    Republic 53: Blast Radius
    The Battle of Muunlinist
    Republic 55-62
    Galactic Battlegrounds: The Clone Campaigns
    Jedi: Mace Windu
    Jedi: Yoda
    Republic 67: Forever Young
    Cestus Deception and Jedi Trial
    Jedi: Shaak Ti
    2.16: Cat and Mouse
    Jedi: Aayla Secura
    1.16: The Hidden Enemy
    The Clone Wars
    Republic 54: Double Blind
    3.01: Clone Cadets
    3.03: Supply Lines
    Jedi: Count Dooku
    1.01: Ambush
    1.02: Rising Malevolence
    1.03: Shadow of Malevolence
    1.04: Destroy Malevolence
    Republic 63: Striking From the Shadows
    1.05: Rookies
    1.06: Downfall of a Droid
    1.07: Duel of the Droids
    No Prisoners
    1.08: Bombad Jedi
    1.09: Cloak of Darkness
    1.10: Lair of Grievous
    Republic 68: Armor
    1.11: Dooku Captured
    1.12: The Gungan General
    1.13: Jedi Crash
    1.14: Defenders of Peace
    1.15: Trespass
    1.17: Blue Shadow Virus
    1.18: Mystery of a Thousand Moons
    Republic Commando: Hard Contact
    1.19: Storm Over Ryloth
    1.20: Innocents of Ryloth
    1.21: Liberty on Ryloth
    Republic: 69-71: Dreadnaughts of Rendili
    2.01: Holocron Heist
    2.02: Cargo of Doom
    2.03: Children of the Force
    2.17: Bounty Hunters
    2.18: The Zillo Beast
    2.19: The Zillo Beast Strikes Back
    Battle of Hypori
    2.04: Senate Spy
    2.05: Landing at Point Rain
    2.06: Weapons Factory
    2.07: Legacy of Terror
    2.08: Brain Invaders
    Omega Squad: Targets
    Shatterpoint
    2.09: Grievous Intrigue
    2.10: The Deserter
    2.11: Lightsaber Lost
    2.20: Death Trap
    2.21: R2 Come Home
    2.22: Lethal Trackdown
    3.04: Sphere of Influence
    3.02: ARC Troopers
    2.12: The Mandalore Plot
    2.13: Voyage of Temptation
    2.14: Duchess of Mandalore
    3.05: Corruption
    3.06: The Academy
    3.07: Assassin
    3.08: Evil Plans
    1.22: Hostage Crisis
    3.09: Hunt for Ziro
    3.10: Heroes on Both Sides
    Republic Commando (Mission to the Chaykin Cluster)
    Republic Commando: Triple Zero
    3.11: Pursuit of Peace
    2.15: Senate Murders
    3.12: Nightsisters
    3.13: Monster
    3.14: Witches of the Mist
    3.15: Overlords
    3.16: Altar of Mortis
    3.17: Ghosts of Mortis
    3.18: The Citadel
    3.19: Counterattack
    3.20: Citadel Rescue
    Republic Commando: True Colors
    3.21: Padawan Lost
    3.22: Wookiee Hunt
    4.01: Water War
    4.02: Gungan Attack
    4.03: Prisoners
    Republic 64: Bloodlines
    Republic 65-66: Show of Force
    4.04: Shadow Warrior
    4.05: Mercy Mission
    4.06: Nomad Droids
    4.07: Darkness on Umbara
    4.08: The General
    4.09: Plan of Dissent
    4.10: Carnage of Krell
    4.11: Kidnapped
    4.12: Slaves of the Republic
    4.13: Escape from Kadavo
    4.14: A Friend in Need
    Operation Durge’s Lance Begins
    4.15: Deception
    4.16: Friends and Enemies
    4.17: The Box
    4.18: Crisis on Naboo
    4.19: Massacre
    4.20: Bounty
    4.21: Brothers
    4.22: Revenge
    Medstar Duology
    General Grievous
    5.02: A War on Two Fronts
    5.03: Front Runners
    5.04: The Soft War
    5.05: Tipping Points
    5.06: The Gathering
    5.07: A Test of Strength
    5.08: Bound for Rescue
    5.09: A Necessary Bond
    5.10: Secret Weapons
    5.11: A Sunny Day in the Void
    5.12: Missing in Action
    5.13: Point of No Return
    5.01: Revival
    5.14: Eminence
    5.15: Shades of Reason
    5.16: The Lawless
    5.17: Sabatoge
    5.18: The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
    5.19: To Catch a Jedi
    5.20: The Wrong Jedi
    Routine Valor
    The Clone Wars 601: The Unknown
    -The Clone Wars 602: Conspiracy
    -The Clone Wars 603: Fugitive
    -The Clone Wars 604: Orders
    -The Clone Wars 605: An Old Friend
    -The Clone Wars 606: The Rise of Clovis
    -The Clone Wars 607: Crisis at the Heart
    -The Clone Wars 608: The Disappeared: Part I
    -The Clone Wars 609: The Disappeared: Part II
    -The Clone Wars 610: The Lost One
    -The Clone Wars 611: Voices
    -The Clone Wars 612: Destiny
    -The Clone Wars 613: Sacrifice
    -The Clone Wars Legacy: Story Reel 01: A Death on Utapau
    -The Clone Wars Legacy: Story Reel 02: In Search of the Crystal
    -The Clone Wars Legacy: Story Reel 03: Crystal Crisis
    -The Clone Wars Legacy: Story Reel 04: The Big Bang
    Changing Seasons
    -The Clone Wars Legacy: Story Reel 05: The Bad Batch
    -The Clone Wars Legacy: Story Reel 06: A Distant Echo
    -The Clone Wars Legacy: Story Reel 07: On the Wings of Keeradaks
    -The Clone Wars Legacy: Story Reel 08: Unfinished Business
    -The Clone Wars: Dark Disciple (first half)
    -Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir
    -The Clone Wars: Dark Disciple (second half)
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
    Republic 72-73: Trackdown
    Kanan: The Last Padawan 7-10
    Obession
    Brothers in Arms
    Labyrinth of Evil
    Republic 74-77: The Siege of Saleucami
    Republic Commando (Mission to Kashyyk)
    Revenge of the Sith
    Republic Commando: Order 66
    Republic 81-83: Hidden Enemy
    Battlefront 2
    Kanan: The Last Padawan 1-5​

I have more written, but for the sake of space I will post that later. I underestimated how much I would write.

So now I shall begin. Jedi Starfighter begins prior to the start of the war and both sides are preparing some extent for the conflict. In terms of the Jedi, they began testing a new starfigther to strengthen the Jedi’s ability to keep the peace. Mace Windu informed Adi Galia of the possibility of concern and that the Jedi would become involved. Although he sounds concerned, he was willing to aid resistance forces against the Trade Federation who were known to have Separatist ties. If something went wrong there would have been a possibility of inciting a war. While the Jedi did not find war desirable, they seemed to have recognized its possibility and were willing to risk it for certain missions. Furthermore, the Jedi’s knowledge of illegal weapons test in the Carfax sector would indicate that they recognized some belligerence from the Separatists. It is true that they did not believe Dooku was capable of assassinating Senator Amidala, but his leadership would not have spoken for every Separatist leader. The idea of Jedi preparation for the war is further substantiated by the actions of Quinlan Voss and his former master, Tholme. The constructed a large spy network within the Separatist movement, to stay informed of future developments. Voss was quick to use it to obtain battle plans once war broke out. The Jedi may not have expected to be militarily prepared, but they were ready for war in other ways.

Meanwhile, the CIS were testing a new weapon that could give them an advantage in the war. Under Captain Cavik Toth began testing weapons using Tri-Hexalon poison in the days leading up to the Battle of Geonosis; it was employed during the battle and id Master Galia had not prevented its use and destroyed all ships capable of deploying the poison, the Republic would have lost. This weapon sets the precedent of the Separatists seeking superweapons in the beginning of the war in order to obtain an advantage against the Republic.

Soon after Geonosis, Dooku began a quest for the Dark Reaper, another super weapon which worked by feeding off force energy. Soon after the Separatists test a poison on one of Naboo’s moons and Dooku dispatches his general, Sev’rance Tan to steal the Desolator which was a new weapon being developed by the Republic. The Separatists focus on new weapons reveals a desire to end the war quickly and a possible belief in the Republic’s military superiority. Despite their droid armies vastly outnumbering the GAR, the Separatists sought additional advantages. Since they were developing such weapons prior to the war, they likely feared the possibility of the Republic mobilizing its resources for war. At that time, the Republic had no military and on the surface would not stand a chance against a Separatist assault. When the war broke out the Republic must have had similar thoughts. It was only a month into the war that they started developing the Desolator in order to obtain an advantage against the Separatists. In addition, these development indicate a rapid technological advancement as is common in war. Each faction managed to prevent their enemy from fully employing their new weapons reveals the relative equality of the CIS and GAR neither side was able to gain a clear advantage over the other creating a stalemate which would persist throughout much of the war. It is true that all of these instance ended in a Republic victory, but it was not enough to lead to the Separatists being pushed back in any major way. The Republic prevented itself from being destroyed, but both sides suffered massive causalities.

The early battles of the war demonstrate attempts at breaking the stalemate that resulted in Republic victories, but the Separatists always managed to remain on an equal footing. At Geonosis the Republic focused its attacks on droid core ships (The Clone Wars 2003), and sent commando squads after Separatist leaders and factories (Republic Commando). Many of these attacks were successful, but many ships escaped as did the most important Separatist leaders thus setting the stage for a protracted conflict. The Separatists still suffered a massive set back and had to rebuild its army. As a testament to Separatist ingenuity, General Sev’rance Tan quickly rebuilt Separatist forces; enough so that even after her defeat they maintained a formidable fighting force. Still even before her work, the Separatists managed to match the Republic. They employed a vast amount of troops during the Dark Reaper Crisis, and even after their defeat launched an attack on Kamino hoping to prevent the Republic from increasing its clone armies. Having yet to develop clone Starfighters, the Republic was at a disadvantage and the Separatists almost won. But thanks to Jedi heroism the invasion was repelled preventing a devastating defeat. Following that, the CIS put up stiff resistance at the Battle of Muunlinist while launching a failed invasion at Mon Cala. The Republic invasion of Muunlinist shows that the Republic followed its victory at Thule by going on the offensive. They targeted the one of the galaxy’s financial capitals, likely in the hope it would destroy the Separatist war effort by cutting off their financial flow. In addition, the CIS had built new droid factories there thus providing a militarily important target. While an important victory, it did not manage to cause lasting damage to the Separatists. These battles occurred on strategically critical worlds revealing the sides’ ability to strike at the center of their opponent. The inability to obtain a strategic advantage not only suggest a stale, but the course of the war also hints at someone manipulating the conflict behind the scenes.

The Republic suffered a major defeat on the world of Jabiim, which was damaging to the Republic’s morale and led to the death of many soldiers and Jedi. As worlds began to secede the Republic got pulled into increasingly brutal conflicts. The early war was not just stopping new weapons, but also attempts at preventing the galaxy from falling further apart. Not only was there a series of fast paced campaigns, but also prolonged conflicts on seemingly minor worlds as the Republic deployed the clone army in support loyalist forces. The battle at Jabiim demonstrates the brutality of the war. While most battles are presented as quick and the sources do not go into details about the suffering caused by the conflict, Jabiim illuminates these things. The Clone Wars was an incredibly violent and destructive conflict and seeing an illustration of this is more powerful than just hearing such statements. The Padawan Pack which was active and died on Jabiim becomes a window further into the conflict’s brutality. The Jedi had cultivated a reputation for invincibility over the years, yet the war reduced their numbers to the point where padawans were unable to find new masters. The effects of Jabiim are seen at the Battle of Aargonar where Ki Adi Mundi acknowledges the large defeat at Jabiim and uses it as a motivation to keep fighting – if the Republic lost again then their reputation would suffer far too much damage leading to more successions.

Next I will discuss a few more details into Anakin's progression during the early stages of the war and some of the other effects within the Republic and the Jedi.

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  3. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Maybe :). I guess this thread is quite similar to his work, which I find very interesting and fun. I think the difference is that I'm not trying to unify everything, but construct a narrative of the Clone Wars because I noticed that TCW and the multimedia project give an overarching narrative of the war and that always disappointed me since I started spending a lot of time with this era's stories. Some of the source books do something along those lines, but I never felt like it was enough. This project is inspired by that realization and some of the different projects people have done on this thread, however I never thought of any of those much when coming up with this idea. Also, I just love the Clone Wars era and wanted to post a large thread about it.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    You have the Clovis arc from Season 6 in the wrong place, it's set at some point before the episode Revival.

5. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I based my order for TCW on the timeline on the Star Wars website. They groups all of season six together.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't remember hearing this before. It was originally meant to follow after an earlier episode, but that obviously didn't actually happen.

7. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    There are several indications in the arc that strongly imply that it's set before both the Season 5 Mandalore and Ahsoka Fugitive arcs.

For one thing, Obi-Wan refers to Satine in the present tense, implying that she's still alive, and doesn't mention anything about her death. Secondly, Palpatine is guarded by the classic blue Senate guards, and he only gets the Red guards in the Fugitive arc, so this is set before then.

A small detail is a model Anakin holds in the Jedi Temple, showing a hybrid AOTC/ROTS Jedi fighter design, implying that this is before the ROTS design was fully implemented, and a hybrid was used offscreen.

Also Palpatine is still voiced by Ian Abercrombie (barring one or two lines), before fully transitioning over to Tim Curry in the Fugitive arc.

8. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    It's been a while since I watched that arc but I think most of those aren't that large of an issue. Palpatine being voiced by Ian Abercrombie tells us more about filming order rat her than the chronological order of episodes. Filming often skips around chronologically. There are many reasons why Obi-Wan may continue to refer to Satine in the present tense after her death; if it wasn't intentional it could have been a writing mistake. The starfighter model could be a prototype that had already ceased being used or a model that has never been deployed. Anakin holding it doesn't indicate that it's a current model. Also, even if we moved the Clovis arc the hybrid model at most would have only seen brief use. Placing the arc with season 6 wouldn't add much more time and so it doesn't make a difference. The senate guards are an issue. It is possible that Palpatine slowly introduced the red guards and they worked simultaneously with the blue senate gaurds. The show doesn't give ame explanation, we just suddenly see a design change, so there is room for this. Realistically, you're right and that would constitute a continuity error within the show, but I'm already dealing with that a little. I need to go back and check but I think one of the comics I read used the red guards, so my combined time line already has that issue. I was supposed to address it in this post or the next but left it out because I didn't feel like I could rely on the sources themselves to come up with an explanation. It would be too far in making things up than I want to go. I may look back and see of I can trace the uniform through the war and come up with something. I think overall it's best to stay with the time line the story group decided since that's canon. Also, I didn't want to spend too mich time discissing backgro7nd detalis. When I get towards the end of season five I'll keep in mind the pointsame you brought up and try to discuss them.

9. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I also remembered one other small thing, Palapatine's character model is still the Season 4 version. He wears the robes that Palpatine wears in the opening of AOTC. His hair is also larger, before it was reduced from the Maul arc onwards. From that arc onwards, he also changes outfits to the one he wears in the beginning of ROTS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So it would be a bit jarring to see his character model change back to how it used to be for 3 episodes.

10. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    That is a good point and you're probably right about it originally being placed earlier. At the same time people can change their appearance often, so it doesn't create a continuity error. I still do want to stick with the canon time line though because one of my rules is that TCW is the most credible inforation on the war. So it's one thing to move the stories from the multimedia project around, but I feel like my rules require me to stay with the official order for TCW because I'm using canon as the basis for being completely credible. Also, I'm not focused on making a completely cohesive timeline. I want errors and contradictions. I just went with the official TCW timeline and moved the Multimedia stories around it. The goal is to get something that mostly works for me to them interpretty the stories.

11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If only. I would have doubled myself!

To the OP, I have a minor quibble, but only one.

Obsession. If you set it where you have, not only is Ventress dead, but so is Adi Galia. The only detached point for it to fit is before Ventress makes it back to Dathomir after Savage betrays her.

And it explains what she was up to rather than making it straight back like he did.

Is this designed to include all Clone Wars material or some of it? I missed references to some bits, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediKnight75 likes this.
  12. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    JediKnight75 and Sinrebirth like this.
  13. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    That makes sense about Obsession. I originally placed it where I did because I always understood it as the beginning of the Outer Rim Seiges and I wanted some continuity errors. However, I think you're right about it creating to many problems. Also, if it explains what Ventures was doing then it serves my purposes better moved. I can't edit the lost, but I'll make a note to myself to move Obsession. Thanks for pointing that out; feedback is very helpful! :)

It's meant to include all, or at least most, Clone Wars material. I don't have acess to a lot of it and don't want to spend money on all of the TCW books and comics, in addition to the Clone Wars Adventures comics. So this is all of the material I own and can read/view. I think it's enough for my purposes. From what I can tell, nothing I left out includes major events that will detract from my project; if I realize I'm wrong, I'll try to add the source as a go.

Awesome! Thanks! That's really helpful :)

14. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    This post will draw on the same material as my previous one. This should be the only time I do that.

A frequent theme during the initial stages of the war was Jedi struggling with their role in the galaxy. Mace Windu explicitly states this when he informs the Chancellor that Jedi are peacekeepers; their role was not military. Yet, once the war begins they are thrust into the conflict. Early in the war Yoda and Mace Windu discuss this issue again and mention Jedi not answering the council’s call to arms due to a belief in the Republic’s corruption (Republic 49). Being called to a new role, provoked different responses from Jedi. While the Council hesitantly cooperated with the war effort, other left deciding that they were being asked too much. Multiple groups of Jedi left the order and united under Master Sora Bulq (Jedi: Mace Windu). Windu met with them on Ruul in the hope that he could prevent the formation of a Jedi schism. His conversation with Jedi on Ruul revealed their dissatisfaction with the Republic and the trauma from the war. Master Windu discovered that Soar Bulq had fallen to the dark side demonstrating that many Jedi were at risk of straying from the light and Dooku's ability to convince prominent Jedi to join his cause. The CIS's Dark Jedi would remain a threat throughout the war and they had to guard against further attempts from Count Dooku from corrupting Jedi. Even trusted master could no longer be counted on to remain loyal. However, by preventing a schism and showing the evil of the Confederacy, Mace Windu ensured the order, on a whole, would be united for the rest of the war.

The division within the galaxy was reflected in the division amongst Jedi; the division cut deep into galactic society and affected more than the politicians, civilians, and cooperation. In “Dead Ends” we see that the war increased crime in the galaxy. Security was weakened enough that pirates were willing to attack senatorial vessels. Thus revealing the way in which the war lessened galactic safety.

As heroes of the war, Anakin and Obi-Wan’s relationship and exploits are worth paying special attention to. The main source detailing their relationship prior to the war is Attack of the Clones which primarily demonstrates the tension between them and Anakin’s frustration with his training. While this source is 100 percent accurate, it is important to note that the goal is to illustrate Anakin’s fall to the Dark Side thus it does not portray many of the positive aspects of their relationship or Anakin’s heroism. However, glimpses of such things can be seen. Their banter upon arriving at the Temple following their mission to Ansion reveals their friendship as does Anakin’s comment that Obi-Wan is like a father to him. If they have a father-son relationship, frustration and arguments are to be expected. Furthermore, on multiple occasions Obi-Wan acknowledges Anakin’s feelings for Padme; yet he does not go far in correcting Anakin implying a willingness to allow his padawan to bend the Jedi rules to some extent. It is true that he did not know of Anakin’s marriage, but he did see some problems. We see this idea again in “Forever Young,” where he mentions Anakin having many crushes. He therefore was aware of Anakin’s struggle with this particular aspect of the Jedi Code. We see more of their friendship in the source detailing their missions from Kamino through Zaadja. While these sources are not as reliable, they suggest an awareness of the friendship between the war’s major heroes. Prior to the Battle of Kamino, Obi-Wan notices a change within his padawan and is concerned for his well-being and genuinely wants to help Anakin. While he initially refuses to allow Anakin to fly in the battle, he changes his mind acknowledging that Anakin was correct about being their best piolet. During the battle, Anakin fails to rescue his master, and Obi-Wan responds by teasing Anakin. As a result, this indicates that much of their bickering may be friendly and just part of their relationship. In “The New Face of War” Obi-wan acknowledges Anakin’s concern for Padme’s safety. Rather than scold him for his attachment to her, he comforts her.

Throughout the early war Anakin continues a string of heroic actions leading to his knighting. He single handedly stopped the Dark Reaper and was invaluable at the Battle of Kamino and then at Naboo's moon. He fought valiantly on Jabiim, even after his master’s disappearance. His solo actions provided further proof of his capability as a Jedi. While his experience at Jabiim worsened his struggles with attachment and affected him throughout the war making him less ready for knighthood, his actions at Zaadja may have indicated some level of overcoming his struggles. In between those battles Anakin showed his ability to succeed without guidance through his insistence that Obi-Wan survived and needed rescuing. Initially the Jedi took this as his rebelliousness and attachment, but eventually chose to trust his hunch. As a result, he was able to further demonstrate his abilities and possibly earn trust from the council. On Zaadja, Ankain initially disobeyed orders due to an unwillingness to allow an ally to die, but he eventually turns back and allowing himself to let go. This was not the end of his struggle, but it could have prepared him for becoming a Jedi Knight.In addition, the knowledge that Anakin struggled with attachment, but had learned to sometimes let go, may have been the catalyst for the council deciding to assign him a padawan to further aid in helping him with attachments. Although, hindsight demonstrates that this didn't work and possibly worsened the situation, at the time it likely seemed to be the wise decision. He followed this with his mission of Praestylin, demonstrating further that he was worthy to move beyond Padawan.

While we can question the veracity of early sources, they do more than provide insight into the early development of Anakin and Obi-Wan, but they also introduce Dooku’s assassin, Assajj Ventress. She is recruited by Count Dooku after her victory in an arena fight and joins the ranks of his Dark Jedi. She then fights Obi-Wan in “The New Face of the War,” and when she flees she proclaims him as her enemy, setting the stage for their continued rivalry through the war. They then fight again when Obi-Wan tries to obtain an antidote to a poison, solidifying the conflict between them.

So some of my thoughts on reading these stories before TCW: I enjoyed it a lot and think they work well together. The timeline does not work perfecty; even if you interpret them as a string of quick battles the timeline is still a little too crowded. However it does work. The biggest benefit is that it explains so much. Anakin being a knight seven weeks after Geonosis and receiving a padawan doesn't make much sense after AOTC. The comics and other sources explain it a little by allowing him to develop into a more trustworthy Jedi, and become a war hero. After Jedi Trial, Anakin is definitely capable of training a padawan. TCW assumes from the beginning that he is and so this is important to see. At Geonosis he was no more heroic than any other Jedi and so he must have went through a lot right away. Also, they provide a counter to the bickering in AOTC and portray some of the friendship we will see in TCW while also touching on Anakin's flaws more than we see in the show. As a result, they create a strong bridge. Also, these stories allow us to see more Anakin and Obi-Wan as a team without Ahsoka helping establish their reputation as a team. Also, like I mentioned already, it is important for the introduction of Ventress whom the show assumes is already known to the characters. So on a whole I think the benefit TCW. I will discuss the other comics along with TCW from here, but I thought that since I've done most of the Anakin and Obi-Wan stories from the multimedia project it would be good to present my thoughts. That's where TCW benefits the multimedia project -- it did not focus much on the heroes of the war despite it being central to the development of Anakin.

15. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    This post includes 2.16: Cat and Mouse, Jedi: Aayla Secura (plus the Quinlan Voss comic which comes before it; the omnibus combines them), 1.16: The Hidden Enemy, and The Clone Wars.

As the fighting intensifies the Separatists manage to capture major hyperspace trade routes, dividing the GAR and cutting off trade routes. As a result, the Republic would have been placed at a military and economic disadvantage. The Battle at Brentaal and the rescue of Jabba’s son suggest that the Republic responded by working to nullify this advantage. The Jedi sent Masters Shaak Ti, Plo Koon, and Agen Kolar to liberate Brentaal IV which controlled one of the most important hyperspace lane. The Battle of Brentaal IV proved to be brutal, but resulted in a Republic victory providing much needed relief to the Republic’s economy and facilitated the movement of troops across the galaxy, while also depriving the Separatists resources. It was an important victory, one that helped break the Separatist advantage. Meanwhile, Anakin and Obi-Wan were sent to the strategically important world, Christophsis, which was a resource rich world and through its capture the CIS would further its control over the galactic economy. Therefore, it was imperative that the Separatist invasion was halted. While the Battle of Christophsis did not do much to end CIS control over the hyperspace lanes, it was a major Republic victory and resulted in the presumed death of Admiral Trench, who was important to the Separatist army. Most importantly, it ensured that the worrld’s resources remained under Republic control. While these battles were helpful, the Separatists maintained overall control of hyperspace lanes. At this time an opportunity for alternative routes presented itself. While the Hutts had aligned with the Separatists during Sev’rance Tan’s campaign, they turned to the Chancellor for help. It is possible that Jabba had decided that since the CIS could not prevent the kidnapping of his son, then they were not necessarily the best allies. They would not benefit the Hutts in these chaotic times. By contacting the Republic he could determine if the Hutts would be better siding with the Republic and/or force the Separatists to help the Hutt clans rather than be the sole beneficiaries from the alliance. Little did Jabba know, Dooku had kidnapped his son; the Sith lord was hoping to manipulate the Hutts into turning further against the Republic. If he could frame them for killing Jabba’s son, the Hutts would not only be allies of the Separatists, but openly hostile to the Republic. Thus increasing the Separatist advantage. However, Dooku overplayed his hand and his plan was discovered, costing the Separatists an ally and opening new hyperspace lanes to the Republic for troop movements thus compensating for the Separatists advantage.

By Christophsis the war began to take shape and the militaries began to fully deploy their forces. This is when the war began to look as the galaxy would remember by its conclusion. Galactic citizens were not as familiar with the quick rushes to prevent the development of superweapons and other advanced weaponry, but they would remember the fleets of ships the GAR and CIS would deploy. Both fleets saw the introduction of their primary capital ships and deployed them in most battles. Also, the commanders the Arc Trooper Alpha trained upon his departure from Obi-Wan and Anakin had completed their training and joined the Jedi Generals in leading the clone army. Anakin took command of the 501st and Obi-Wan began leading the 7th Sky Corps which would remain the primary command throughout the war. Meanwhile, the Separatists introduced their T-series Tactical droids, improving their military performance, and then soon after introduced their commando droids providing a counter to the Clone Commandos. The initial stages of the war allowed for the development and implementation of these new technologies onto the battlefield. While the initial weeks promised to be more destructive, the served as a prelude to the main war. A longer conventional war had begun.
    At Christophis Anakin was given a padawan in order to help him let go. While in hindsight this may have seemed like a mistake, at the time it likely seemed like a wise decision. IT is true Anakin struggled with letting go, a struggle that only intensified in the weeks after Geonosis, However, after Zaadja, Anakin had shown signs of improvement. Since it would be years before Ahsoka was ready for the trials, Anakin would have time to continue to grow. As Yoda indicated this was a test Anakin needed to pass, and it likely wasn’t something they could put off with the war intensifying. Furthermore, as far as anyone could see, Anakin had proven himself to be a champion of the order and it’s important to note that as the war progressed Anakin seemed to be a good teacher. During the war there was no reason for the council to doubt that Anakin should be assigned a padawan.

Jedi: Aayla Secura
    The Republic was still spread thin (TCW movie) which likely created a need to gain information on the Separatists and Dooku. This could explain Master Voss’s undercover mission, which performed early in the war. Since Quinlan Voss had deep cover experience, Yoda, Mace Windu, Ki Adi Mundi, and Tholme decided to send him on a mission to infiltrate Dooku’s inner circle without the awareness of the rest of the Jedi or the Republic. It is likely that they didn’t even notify Chancellor Palpatine. To ensure the ruse was believed, Master Agen Kolar was sent by the Council to arrest Quinlan Voss for treason.
    The confederacy also utilized raiders to attack supply shipments going to Republic forces. This shows that despite their numerical superiority, the Separatists continued to use every method available to destabilize their enemy and chose to simultaneously fight as a conventional military, combined with advanced weaponry, and through tactics more associated with a rebellion. Such tactics would have kept the Republic off balance and increased their disadvantage. The CIS likely threatened to overwhelm the Republic through more than its numerical advantage. Separatist control of numerous hyperspace lanes likely aided in the ability to conduct such raids. A Jedi strike team tracked these raiders to a base on Devaron where they were defeated.

16. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    An update: so it will be a while for my next post. As I've been proceding through the material I've been debating how I want to proceed with posts. Originally I wanted to do a post about each year of the war after doing getting to Anakin's knighting. I changed my plan in the posting so I could updatell more regularly. But I realized that doing so would make this project more like a read through and less about trying to discuss the progression of the war using as many sources as I could. There is room for some commentary since I also meant for this project to be a way to enjoy all Clone Wars media, but trying to talk about each source isn't the purpose.

Also if anyone has any advice or feedback I'd greatly appreciate it.