main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    I like the second half of the article where it's drawing comparisons to other movies and showing the influence, the first half is basically what I already knew would happen 3 years ago. Extreme OT fan ****ing in every conceivable way that'll work for the fans of those and basically piss off everyone who doesn't like or care about that section of SW or wanted something new.

Cryogenic and Sab Jo like this.
  2. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    A bit harsh, but probably true from everything we've seen so far. But it doesn't stop me from being extremely excited and this is actually the first movie in my life that I'll be seeing on day one.

I still prefer to discuss the upcoming movie here, because most of us are fans of all the existing films. I really can't stress this enough.

3. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
  4. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Can't wait for the "The Fandom Strikes Back"...

Cryogenic, Sab Jo, jimkenobi and 5 others like this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    This contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation.

6. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    Yes yes - there is nothing like settling down in anticipation for those huge yellow letters bouncing into your eyes with the blare of the opening fanfare. I took someone to see a Star Wars film for the first time and she nearly jumped out of her seat ! It still gets me after all these years. I presume they haven't dropped the classic opening.

Being at Christmas though I'm slightly worried by just how packed it will be - especially the kids. During one viewing of TPM I had one youngster who everytime Jar Jar appeared, he got so excited he would kick the back of my seat. What could I do - be a grumpy old adult?

But yeah forums are forums - a place to discuss and moan - but everything for me just melts away as soon as ' A long time ago..' appears.

It has to be that way - other wise I wouldn't have enjoyed the prequels.

Cryogenic, earlchinna, Sab Jo and 3 others like this.
  7. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

I think that's occurring right now on this thread!:p

Cryogenic, Sab Jo, Pensivia and 5 others like this.
  8. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Darkslayer and Darth Downunder like this.
  9. redinight

redinight Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 15, 2001
    As a huge fan of TPM, George Lucas and his companies, I was cautiously optimistic about the future of Star Wars. Knowing that he was not inluded in the new film, as planned, now I'm just cautious. The deal went south. Disney made CVI a waste of time and money. I see nothing good for the future of Star Wars.

I was hoping as soon as the era of a new film every year was announced that JJ was not a consideration. That didn't last long. Watching the recent Lucas interviews just makes me disgusted.

The movie rips off everything. It appears to be a remake, and it seems to be a restart at the same time. Like the pointless CVI, what's the point of ROTJ?

10. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Lets wait for the movie to be released before we make those claims. We shouldnt judge something we havent seen.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. redinight

redinight Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 15, 2001
    I don't need to wait.
    1. I don't like anything JJ has done.
    2. The trailers don't excite me.
    3. These are glorified fan films from now on.

MagnaZero, ThisHurricane and ekrolo2 like this.
  12. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014

I'm glad someones getting excited lol, personally I'm not even sure I'll go see it at the theater at all. Everything making me groan about it is just getting worse and worse I might just stick my head in the sand for the inevitable hype backlash and just move on to things like Hateful Eight, Deadpool or BvS.

13. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Just remember, people make decisions on whether they think they are going to like a movie, even before seeing it, all the time. everyday, every week, every month etc etc

That's why movies flop at the box office. If everyone waited to actually see a movie before making a judgement, than every single movie released would do billions of dollars.

People know what they like, they know what interests them. If they see things in the marketing, in the footage, in the interviews that they don't like, than they know, what they know.

Cryogenic, Sab Jo and Darth Nerdling like this.
  14. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I'm going into the theater with the mindset that I'll be seeing a big-budget fan film. I think that's the best way to do it - I'm ready for it to be bad. If it is, I'll move on. It it isn't, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

15. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    I just read that referenced article about the weaponized marketing and after seeing all the stills from TFA....i will tell you this (and I REALLY, REALLY hope I am wrong here)

If that picture of the knights of ren is on Endor while Kylo is searching for Vaders mask....and those are dead Ewoks littering the ground....along with Abrams admitting in an earlier article that he is considering putting the bones of Jar Jar Binks somewhere in a shot of the desert...that would be all the proof anyone would need to see his true disdain and disrespect for two thirds of a 6 movie saga and GL specifically.

Sab Jo likes this.
  16. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Pretty sure JJ was joking about JJ's bones.

17. TheDutchman

TheDutchman Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2015
    And I'm not so sure he was

Sab Jo and Darth Downunder like this.
  18. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Guess we'll find out on the 18th!
    :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Ahh that old chestnut. Not reading someone's post properly, spinning your own interpretation of it & then replying to your re-imagined argument. I clearly said that 90% of PT fans here don't only offer whining & negativity. So why would I be deterred when 90% of posters here are completely reasonable & enjoyable to converse with? Even if many do have fair & reasonable concerns about the movie.
    You're misinformed. I've spent far more time discussing what I like about the PT than what I don't like. I've been here since mid 2001. I signed up bcs I was excited about AotC & I spent the next 5 years straight almost only posting in the PT forums - as a PT fan. If I had to guess I'd say over 14 years I've spent 80% of my time discussing the PT with the vast majority of those posts being positive. I have a far longer history of PT fandom in PT forums than most people here, including the few who are trying to tell me I have no place posting here. So...you think I'm a troll? I don't care. I've had too much positive feedback from other PT fans here to buy that.
    Ignore what? If a very small minority want to constantly complain about TFA here then that's fine. At times I'm quite happy to engage in debates about these things, as you've noticed. Don't pretend though that your view about this movie is the norm here. That it's you & people of the same thinking on one side & then it's me & a couple of others who "stalk" this thread like weirdos. In fact the members here like yourself who only post complaints about TFA are the tiny minority. If it were nearly everyone I wouldn't spend time here. That's not the case. Fact is I've had alot of PT fans here tell me they've appreciated my thoughts on the movie, my discussions of various plot points, insights into behind the scenes matters etc etc. That to them I've helped debunk the idea that Lucasfilm/Disney/Abrams hate the PT. That feedback has been via this thread & PMs. So trying to lob yourself & the small handful of your like-minded fans broadly as the "PT fans" or as the typical members in this thread is wrong.
    True but in a Star Wars fan forum you'd expect fans to have a "glass half full" mindset towards the first SW movie in a decade. Before they see it at least. That's what happened in the build up to the Prequels & that's what's happening now. It's why most people across these forums are counting the days to see this film. If you're not of that thinking there's nothing wrong with that, but don't be surprised that most people think differently. In a SW fan forum.
    Or trolling JarJar haters.
    The color of the flags is subjective. Not many people see them as red right now. Green all the way baby!
    Oustanding. You don't bother going back & seeing a movie another two times if it's crap or a dull rehash. Guess Steve didn't spot any red flags :)

Palp Fiction and Artoo-Dion like this.
  20. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    It's funny that we are not allowed to express any negativity towards TFA before seeing it but in other places folks are already treating it like JJ is a Chosen One who will bring the balance to the saga by erasing half of GL's achievement from existence. Double standards, anyone?

I've said what I'm looking to in TFA. The old cast is back. A female protagonist is new and Daisy seems solid. The CGI looks good ;) I'm sure John Williams will come up with some great new music.

At the same time, i've read spoilers and based on them and the existing footage I feel it's going to be at least 50% rehash of the first two SW movies (aka the only good ones in a lot of fanboys opinion). I don't like JJ's big screen work. ST 09 was a totally inappropriate rehash of ANH. And now he's doing the same to Star Wars. He also seems two-faced. For every quote where he says something generically nice about Lucas you can find two more about practical effects or dismissing the amazing effortless gone into the duels and other highlights in the PT. He had Pegg as a consultant.

I'm also not happy with Disney. Scrapping GL's treatment. Cancelling TCW and 3D releases. JJ Abrams is meh and Trevorrow is a downright bad choice. The spinoffs are not exciting and only clutter the franchise by making each SW movie less special. So far only Johnson looks promising but I doubt he'll have a lot of creative freedom.

I'm sure TFA will be a well received entertaining flick that won't have easy targets like Jar Jar or over the top romantic dialogue. But it also won't take any significant risks in order to expand the universe visually and thematically. Every SW movie developed the existing elements and added something new and interesting to the table. It got my imagination going like no other modern mainstream franchise. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see this with TFA. It's a corporate product made by a fanboy for fanboys. Again, it will be polished and pretty, but It's just not enough for a fan like me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

MagnaZero, Cryogenic, Sab Jo and 3 others like this.
  21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    DD, why don't you just ignore or report that 10% rather than responding to them and risk derailing the thread?

Jedi Knight Fett and Slicer87 like this.
  22. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Report them for what? They can moan about TFA till the cows come home. I've never said they shouldn't be allowed to. I was simply curious about what they get out of it. Didn't realise it was a crime to ask that question.
    The only thing that derails the thread is not talking about content. Which is specifically what this thread is for.
    Kasdan is merely a fanboy! :oops: Can I ask then who besides Lucas is not just a fanboy?

TX-20, Sab Jo and Artoo-Dion like this.
  23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Once? Sure, reasonable question to ask. Maybe even two or three times. But after that, I've learned that some people can't or won't have a rational conversation about things like the PT or in your case, the ST. Best not to make too big deal about it and let Heels deal with it IMO
    I know, I did create the thread after all :p

24. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    For what it's worth Darth Downunder I have enjoyed most of your spirited rejoinders since to be fair you tended to make an effort to back them up.
    Plus - personally I don't care who says what when and where in forums as long as they are genuinely putting the effort in!

Sometimes I think though you have let your guard down with snark every now and then, and over generalisations, but again for me personally as long as they are coming from someone making an effort elsewhere I find them good 'motivators' !

I suppose my only gripe is that although this thread started as the title suggested, it soon changed track when the marketing started. Unfotunately from then on in became about the negative marketing that in a nutshell - was as far as was possible without being explicitly rude, about positioning itself from the point of view of that portion of the fanbase that intensly disliked the prequels and wanted a return to ... well whatever they think is 'real' Star Wars.

Unfortunately baked into this, because Lucas spent ten years and millions of pounds on his films, would be a certain amount of implicit anti-Lucas sentiment, and becaause of the well known vitriol of the dissapointed ones a perception that they were siding with the more hateful voices.

So much has piled up since JJ's 'bones of Jar Jar remark' that as I mentioned many pages back the case for this having occured seams to be uncontroversial now, yet you have never relented in you view that this was just finding things were none existed, and as much as I admired your compilation of JJ's best bits I find myself unfortunately having to work out the disconnect between these remarks and what has turned out, rather than take anyone at thier word.

To quickly steer away from what might become personal accusations it's obviously the case that the blame for the group media hate - Empire, SFX magazine, blogs etc and geek leaders big mouths can't be laid at Disney s door - but do you still think, individuals aside, that the perceived promotional 'atmosphere' being explicitly anti prequel and therefore to an extent obviously anti Lucas was or is largely a mirage?

Sab Jo, Pensivia and Darth Downunder like this.
  25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I believe I've only twice asked why the people who are completely down on the film spend time on it, & I posed that question to one particular member (who has declared he won't even be seeing it) one other time. I won't ask again since it seems to be an unspeakable outrage of a question!

Nothing for Heels to concern himself with IMO. No one had transgressed even by constantly complaining. All opinions should be free to be aired....but also countered & disagreed with.
    I'll admit to that :p
    No it's not a mirage at all. It's plain to see. We just need to read the majority of SW articles to find a swipe at the Prequels. The reasons for this however are complicated & go back 15 years. The TFA marketing had very little affect on this IMO. You could even argue that if LFL & Abrams went out of their way to include the PT in their marketing push there'd be even more unfair vitriol towards the Prequels as a backlash. Disney inherited the mixed feelings about the PT. They had nothing to do with the creation of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.