main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Abrams should direct the entire ST.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jcuk, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    The thing about Kirsh is that he was that below average baseball player that just so happened to hit a homerun at the right time.

You will never see movies like Robocop 2 and that 007 movie that didn't fit in with any of the others on the resumes of the 3 guys I mentioned in my above post.

2. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    I'd argue the opposite. Whedon's films leave a little to be desired visually for me, but it's the dialogue and performances that usually win me over. I just think he did a good job of bringing several elements together with the Avengers, and think he could apply that to the end of the ST, especially since the third movie in a trilogy often seems difficult to nail.

But I also agree there are more interesting choices for Ep IX... Edgar Wright, Alfonso Cuaron, Christopher Nolan. If they're going for newer blood... Joe Cornish, Matt Reeves, Drew Goddard.

3. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    True enough. I don't actually have anything against the guy really but he hasn't really proven a propensity for crafting stories like Star Wars (and no, Firefly was not like Star Wars). Also, as you pointed out, he seems to not even understand why ESB was unique and I don't know if his goofy, melodramatic style is right for Star Wars either.

TKT and Luukeskywalker like this.
  4. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I agree about Johnson being a great choice for the darker, middle episode, but as for Whedon... have you seen Firefly?
    Pretty much everything I've wanted from Star Wars. Whedon does tight-knit groups and memorable banter like no one else today. The Marvel stuff is not his usual output and the fact that he managed to elevate typical superhero "fluff" into a consistent world that's made the hardcore fans happy while grabbing general audiences in huge numbers is impressive enough on its own.

As for him not liking Empire, that's not really true. He loves the movie, but thinks the cliffhanger ending was irritating ("A film should be complete unto itself"). I disagree, but that wouldn't be an issue for him directing Episode 9.

Wait, how was Firefly not like Star Wars? It's plenty original, but much of the setting and tone are love letters to the OT.

I'd argue he's a tremendously versatile director. He's knocked it out of the park with sci-fi, "superhero fluff" summer blockbusters, artsy Shakespeare adaptions and even musicals.

5. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Actually, I was not overly impressed with Avengers. Firefly was a not so successful TV show, so I am not sure that would be the thing that Disney and Kathy would look at on his resume and say, "we gotta get the guy that did THAT show!"

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It wasn't a successful show because it was on FOX, a network known for being trigger happy cancelling shows and piss poor at scheduling shows.

Abadacus likes this.
  7. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Especially SciFi shows. I liked Space Above and Beyond, and that too was cut down pretty fast.

Whedon would probably have been the guy to go to if they'd wanted to make Rebels a live action series. It certainly would be up his alley.

Abadacus likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    He does have an interest in doing something with the franchise, but it might not be for Episode IX if he's not doing a third Avengers film. If he's not doing that one, he might want to take a break and work on something smaller and less taxing.

9. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    That's why he did Much Ado About Nothing after the Avengers. He seems to enjoy doing big action-packed blockbusters, but it is a stressful job that he was hired to do to the best of his ability, more than a labor of love.
    It looks his next break from Hollywood might be during the production of 8, leaving him free to return and do 9. He's already working for he mouse house, and given that he's beloved by legions of geeks and a massive Star Wars geek himself, I'd have a hard time believing it hasn't been discussed.
    That being said I'd be happiest to hear he's doing a live-action show. Ideally X-Wing related. Bantery ensemble television is undeniably his forte, and if anyone could make Allston's brand of humor work onscreen, it would be him.

10. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Joss Whedon produces - STAR WARS: X-wing.

[​IMG]

EviL_eLF, Hoggsquattle and Abadacus like this.
  11. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

I was talking about JJ.

Abadacus likes this.
  12. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    I'll take david fincher directing episode IX think he could do some unique things with the GFFA

Darth PJ likes this.
  13. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    I'd love to see Nolan do a SW movie, but not a numeric SW movie. His style wouldn't fit the ongoing saga. Maybe a spinoff.

Jcuk and EviL_eLF like this.
  14. Vohnkar

Vohnkar Jedi Grand Master

Apr 1, 2002
    I vote for Brad Bird for Episode IX. Related to Abrams but I hope willing to live abroad. He even was offered VII, so...

15. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Rian Johnson is a better director than Abrams. I'm delighted he's getting the chance to show what he can do.

Abadacus likes this.
  16. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Gary Shore for Episode IX.

Or Spinoff number 3.

17. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    JJ's wasnt exactly my first, or second, choice but I agree that too many chefs in the kitchen isn't a good thing so he should helm the entire trilogy.
    The smart thing to do, IMO, would've been to wait until EP VII came out then decide if JJ stays or not based on the merits of the finished product.

If I had it my way, Kershner would be directing the entire second trilogy.

18. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    There was no need to wait to see how that turned out - by all accounts Abrams was never doing the whole trilogy, whether that was an option or not.

Really? If you had such a power, that is what you'd do with it?[face_skull]

19. Kraven Head

Nov 5, 2012

No, first I'd use the force to predict the next powerball winning combination, then I'd hire Kersher as director.

Cheers, K

PS- And since am a nice guy, I'd also pay off your mortgage and send you to Disney World.

20. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    Whoaaaa. Firefly is plenty original? Go watch Cowboy Bebop. That's something we need a live action of.

21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I'd prefer Disneyland, but thanks anyway :p

Maybe you missed the point I was getting at.. raising the dead and such?[face_hypnotized]

22. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I'll see ANY movie Nolan's name is attached to!

23. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

When was this revealed?

He is good, but his past work does not show a sense of fun necessary for Star Wars.

24. Vohnkar

Vohnkar Jedi Grand Master

Apr 1, 2002
    http://www.latino-review.com/news/b...osing-tomorrowland-over-star-wars-episode-vii

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  25. Kraven Head

Nov 5, 2012
    Whoa...I just looked it up, I was totally not aware! Thanks for the clarification.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.