main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A Thread For Prequel Fans To Discuss New Star Wars Content (spoiler tags required)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Unfortunately that is exactly what I imagine too. The first sentence will be something like, "Rememeber those terrible prequels? No? Well you don't have to!..." I'm just preparing myself for the disheartening moment when it, inevitably, comes.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Bizarre, isn't it? Personally I stepped out of the VII forum when I thought the praise and hype were hitting ridiculous levels. One of my final straws was a post that claimed a candid shot of the TFA cast at a publicity event vs. a photo of in-character Portman and Christensen in their battle poses from AOTC was sure proof that TFA already has more "chemistry" among the cast. That and other things there were my cue to exit the TFA forum, but fair enough if that type of praise (not to mention the unrelenting prequel snark) is how some people do things over there. You won't see me trying to "convert" them to one way of thinking.

3. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015

Lol. Jeez that's a ridiculous thing to say. I won't lie, I am hyped for the film but wow......whoever said that sounds like they're diluting themselves to think this is going to be the best thing Star Wars released since 1983. I'm trying my best to remain optimistic but I can't lie when I say there is a feeling that is missing that I had when ROTS dropped 10 years ago.

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes a corporation owned by one of the greatest film-makers of all time who wanted to make movies he wanted to see that also happened to thrill 10's of millions.

Now it's owned by a corporation who want to make movies based on his movies to sell them to those same people. Selling the movies is the ultimate goal based on a pattern they think will sell.

There is no one there who wants to make movies that they want to see only what they want to sell. I don't blame said corporation for this. That is what they do. They can't do the former. It's beyond their abilities to achieve or even contemplate.

I think a bunch of reviews have already been written. Now they just have to see the movie!!

The thing that must really bother those kind of fans is that no matter how hard they try that the prequels just keep being watched over and over and over again by new fans who don't have any conception of what their problem is.

5. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Is anyone else upset that even whenever they talk about OT , it seems that they only mention ANH and ESB ? Where's ROTJ ? Doesn't it exist anymore ?

MagnaZero, CIS Droid, S2N2 and 11 others like this.
  6. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    That annoys me too.

ROTJ doesn't get the credit it deserves, sadly

I still wonder though about that picture with George JJ and KK way back in Celebration Germany. At the time, the picture gave me hope-Now It makes me wonder as to how this whole thing went down.

Whomever decided to dump George's treatments should stand in shame for being so clueless. Tragedy doesn't even describe how this all ended, not only for George, but for his vision of Star Wars.

7. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    It doesn't. After the promised return of the Jedi as a group the Force, apparently, has been asleep for 30 years. That's one of the reasons why I think TFA will retcon most of ROTJ

8. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    If this is true, then, ANOTHER reason to not watch TFA!!

9. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

The critics have become so predictable these days... :p

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I think those critics that aren't fanboys will probably mention the nostalgic exploitation but I feel they're going to be in minority

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

11. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Critics sometimes are just so biased in their views. Some of them have been overly critical against George Lucas and nitpicking the prequels saying such things as "in this movie, none of the laws of gravity are respected when the Jedi are fighting!" (Mark Kermode in this case here), that no other movies could survive such dissecting and examination frame by frame.

And I'm sure that for TFA, none of the critics will do such a thing as they did with the PT.

CIS Droid, S2N2, Sab Jo and 9 others like this.
  12. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Powerful wizards can move objects with their hands and critics are worried about logical explainations in a SPACE FANTASY franchise. Yeesh, I'd hate every movie if I looked at it from that angle.

13. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    [quote="Artoo-Dion, post: 52911584, member: 1353765"
    "Corporate mandated fan fiction for haterz!!!1" is just the sound of overly-invested PT fans having a whinge because they aren't getting more of the same. Not everyone here is saying that, but the ones that are... Time to move on, fellas.[/quote]

I wish you wouldn't bring back the PT / OT thing which was never the topic of this thread and has only been derailed into that because of the people who don't like the PT barreling over here to put the boot in.

Most people here like all six films and actually see the cheap use of the OT as much a cause for concern as anything else.
    I watched Empire last night and was struck - as you pointed out - by the absolute no compromise attitude that this would not be Star Wars 2. It is incredibly bold how much of a clean slate it is. I'm afraid to say the same can be said of the prequels - how ever much you may dislike them you can't argue against Lucas deciding he wasn't going to simply 'delight' people - being a vision unencumbered by some need to appeal to sociological factors.

So that is actually my beef. Stuff the prequels then, forget they were ever made. But I still don't want a Star Wars film that is built on self-referential nostalgia.

Now there is no need to come back about Lucas and his 'poetry' - that is a totally different thing. That was him developing his work for his particular needs. The poetry was never about 'hey maybe i can play safe with nostalgia'.

Unfortunately we live in a culture largely devoid of new ideas - largely devoid of visionaries like Lucas. Music is retro. Films are all reboots or tired sequels or strangely given their failure - prequels. We are in a period of constant recycling and misty eyed rose tinted backward glances and where 'big directors' hope to gain fame on the back of a franchise rather than creating their own.

Hence it looks like '77 in toy shops, not 2015.

I think the film will be pretty good - you would have to be pretty inept to fail given all those toys - but at the same time it has lost something for the first time I have been seeing these films since '77 - that sense of "what crazy stuff now?"

I'm sorry you didn't like the last three installments, but for me they felt the same as the first three in that they were 'futuristic' - they pushed technology to the max - they felt like films from the year 2000.

Who knew nobody wanted that - ? Puppets please, models and paintings. Ah - you can't beat the crackle of vinyl or the hiss of cassettes from thrift stores.

The spirit of the OT was to blow everyone else out of the water with eye-popping sh$t you have never seen before. Point to some of that in the trailers.

14. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Here's a little conversation I thought up. I imagined what the last conversation between JJ and George was like when George had had enough of it all after realizing they were taking TFA in a radical new direction and not using his ideas.

GL: "JJ, I just wish you'd reconsider and use these ideas for the development of my characters. They're dear to me, and I care what happens to them."
    JJ: "I love your ideas, George."
    GL: "You keep saying that, but you're not using my ideas!"
    JJ: "Of course we are!"
    GL: "What are you talking about? You shredded my treatment, then threw it in the garbage, then urinated in it. That certainly gives the impression you don't like my ideas."
    JJ: "You're taking that the wrong way. We do love your ideas, George -- just your old ideas."
    GL: "But there are already Star Wars films based on those ideas!"
    JJ: "I know! Their originality is what inspired me to be a filmmaker! That's why I want to make a Star Wars film just like it. "
    GL: "But we have a chance to be original once again with these films!"
    JJ: "Why would want to be original in a new way when I can I be original in the exact same way that you were?"
    GL: "Honestly, JJ, I don't think you understand what the word original means."
    JJ: "Would you get off my case, George!? I already remade ANH once with my 2009 Trek. Now I get a chance to remake it again. I'm really starting to get the hang of it. You should take it as a compliment that I keep remaking your film."
    GL: "Okay, I'm outta here."

15. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Wow, you could've fooled me, thejeditraitor! Wasn't trying to insult you by the way on that music comment.
    Upset? Yes. Surprised? Nope.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just recently loaned a friend my Star Wars Blu-Rays because he'd never seen the prequels before. Unfortunately, he didn't like them (though I think this was due to him looking up reviews of the prequels a few months after watching the originals and getting a bit too biased). He claimed that he fell asleep during The Phantom Menace which is a complaint I'll never understand, and said that Revenge of the Sith was "meh" but that it was the best of the trilogy.

Thankfully, he won't be going on a 16 year long crusade, trying to get people to hate the films and complaining about them every time I bring up Star Wars.

I'm not going to do that with The Force Awakens either. I may comment on it every once and a while but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't exist or create stupid names like Abram$. Just because I post a few comments where I talk about my concern on the marketing, the un-originality, or the plot doesn't mean I'm "exactly like those PT haters, whether I like it or not." It's completely different.

CIS Droid, S2N2, Sab Jo and 4 others like this.
  16. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

[​IMG]

MagnaZero, S2N2, Sab Jo and 6 others like this.
  17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ironically, my 4 favorite Star Wars movies have been almost completely ignored in the marketing.

18. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Because apparently ANH and TESB are the only "good ones" to come out of this franchise. :rolleyes:

19. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I loved SeventySeven (s) post so much the first time, I am feeling Nostalgic for it. So I am going to "Abrams" it, and rehash...

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    A text I got from my brother in response to Abrams's backhanded slap at ROTJ: "Wow he's gonna make a mess of the new movie."

Unfortunately this is not the first time I have heard a response like this regarding Disney's handling of Star Wars.

I don't know what Disney is playing at. It's clear the hard-core fans are not the only ones concerned.

21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    What has Abrams said about ROTJ? I seem to have missed this?

22. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Yes, same here. What did he say?

23. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Something about only the duels on ANH and TESB being emotional.

CIS Droid, Sab Jo, Davak24 and 2 others like this.
  24. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    That's not what he said. That's how some people are interpreting what he said.

25. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    We can read between the lines

S2N2, Sab Jo, Davak24 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.