main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"A Game of Hearts" - Ani/Ami Episode II fic (reposted)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Cindé of Naboo, May 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    I've been posting this in my Tears of an Angel thread, (BTW, feel free to contribute to that thread if you like; I would love to see new stuff there!) but it was getting rather unwieldy, so I decided to give it a thread of its own. It's an Episode II fic focusing on Anakin and Padmé, as I said, and since I'm suffering from minor writer's block right now, I'm hoping that re-posting all that I've already written will give me time to start writing again. ;)

Now, I have to give a little warning: this may have spoilers. I say may because I have not intentionally made this a spoiler-filled story, nor do I have possession of the script to Episode II. On the other hand, I have not been spoiler-free myself, so some things have slipped in. I won't say what they are, because that would make spoilers even more likely, but I guess it's only fair to give a warning. I hope I haven't scared too many people away! So here's a post to get started:
    -----------------
    With the setting of the sun his confidence rose. The darkness would be his friend, his cover. He could slip, unseen, to her chambers. What he would do once he got there, he had no idea. Better to take things one step at a time.

He waited until he could hear the measured breathing of his master, indicating that he had fallen asleep. Rising cautiously from his cot, he made his way across the room to the door, taking silent, careful steps. Moments later, he was padding noiselessly down the hallway, headed towards the large glass doors that would lead outside.

Back in the guestroom, Obi-Wan sat up in the cot from where he had been watching his apprentice sneak out. He considered, momentarily, going after him. But then he smiled and shook his head. Let him go. This was a lesson he would have to learn for himself.
    --
    Anakin had reached her chambers. A light from the window turned the surrounding darkness into pale orange, hopefully a sign that she was still awake. He was considerably frustrated to realize that all his nervousness had returned. His heart pounding, his palms sweaty, he looked up at the door that seemed to loom before him. Taking a deep breath, he lifted a tightly clenched fist and prepared to knock.

"Hello?" A musical voice drifted over from the nearby patio. "Is someone there?"

He knew that voice well ? it brought back some of his sweetest childhood memories. A kind face, a warm smile, a gentle touch. Unable to keep the excited smile from his face, he turned to see her.

The voice did not match the figure that stood before him. Though she no longer wore the ceremonial makeup of royalty, Padmé was still dressed in the elaborate clothing that seemed to make her more of a statue that a human. Anakin well remembered the nervous awe the queen had inspired in a former slave boy, so different from the ease with which he spoke to her handmaiden counterpart. But he swallowed his fear. Stupid, to be afraid of another person.

"It's me," he replied, his voice only shaking slightly. "Anakin."

She stepped down from the patio, her jewelry jangling, but stopped on the last step, still standing above Anakin. Her face held an expression he could not interpret as he looked up at her. "Of course," she was saying, and her voice seemed to return to the elevated, almost stilted tone he was used to associating with the figure. "You arrived today, did you not?"

"Yes." He was furious to hear his voice squeak, and cleared his throat with a vengeance, looking down at his feet as his face turned red. "My master and I came here, to protect you. There's trouble in the Republic, you know, you could be in danger." What was he babbling about? The political climate? Idle chitchat? Stupid, stupid!

"I thank you for your concern." Cold, distant. They might as well be meeting for the first time. Anakin look up miserably.

Then it caught his eye. There it was, nestled amongst all the golden jewelry, royal necklaces, and gorgeous adornments. The simple talisman, carved from ch

2. LadyKenobi

LadyKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2001
    Wow! Beautiful start! You can never have to much Ani/Ami, I'm already hooked. More soon I hope! :)

3. Anakin's Angel

Anakin's Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000

Alright! Cool...I did want to catch up on this story, but didn't know where to start! Glad to see you gave it it's own thread!

aa :)

4. CeNedra

CeNedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    Oooh, Cindé, that was good! :) More soon, I'm hoping?

5. Ashamaphone

Ashamaphone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    :[face_sigh]: You've hooked yet another poor, lost soul who can't get enough Ani/Ami.

:[face_sigh]: I'm really glad school is almost over--more time for fanfics!! I know, I know. I have no life. ;)

6. sabrelight

sabrelight Jedi Master star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Yea! You started a new thread. Just when I put this story on the A/A index(with the ters of an angel address you gave it a new thread)But i'm glad you did it. This is such a cute story.

7. Angel of Iego

Angel of Iego Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2000
    Ah, I told you, Cinde! People are brave.

Glad to see that this beautiful story has a spiffy new home of its own.

8. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Oh, joy! Happy readers! And happy readers mean happy writers. :) So I'm going to put up another post tonight. Posts will be coming fast and furious for a while, because I've already written a great deal. The hard part is figuring out where to go from there....but until then, enjoy! :D
    --------
    "You know you're not supposed to wander around without permission." Obi-Wan decided a little discipline couldn't hurt, before he asked his Padawan what had actually happened the night before.

"Then why didn't you stop me?" Anakin grumbled, rolling over in his cot and pulling the pillow over his head.

His master walked determinedly over to the cot and pulled the pillow away. "Because you wouldn't have listened. It's just a good thing you didn't get caught."

Anakin sat up in his cot and folded his arms across his chest. "Oh, and I'm sure you were just a perfect Padawan, never wandering around the temple without permission or sneaking around at night ?"

"You've got to give me more credit than that," Obi-Wan grinned slyly.

His apprentice laughed. "You did fool around then?"

"You'd be surprised."

"Not likely."

Obi-Wan threw the pillow back at him Anakin, who caught it just before it hit him full in the face. "Don't get smart. I was quite the rascal. And I never got caught."

"And here I was thinking you were the straight one," Anakin laughed, tossing the pillow and blanket on the cot as he stood up. "Going around with a severe expression on your face while Qui-Gon broke every rule in the Code!"

Obi-Wan shook his head, his expression growing more serious. "Well...maybe I did become a little obsessed with keeping the rules. Someone had to keep my master in line, and who better than his apprentice?"

"You didn't do a very good job of it," Anakin pointed out smugly. "You broke quite a few rules yourself to carry out his death wish."

"And you'd better be grateful!"

They were both silent, their joking drifting away as they remembered their old friend. "Yes," Anakin said at last. "I am grateful, master."

"So what happened?" Obi-Wan shifted the conversation abruptly back to its original topic.

Anakin felt his face turning red and sat down sheepishly. "Oh...nothing. Nothing at all. She acted like she hardly knew me, and sent me off to bed as if she were my mother."

"I'm sorry," Obi-Wan said sincerely. "But ? you should have expected it."

"Oh, come on, Master!" Anakin burst out angrily. "We were good friends once. She could have at least recognized that. She barely recognized me."

"Anakin," Obi-Wan said gently. "It may not be that she didn't recognize you. It may be that she doesn't want to recognize you."

"What do you mean by that?" His apprentice looked at him sharply.

"Padmé has a great many responsibilities," Obi-Wan began slowly. "You might say she carries the weight of an entire planet on her shoulders. And she can't really afford to add further worries or complications to that ? any more than you can," he added sternly.

Anakin frowned. "But I don't see why ?"

"There's a great many things you don't see," Obi-Wan said dryly. "That doesn't mean they don't exist."

Confused and miffed, Anakin started to protest. But his master stopped him. "We don't have time to discuss this. We'll be meeting with her ? officially ? in less than an hour. We need to get ready."

Anakin shrugged miserably. "She's already seen me at my worst. I don't see why it should make such a difference."

His master sighed as he watched the boy dress, a forlorn frown on his face. All of the Council's warnings seemed to be coming true. The training had started too late; Anakin had already allowed his emotions to take hold of him and control his actions. Teaching him to control them instead was not an easy task. And he feared it would lead to trouble before the teaching was done.

But now was not the time for regret. The boy would learn eventually, and meanwhile he was proving to be an entertaining companion for Obi-Wan ? more of a little brother than an apprentice

9. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Well, you have for sure hooked me! You can never have too much A/A :) Uppity!!!

10. Jedi-Jae

Jedi-Jae Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2001
    Cinde, I was awful about lurking on the other thread, but I've been keeping up with this story. It's wonderful and really deserves its own thread. Hope you get past your writer's block!

11. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    They would be meeting in one of the palace?s many reception rooms, a small but elaborate
    room, lined with large windows which allowed for the natural light that flooded the room.
    Sculptures and tapestries filled the shelves and walls, as though Naboo?s artisans produced more works of art than the palace could hold. Anakin felt like they were all staring down at him disapprovingly, at the ragged little boy who didn?t belong. Swallowing, he tried to adopt the same
    peaceful stance as his master, who stood calmly at the table that took up most of the room, his hands folded together, his face calm.

Just when he had managed to put a reasonably tranquil expression on his face, Padmé entered through the door at the opposite end of the room. Upon her arrival, his cover fell apart completely and he simply let his mouth fall open, as though he had forgotten how to close it.

She was beautiful, a far cry from the cold statue of last night. She had let her curled hair fall down freely, brushing against the soft fabric of her dress as she walked towards them. She had chosen to wear blue, the color, he well remembered, that he had first seen her in, a color that brought out her eyes and seemed to make her even more radiant than usual.

?Good morning, Master Jedi,? she greeted them, a warm, real smile on her face. Suddenly gaining control of himself ? probably due to the sharp nudge that his master applied to his arm ? Anakin snapped his mouth shut and bowed, as Obi-Wan was doing.

?We thank you for meeting with us,? his master was saying, and he bobbed his head in
    agreement, feeling like an idiot and wondering why he had lost all power of speech. ?There are several matters which we must discuss with you.?

?And I thank you for coming,? she responded, ?though I don?t know why the Jedi are so concerned for my safety.?

Obi-Wan?s voice turned rather grave. ?That is exactly what I wish to discuss. I?m afraid the situation in the Republic has become rather serious.?

?Yes,? Padmé replied, glancing at Anakin, ?so I?ve heard.? Anakin turned a bright shade of red. ?Shall we be seated?? She indicated the table with a sweeping gesture.

?Thank you.? Obi-Wan took a seat at the table, urging his apprentice to do the same.
    Anakin reluctantly tore his eyes aware from Padmé and sat down beside his master, suddenly very aware of how stupid he must have looked with his mouth hanging open.

Obi-Wan saw no reason to beat about the bush. ?Several leaders in the Republic have been the victims of mysterious assassinations, and there will likely be news of more by the time we return to Coruscant. There are suspicions of spies ? indeed, the Chancellor himself suspects that a high-ranking official may be responsible.?

Padmé had turned slightly pale at the reports, but she merely shrugged. ?Yes, I have been aware of some problems ? though,? she admitted, ?I did not know of the assassinations. But Master Jedi, have you any idea why anyone would want to do any with these leaders? And why would I be in any particular danger??

?Because,? Obi-Wan said grimly, ?whoever is responsible for these murders seems to pick out the most outspoken, the most active leaders. And you must admit, you have proven
    to be a major force in the Republic. If someone doesn?t like those who refuse to sit passively and do nothing, I?m afraid you are in grave danger indeed.?

Padmé swallowed; Anakin noticed that she looked pretty even when she fighting back
    fear. Then he shook himself; so far, all he had added to conversation was a lot of stupid nodding.

?But you don?t need to worry anymore,? he piped up, ?because we?ve been sent here, to protect you.?

?Have you?? she smiled ever so slightly. ?I?m grateful for your help. But,? she went on seriously, ?there?s no reason for you to put yourself in danger on my behalf.?

?We don?t have a choice,? Obi-Wan smiled. ?We have our orders from the Jedi Council. It?s not wise to go against Master Yoda?s orders.? Anakin couldn?t help sniggering. Obi-Wan looked at him warningly, but he was st

12. LadyKenobi

LadyKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2001
    Great post. I think Padme needs her head checked. This story is really cute. I can't wait for more. :D

13. Ashamaphone

Jan 27, 2001
    "A little smile appeared on her own face as she looked up, and up and up. "

I [face_love] that line!! Great posts!!!!

14. ThatJediGirl

Mar 11, 2001
    This is a great good A/A, post more please! Padme does need her head checked... ;)

15. Bug-squat

Bug-squat Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2001
    Wow, I'm new here and so far all the stories I've read are really good, including yours!

More! More!

16. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    This is my lucky day; I've found four new stories that I'm now hooked on. Well done!

17. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Anakin couldn't decide whether he wanted dinner to come or not. Half of him yearned to see Padmé again; the other half feared what other stupid things he might do or say when he was around her. Either way, the day plodded inevitably onward. He spent most of it in the guest chambers, sitting sullenly on the window seat and watching the sunlight reflected on the waters of the lake. The scene was beautiful ? like her, he thought glumly. And he couldn't be more different, more foreign, more removed from that beauty, like a bantha plunked down in the middle of the lake.

It seemed impossible to break through the protective layer she had drawn about herself, a mask like the face-paint she had once worn as queen. Yet there had been moments when he seemed to catch a glimpse, however brief, of what hid beneath.

And then it would all close up again, and he would be left clutching at thin air.

"Anakin?" His master's voice came from behind him.

He jumped. Obi-Wan was standing behind him with a grave expression on his face. "Is it time already?" he asked with a panicked squeak. "No, Master, I'm not ready ? I can't go yet ?"

"Anakin." Instead of the look of amusement Anakin was accustomed to see his master wear when he acted like a fool, Obi-Wan continued to look grim. "I've just received a communication from the Council."

His apprentice turned a sickly shade of white. "Is Padmé in danger?"

"More than ever. There's been another assassination."

Anakin relaxed slightly. "That's nothing new. I mean, it's a bad thing," he added hastily, "but ?"

Obi-Wan shook his head. "There's more. This leader was murdered on his home planet, Ithora. Not on Coruscant."

Anakin's mind began working rapidly. "Not on Coruscant - Ithora ? that's not too far from here!"

"Exactly." They both looked at each other for a moment. Then, without having to say a single word, they both headed for the door, hands on their weapons.

"Where are her chambers?" Obi-Wan asked as they hurried down the hallway. "I'm sure you know the way well."

Anakin rolled his eyes, wondering why his master always chose the most desperate situations to crack jokes. "It's this way. Come on!" He motioned Obi-Wan to follow him outside, where they took the well-worn path to Padmé's cottage. Anakin dreaded what they would find there. In his panicked mind, he had already imagined Padmé's delicate form sprawled on the floor, a blast wound on her chest. He tried to block the awful vision, but it would not be banished.

Obi-Wan began knocking on the door, calling Padmé's name urgently. Anakin, shaken out of his imaginings, joined in. There was no answer. Anakin's heart, which had just a few minutes earlier seemed to stop entirely, now began pounding, throbbing like a pulsing reactor. Obi-Wan gave him a grim look.

Taking a breath, Anakin opened the door and entered, followed closely by his master. The sight that met his eyes was not a pleasant one. Padmé's chambers looked like they had been ransacked. Objects were strewn all over the floor; vases had been broken and their shattered pieces crunched under Anakin's boots as he stepped forward. Padmé was nowhere to be seen.

"Master ?" Anakin whispered.

"Shhh!" Obi-Wan held up a finger and cocked his head to one side. "Do you hear that?"

Anakin listened. At last he heard it ? a quiet rustling noise, coming from the back room. Trying to keep from making too much noise as he made his way through the mess, he walked towards the noise, his hand on his saber. Obi-Wan followed, pulling his own weapon from his belt.

The location of the noise quickly became clear ? a small closet located in the bedroom. Anakin approached the door and slowly reached for the controls to open it.

"Careful," Obi-Wan murmured, lifting his saber and preparing to activate it.

He pressed the button, and the door opened. Seconds later, Anakin found a blaster pointed at his chest, held by small, white hands.

Anakin followed the hands to their owner. It was Padmé. Her face tense, her eyes wild, she stared at

18. ThatJediGirl

Mar 11, 2001
    Great Post!!! Anakin saved the Queen- I am so happy!

19. darth_morgana

darth_morgana Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
  20. CeNedra

Apr 9, 2001
    That was cute, and good! The part with the hands reminded me of Leia and Han, yet it felt different enough to be unsimilar. :D :)

21. IellaWessiriNRI

IellaWessiriNRI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2001
    AHHHH!!! that's so beautifully written!! *tear*

nooo ani! don't leave her! ::cough::

umm... sorry... i'm an ani/ami addict :D

22. Cindé of Naboo

Apr 19, 2000
    Yay! I've got you all hooked. [face_devil] heehee...glad you're all enjoying it so far. Here's some more!
    --------
    Anakin paced the outer room, ignoring the crunching under his feet. What had he been thinking? Padmé had very nearly been killed, and all he could do was tease her? It was downright heartless. And yet ? he had seen an opening in her covering, and he couldn't help but go for it. She had seemed so weak and helpless in his arms, ready to open up to him. And then she had completely clammed up again.

He tried not to think about it. There were too many important things to worry about right now, too much, to be worrying about something as trivial as what she thought of him, or how he could make her care for him. The most important thing right now was getting her away to safety.

Obi-Wan had returned. "Is she ready?" he asked, stopping his apprentice in the middle of another round of pacing.

He shrugged. "I don't know."

His master suppressed his exasperation. "Why don't you go ask her?"

"Oh." Anakin started towards the bedroom.

The door opened as he approached it. He peeked in rather nervously. Padmé was bent over her bed, placing various items of clothing in a container. Her hair was falling recklessly in her face, and she tossed it back with annoyance. Her face was flushed, adding a hint of red to her cheeks.

"Er ? may I come in?"

She looked up in surprise. "What? Oh...yes, of course. I'm almost ready."

Wondering why the stupidest questions always seemed to come out of his mouth, Anakin entered. "Obi-Wan's back. We'll need to be leaving soon."

"Right." She finished packing and began closing her suitcases and fastening them tightly. Anakin stepped forward.

"Here, let me help." He reached out to take a suitcase, brushing her hand in the process. She snatched back her hand as though it had been burned. Anakin did not comment, though he couldn't keep from frowning. "Are you all ready then?"

She nodded. He began picking up the suitcases. "I can carry those," she protested, starting to grab them back. But he pulled them away.

"You've had enough worries for one day. I'll take care of them."

He thought he could actually see a smile growing on her face. "You just want to show off all your spectacular Jedi strength, don't you?"

"Of course," Anakin replied, flashing her what he hoped was a roguish grin. "It works for all the other ladies."

Padmé began to look rather sly. "All right. Go ahead and carry them. See how long you last."

Anakin began to see what she meant as they met Obi-Wan in the outer room and made their way outside. Padmé seemed to have packed her entire wardrobe into those suitcases, and even his "Jedi" arms were beginning to tire from the strain. He kept his complaints to himself, however, if only because Padmé was smiling again.

Obi-Wan glanced at his Padawan and shook his head. That boy was going to wear himself to the ground ? and all for the sake of a woman. Well, that was nothing new to the galaxy.

23. ThatJediGirl

Mar 11, 2001
    Great Post! When will Amidala realize Anakin like really likes her? We may never know.

24. CeNedra

Apr 9, 2001
    Gotta love that last paragraph grin.

25. Ashamaphone

Jan 27, 2001
    hehe. Anakin showing off for his lady love. How typical ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.