main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A.I. Gets an Oscar nod... I'm a happy man.

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Renderking, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renderking

Renderking Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 26, 2001
    Achievement in music in connection with motion pictures (Original score)

"A.I. Artificial Intelligence" (Warner Bros.) John Williams

I love it when I pick a winner. This past summer I played this over and over again and couldn't get enough of it. I'm happy to see it at least get a nod.

2. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000
    That's great Renderking...I love that score as well. Because some people didn't like A.I. the movie, the score got overlooked. This is great because it will now get more attention.

But you left out THE BEST PART:

It's a double-whammy for Williams...
    He got nominated for HARRY POTTER as well.
    That doesn't happen very often that the same person gets two nominations in the same category! The last time it happened was with Steve Soderbergh last year being nominated as best director for both Traffic and Erin Brokovich.

3. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Original Score
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence, John Williams
    A Beautiful Mind, James Horner
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, John Williams
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Howard Shore
    Monsters, Inc., Randy Newman.

Personally, I think Howard Shore should win. I find it odd that Williams got two nominations, but two years ago he only got one for Angela's Ashes. TPM's score is way better than HP's.

4. Renderking

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm sorry, I did over look that! I was just thrilled to see A.I. on that list and didn't bother to read the rest.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes Jeff once again we agree... I was so furious when TPM's score was not even NOMINATED. It is so great and while it might not be the best Star Wars score ever, it was better than most of the nominees in 1999. I have not heard Harry Potter yet but it would have to be pretty amazing to be better than TPM's score.

6. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Since LOTR is looking to sweep a lot of awards (it's got the most nominations over all), I think they should give the Oscar to JW for A.I. As far as which I like best, though.... I can't really pick one over the other. Both are great, great scores.

7. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Frell...two great Williams scores vs. a guy who I'd never heard of before, but love the score...

8. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Williams has had this experience--being nominated for two scores--a few times already; it's quite different from Soderbergh's acheivement, which has happened only a few times for all directors.

I'll be rooting for AI's score.

9. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I'm gkad A.I. got a nod for best score, but it was overlooked for best picture

The Academy can bite me :mad:

10. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    As long as either Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or AI get the award, I'll be happy...

Lord of the Rings - If it wins, Howard Shore will be able to say "At least I got one Academy Award." Great score!

AI - Well Williams has two chances of winning.

Harry Potter - This is actually my favourite out of the three of them and I'll be getting out the champagne if it wins!!!

:D [face_devil]

11. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Williams has been nominated for more Academy Awards than any other living person.

Among dead people...Walt Disney is one of the few in William's league.

12. Darth Kimball

Darth Kimball Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2000
    The one that impressed me the most was Shore's work on Fellowship. That's probably the award that Fellowship deserves the most - and I think it deserves a lot of them.

As for the nominations, I have no major major complaints this year since all of the contenders are at least somewhat strong, though it's too bad both Amelie and Mulholland Drive were left out.

13. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    The award FOTR deserves is Makeup.

Glad to see A.I. nominated. It won't win, though.

14. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

But David Lynch was nominated for Mulholland Drive for Best Director. I don't think he'll win though.

15. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    I was just so surprised that Harry Potter was nominated! I just about hit the roof I was so excited.

I'm rooting for HP first and foremost, just slightly above LOTR.

Couldn't get too excited about the film AI, so I never got excited about the music, but that will be my number three choice based on a fierce devotion to Mr. Williams winning.

60% odds of liking the results... not bad at all.

16. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

The Lucasfilm Official site mentions that (with the addition of the two nominations this week) John Williams now has
    FORTY ONE Academy Award nominations under his belt. That's a world record.

(He's won 5 times)

17. Renderking

Mar 26, 2001
    He's the man... his music will outlive most of the movies.

18. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    When I saw A.I. this past summer I thought it was great. I remember paying attention to the musical score and not being very impressed with it. I did, however, enjoy the Harry Potter score, not even realizing that John Williams composed it until I saw the list of nominees the other day. I guess that I should pick up both CDs sometime soon and add them to my John Williams collection. I'm looking forward to hearing the A.I. score again.

I hope that he wins this year. I was expecting him to win for Saving Private Ryan a few years back. Hymn to the Fallen is awesome.

19. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I'm happy about the FOTR and AI score nominations, but the academy sure does like to embarrass themselves. No score or costume design nomination for TPM? No makeup nom this year for Planet of the Apes? Not to mention all the times Danny Elfman's music has been overlooked.
    And these people are the experts on all things filmic? :)

20. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    What an oversight on both my part and the Academy's. I forgot all about Planet of the Apes. Darth Homer is 100% correct in his assessment. And to think that Beautiful Mind got a nomination for makeup. It's a disgrace.

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I feel TPM deserved a make-up design nomination too. They did an excellent job with Maul, Amidala, and all other make-up effects.

22. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    I didn't forget Planet of the Apes, I was never able to get that out of my CD player, it was so damn good.

As long as we like it.

;)

23. EricSerra

EricSerra Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 16, 2002
    Howard Shore will sadly win because LOTR has 13 nominations, and he has never won an oscar before. It is sad, but it works that way.

24. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

It works that way? What way?

25. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    For those complaining about Make-up, here's how the Academy actually works:

For most categories: each member nominates two films (or performances, as the case may be) in their individual category. Everyone nominates two films for Best Picture. So directors nominate directors, actors nominate actors, editors nominate editors, costume designers nominate costume designers, etc. The five with the most selections get the nominations. This is why Best Picture and Best Director are usually a different set of five. It's actually odd that they manage to be so similar most of the time.

For Visual Effects, Sound, Make-up and Best Animated Feature (actually, this applies to Documentary as well), committees are formed, and each film must submit a series of reels to each committee. The committee selects a group of five films, and those five then submit another reel. The committee then decides to either give a special achievement award to one film, or nominate a small group. In order for a film to be nominated, it must receive a certain number of votes from members of the committee in order to qualify. If it does not, it doesn't get a nomination. The number depends on the committee.

That's how it's done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.