main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A question about the Jedi training

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by __clairvoyant__, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. __clairvoyant__

__clairvoyant__ Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2003
    I have always wondered about the way Jedi had been trained throughout the Saga,
    Look at any movie in the PT and OT, especially at ANH and ESB where we can see the progress a lot faster; when luke was being trained; he was just told what to do.Like 'see to the future you can' and things similar to that.Well, how do Jedi Masters establish the amount of concentration in a padawan to foresee the future or make him learn other force powers by just telling him. If they told them to meditate for a day; that would be more convincing.
    What i'm trying to tell is that training seems a bit easy for the master and for the padawan also; don't you think? Except from lectures and great sayings, not much is done on-screen or totally that might seem like a specific training method.
    Basically, what is the main concept of Jedi Training?The masters tell their students to reach out to their feelings, and feel the force, and every padawan ends up practicing telekinesis, telepathy things like that...
    If this was easy like this, I think the force-sensitive would have figured on their own...An example (from outside Star WarS) most of us remember the X-men and Spiderman cartoons not from long ago; remember when many heroes accidently use their powers starting from their birth?Like the guy who can freeze everything freezes something small at first, than grows in his abilities...

Waiting for your ideas

2. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I think Jedi training would be alot harder then what we see in the movies. I mean it may look like nothing but Im sure it takes alot of effort and years of training to lift an X-Wing out of the swamp. Luke takes 3 shots to lift his light saber out of the ice. Saying things like "clear your mind of though" and "Stretch out with your feelings" sound like easy things to say, but Im sure it is alot harder. I am also willing to say that Luke can learn quicker than a youngling because of his age. He can understand things and pick it up quicker than a 10 year old can. Anakin is a special case because he is the chosen one. He used the Force to race pods without realising it, but I'm sure without training he wouldn't have learnt how to choke people via the Force, or shoot lightning out of his fingers.

3. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I have a feeling that training in the force is somewhat of a process of self discovery. While a master can show a padawan the path, only he can walk it. Also, there are obviously different sets of belief within the the Jedi Order (the living force, and the unified force).

Another thought supporting this self discovery is the way Qui-Gon describes midichlorians to Anakin, saying that "when you learn to quiet your mind, you'll be able to hear the force too", or something like that. Therefore, the master probably gives some basic training and applications of power but it's really how "in-tune" with the force the padawan is that determines what he can do.

Just my thoughts.

4. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I agree, training to become a Jedi seems to be more of a mental thing rather than a physical thing.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    You must recall that Luke has immense innate talent. He can naturally grasp things that would take the average Padawan months or even years to master.

Case in point, according the the SW Insider article on lightsaber fighting Forms, Luke actually mastered Form V "on the fly" while fighting Vader in ESB & RotJ. It stated that an observing Jedi Master would be astounded by the ease with which Luke picked up on things.

6. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Here is my take on the situation:

Younglings are taught more ABOUT the Force, rather than how to use it. They begin to understand the virtues and aspects of the Jedi through history teachings, oral lessons on embraced concepts, and beginning level introduction experiences in being able to use the Force as one's ally and aid to help others.

They are grouped, according to their skills (i.e. those who are more profiecent in mental use of the Force go into one group, while lightsaber and physical Force go into another, etc.). These make up certain youngling "clans", in which are trained in sync with their abilities and at an individual pace.

After they become a bit older they begin to get more in-depth with their training in how to use the Force and how the Jedi are to utilize it as a facet and a colleague in many matters. Depending on their grouping, they may recieve training lightsabers and begin to use the Force in order to control and protect while operating such a "weapon".

A Padawan, defined as a young Jedi-in-training which has been taken on by a Master, is trained in a very different number of things, all (again) according to the idividual's abilities and natural skills in certain areas.

They area all trained in basic lightsaber combat and defense, although if they are a Padawan showing excellence at this level then the Master may improve upon these skills by training more vigorously and/or by new techniques and lessons. Many who become Jedi Knights that are experts in combat and protection come out of this sort of training.

Many are trained in basic healing procedures although, once again, this is based on the beings traits in these genres.

All Padawans are taught about discussion and oral problem solving, as well as peaceful resolution and quick thinking. This is all aided by regular assignments in Force-use.

Pretty much a Padawan's entire experience in training is based upon political and social event, Jedi Council matters, their Master's synopsis of what is in the best interest of all, and their own abilities in certain areas.

Of course, after becoming a Jedi Knight (after completing training with a Master and finishing the Trials), there is still many opportunities as a student within the Jedi Temple. Their are Majors to be taken in areas of expertise from mechanical engineering, spaceflight, communications, healing and advice, social interaction, political science, and much more- all pertaining to what is chosen and who has chosen it.

Yet a Jedi's path in training is never complete- their is always more to learn and more to learn from. Always in motion, the future is- and so it affects the way of the learning Jedi.

This filters into how Luke compares in training-

Because he was so "old" (in comparision to regular Jedi candidates), he had a shorter time in which to learn and manipulate the strength and aid of the Force.

My take on how he was trained stems from the idea that younglings begin at an interductory phase and then move on as Padawans to get a more "hands-on" type of learning experience.

Luke, however, didn't have the essence of time in this genre- he had to be close to fully-trained and ready in a matter of only a few years.

I'm sure that, should Luke have wanted to be trained as a Jedi back in the days of the Old Republic, they would have laughed in his face. I mean, take a look at how apprehensive they were to train Anakin, and he was quite younger than Luke was during the events of the OT.

As a matter of fact, remember how Yoda was reluctant to train Luke on Dagobah? Only until Obi-Wan had convinced him of the emergency at hand (the Emperor's might) did he even consider taking him "under his wing".

So this is how I thought it went, chronologically:

1.) Luke learned OF the Force with Obi-Wan, experiencing everything from seeing mindtricks to witnessing lightsaber combat. This completes what a Youngling would learn until about the age of 10 or 11 (speculating, of course, consid

7. The_Anakin_Wannabe

Jan 21, 2003
    My god. You have too much time on your hands :p. That was a very good post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.