main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abuse of Power by an Administrator - I Have Been Demoted

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lord Bane, Dec 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    I applaud the JC mods for being willing to have as open a discussion as is possible about this.

However, I have to question if Carter, and by extention the staff of TFN, have thought this through.
    They are admins mostly by courtesy. Their active contribution to this board is a matter of personal preference. To be blunt, they are not neccesary.

And now we have the Staff's highest representiive in the mod squad removing mods for the sin of opinion. I would question if Josh and Scott really want their ambassedor to the JC to be such a, if I may us the phrase, dilettantish CENSORED.

We may not always agree with the JC mods but, at the very least, they were once regular members.

And damn it they're Our mods!

Edit: Please watch the langauge. Comms or otherwise, that was a mild flame.

2. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Axl - Carter jumped on this. He did not discuss this with the mod squad before taking action.

3. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Edit-- Never mind if the Leadership Council dosent exist any longer.

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    *Rodney King stutter* C-c-can't we all just get along?

5. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Thank goodness this has been re-opened. I am appalled. I saw alot of Carter acting like a jerk in the YJCC banner fiasco, his untimely demotion of SotS, but this is the limit. Lord Bane is one of the fairest, nicest, most level-headed people on these boards, mod, admin, or otherwise. This blatant and disgusting abuse of power is beyond belief. Carter needs to get off his high horse and start following the rules. I'm sick of him acting like he owns the JC and can do whatever he wants with it and the people on it.

Ban me if you want. I'm behind Lord Bane 100% on this. And I am sickened at any and all mods who are trying to cover up for him by editing the threads he's locked and saying they've locked them.

6. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    edit--now this makes no sense thanks to deleted messages

7. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    Ariana, we tend not to ban people for disagreeing with us. ;)

edit: I don't speak English, apparently...

8. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, since I wasn't around for this, I didn't have much say in what happened, but from seeing it on a non-Mod point (since I've not had access to the Mod Squad or any other private forum), this has been total hell from that point of view. The administration right now looks like a whole bunch of chickens with their head cut off, and that's a shame.

After seeing the inside of this, I don't stand behind Carter's demotion of Bane.

Everyone, calm down now.
    There's no need for a mass hush and rush because of this. Let's civily discuss our opinions and thoughts on the matter. Just squabling will get this discussion no where.

Thank you.

9. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I'm really appaled that these poster are resorting to socks, you wanna talk, talk with your main name. Don't be a coward. We'll listen to what you say if you come out and say it if you don't use socks.

Liz: I understand that he made the decision on his own, but just because he represents tfn he has unlimited power?

Axl.

10. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    We don't allow flames and threats to be made other JC users and we certainly don't condone that kind of behavior amongst the administration.

11. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    Some do, Liz. Some do.

12. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    First and foremost, no more mentioning about posting with socks, as it is off topic. Continuing to do so after this post will result in a ban. We're discussing the issue at hand that Bane pointed out in the first post.

Thank you.

13. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    we tend not to ban people who disagree with us.

[face_laugh]

thanks for injecting a much-needed dose of humor here..

uh,you were trying to be funny, right?

14. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    What the heck is with G12's edit in Salty's thread?

15. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    I am ashamed that Carter-TFN "represents" the JCC, since, personally, he is not who I would want representing me.

16. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    So, let me get this straight. If I tell somebody they've been acting like an ass, that's a flame? I really hope not.

17. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    And finally, to help attain the issue at hand, if you post an off topic post after this, you'll be banned.
    We're discussing Lord Bane's demotion and such. Not the state of the JC. If you can't make it relate to the original topic here, don't post or face a ban.

The topics at hand are:
      1. I am calling for an inquiry into my demotion.

2. I am calling for an inquiry into Carter-TFN's continued status as an administrator at the JC.

3. I am calling for a public record to be made of Moderator Punishment Protocol.

And again, thank you.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    First and foremost, no more mentioning about posting with socks, as it is off topic. Continuing to do so after this post will result in a ban. We're discussing the issue at hand that Bane pointed out in the first post.

Okay, to sum up the issues (minus socks), here's what I got as the main discussion points:

1) Can Mods, Admins or TF.n Staff unilaterally decide Mod (or other) punishments?
    2) What is the procedure for Mod punishment (either for MS behavior or for abuse of power on the JC)?
    3) I think there was something about a Mod AC, but since it has been disbanded there is no more issue (Vert reigns supreme?)

I think that sums up, right?

19. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    "You should've been banned months ago for your attempted coup of the JCC forum..."

There was no attempted coup of the JCC. That's sensationalism, hyperbole and I would appreciate it if you used less of those yellow journalist shock tactics and more fact.

To clear the air, in November, I began to solicit opinions on a potential second reform of the JCC. It was very radical proposal, but I had no set manifesto. I wanted to see if people - some mods, some JCC longtimers, a few new comers - thought my ideas had merit or if they didn't, what could be done to improve them. I did not want to propose the idea to the public until I had solid plans set down and feedback, but it was leaked earlier, no one's fault. I shouldn't have been so secretive, but then again, I wanted it to be developed before public proposal. It most certainly wasn't a coup.

20. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    3. I am calling for a public record to be made of Moderator Punishment Protocol.

If regular user punishment protocol is made public, I see no reason whatsoever why mod punishment protocol is not similarly posted.

21. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I was going to make a post in the AC regarding this matter after I saw that the three threads here in Communications had been closed. The following is the message I drafted, but never posted, as I saw that this thread had been reopened.

Can we get some clarification on this? I personally think that this was a valid issue to bring up in public, so I didn't waste time bringing it up here. But seeing as the three threads have been closed ( :|), we need to discuss the matter here, unfortunately, instead of out in the open, where it should be.

As far as I understand it, [b]Lord Bane[/b] was demoted for telling [b]Carter[/b] to shut up in Mod Squad, and then he was banned for "threatening" [b]Carter[/b] via PM, even though Bane states that in the PM he made it clear that he was making his intentions known and that it was indeed not a threat. I'd like to have clarification on [b]Bane[/b]'s flame. Is it indeed the "shut up," or was there something else? [b]DA[/b]'s posts are sort of nebulous.

1. From the facts I gather, [b]Carter[/b] does not have the power to ban Lord Bane. The ability to unilaterally demote moderators and managers is reserved solely for [b]Vertical[/b] and [b]Josh[/b]. (Unless, of course, the situation is an extreme one - for example, blatant, incessant flaming of members in the forums by a mod over a span of a few minutes, a trolling spree if you will - and telling another moderator to shut up in a private forum hardly qualifies as such an extreme case.) This is indeed an abuse of power.

2. [b]Carter[/b] had no right to bane [b]Lord Ban[/b] in the "threatening" PM. [b]Bane[/b] was only telling him that the issue was going to be brought up in public. This is hardly a crime. Ironically, I've sent a similar PM to [b]Bane[/b] before, letting him know I was going to bring an issue up publically. Why somebody wouldn't be gratful for this forewarning is beyond me.

3. [b]Carter[/b] shouldn't have closed the thread in Communications. Several valid points were brought up by [b]Bane[/b] and those supporting him. There were many good things that could have come from the discussion in that thread.

I think [b]Carter[/b]'s batting 1.000 here tonight, folks. More issues to come once we've covered these more pressing matters.[hr]

I'm less concerned about point (3) now that this has been opened, but it should not have been closed in the first place. (But thanks for opening it up again.) All my other points stand.

22. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Vert reigns supreme except when he's on vacation and then chaos reigns.

The sky is falling the sky is falling!

23. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    ) Can Mods, Admins or TF.n Staff unilaterally decide Mod (or other) punishments?

no, they aren't supposed to. Josh can, it's his board. Vert, b/c he's supreme chancellor. There used to be a leadership council, but it seems to have disolved. Usually, things are done by concensus.

2) What is the procedure for Mod punishment (either for MS behavior or for abuse of power on the JC)?

usually a thread is made on it in the mod squad, the offence is discussed, and punishment is agreed upon. This can take anywhere from a few days to a week, though it shouldn't take more than a couple of days.

3) I think there was something about a Mod AC, but since it has been disbanded there is no more issue (Vert reigns supreme?)

I don't know what you mean. A mod advisory council?

24. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    citizen-tom...
    "What the heck is with G12's edit in Salty's thread?"

I locked the thread for several reasons:
    1. A thread with the exact same name existed already. There's no need to spam Comms with multiple threads of the same title.
    2. The previous thread with the same name was locked. If you have more to say, contact the mod who locked the original thread to reopen.
    3. The thread I locked had no point.

25. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    I am ashamed that Carter-TFN "represents" the JCC, since, personally, he is not who I would want representing me.

no one is forcing you to stay. It's not like this place is the Senate. the Admins do not represent the regular users, the Administer the JC< and oversee the operations. While I think that Carter may have jumped the gun, all this finger-pointing and name calling is doing nothing at hand to keep the discussion going. I mean, folks, this is an INTERNET Message board. Everyone wants action right away. Well, these things take time. Despite popular opinion, there are still enough good mods in the MS to handle this situation, however it's gonna take time, and I am sure that the details willl be provided, if we let them do their jobs, not clog Comm with threads and spam and socks like we have seen tonite.

Take a rest, everyone. Go play with your Xmas presents, or something. Give the Mods time to do their thing here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.