main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Acting in the Star Wars Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by solojones, Aug 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I hear a whole lot of praise for Ewan on these boards, which I think is understandable. IMHO, I think his performace has been possibly the best of the saga, certainly one of them anyway.

I was just curious to know if there's anyone who feels something contrary to this?

-sj loves kevin spacey

Speeg Edit: With SJ's permission, I'm gearing this towards discussing the acting of all the Saga. Feel free to discuss actors and the craft of acting throught the Saga. Thanks!

2. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    His English accent still bugs me, but that's probably as much to do with being used to hearing his normal scottish accent since 1996 (before he was in ER 8-}) as his ability to sound English.

Other than that- no complaints from me, really...

3. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Actually in AOTC when he says 'war' and 'far' I can hear his Scottish rolling of the r's but it doesn't really bug me. On a whole, I think his accent matches Sir Alec's really well. Not just accent, but tone and everything as well.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I thought he was absolutley fantastic in teh original scenes, but the reshoots where not as good.Many people complain about the beard and wig (and they are *horrible*) but also IMO he plays these scenes stiffer and the accent is more fake sounding (us English/U.K. dwellers notice it more than you guys outside the British Isles, I think).I think this is George's fault more than Ewan's though.

That gripe aside, he pretty much carries the P.T. for me.Can't think of anyone else who could do better or add the charisma Ewan does to an underwritten part (though I would pay to see Johny Depp's take on the role :D).

5. Grand Admiral Thran

Grand Admiral Thran Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 1999
    Pssh, Johnny Debb needs to be Anakin in Episode III. I can't stand Hayden's poor acting. It's really killing II for me.

And Debb can play ANYTHING. *points to scissorhands and Captain Jack Sparrow*

-GAT

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Gosh I love the sudden rush of Johnny Depp fandom :p *rolls eyes*

Anyway, I have to say I must be a total idiot because I have never noticed the reshoot scenes. I know they are there, but I guess if I looked for them I could tell.

As for accent, I do notice the differences and it bugs me too.

But come on, there has to be *someone* in the SW fandom who doesn't like Ewan in the role! :p There are people who don't like Harrison or Mark, etc, aren't there?

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    Oh man Johnny Depp would have kicked ass as Anakin, but I LOVE Ewan as Obi-Wan he's the only guy who could do such a great job as young Obi.

8. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    This topic really doesn't belong in here, since it deals mainly with a PT actor, but I think we can steer this towards a thread discussing acting throught the Saga. Here we can make comparisons, parallels, ect on the acting throught the whole saga.

If sj doesn't mind, we can edit the title to make it "official." :)

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hint, Johnny Depp is too short to be Anakin and wouldn't it be a *little* weird for Anakin to be older than Obi-Wan? Hmmm?

Sure Spike, go ahead and make it an acting thread :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I really didn't intend to turn this into a Johny Depp love-fest, it's just that I'd come back from watching Pirates of the Caribbean in which I thought he was funny.

What I don't get is all the people who say Mark Hamill was bad in the OT :confused:. Maybe it's because I grew up with the movies, but to me he is Luke, whiny and naive but totaly convincing.I don't even mind the power-converters line.Personal taste I guess.

It might be an idea to bring up the other actors who were considered for main parts in Star Wars: Christopher Walken,Toshirô Mifune etc. This might steer the topic away from the Hayden Christensen/Natalie Portman bashing that is bound to occur.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I never disliked Mark personally, I just didn't like the way he chose to portray Luke in all his whininess. I don't think he did a bad job portraying him the way he chose to, it's just that in the novelization of SW (out before the film), it seemed to me that Luke was more frustrated and less whiny.

Oh yes, Christopher Walken... really, can you imagine him being Han Solo? Well peronsally, after the SNL skit with Kevin Spacey I could never imagine it now :p But even before... I mean, Chris is a great actor, but it just seems like a role for someone with a lot of charm and charisma, not creepiness :p Granted, I think Chris is faking some of his creepiness and just messing with people. So maybe he would have been ok and it would have given his career a different slant.

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    i think Ewan does an excellent job of making us see Obi-Wan as one character rather than two actors.. i remember hearing somewhere that Ewan spent some time before TPM studying Alec Guinness's performance and incorporating even the tiniest details like how he lowers the hood of his robe (this was awhile ago so i cant be sure of the source or validity)

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No I've heard Ewan say the same type of things on talk shows and things. There's no question he's very dedicated and did a lot of preparation for the role. That, along with his own incredible acting talent, has made his performance amazing. I love it because it seems like Alec's Obi-Wan, and yet Ewan gives the character his own touches and really makes you feel like this is a younger, less weary version of the same character. Altogether, between those two actors (I believe the best main character actors by far), Ewan and Alec, we have one continuous, amazing display of a character.

-sj loves kevin spacey

14. 6-6-6

6-6-6 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2002
    No matter how poor any of the acting in Star Wars was, at least it was always better than the best acting in LOTR.

15. Naberrie_SkyWalker

Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 30, 2002
    to continue the Ewan love fest..hehhe.. kidding aside..He is REMARKABLE as Obi and the charcter will flow very nicely into the OT because of his attention to detail. no one else could have played PT Obi IMHO..
    Same can also be said for Hayden(I decided to get the love in before the bashers started..lol).Besides being mucho eye candy he has actually done the character great justice. Incorparating enough JL mannerisms to connect it to TPM and enough JEJ/DP mannerisms to tie it to the OT took a lot of hrd work and dedication. His talent brings a lot to the SW universe..

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    About Ewan... the amazing thing to me is how he disappears into his characters completely. Yesterday I watched AOTC and Trainspotting. Absolutely no connection between Obi-Wan and Renton. It's impossible for me to connect them as the same person, because they just aren't. Ewan creates them as separate character.

About Hayden... I happen to think he's done a fine job. Not brilliant perhaps, but very good in my opinion. He has the ability to act obsessively boyishly in love, but also get those little creepings of the Dark Side in which is very creepy. Sure, there are probably a few parts where I don't like a line delivery (heavily due to the lines, though) but I don't think there's really another actor better for Anakin. Sure, you could have some other young guy who's probably about the same, but Hayden's just fine. The reason I've warmed up to Hayden mostly though is because I've seen through interviews and through other actor's comments how commited Hayden is his acting and his characters. I've seen that he's no dummy when it comes to explaining deeper things in his own movies, or others. So because of his tremendous effort, I'm very happy to have him as Anakin.

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    There's no denying that Ewan is great as Obiwan, but Sir Alec Guinness is probably the best. Mark Hamill is very underrated and I think he does one of the best jobs in the whole Saga.

18. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Ewan is a great actor. His performance of Obi-wan has been great so far. Especially in AOTC, since the character was a little bit flat in TPM.

Liam Neeson was brilliant in TPM. Even better than McGregor. Neeson really makes you feel connected with the Qui-Gon character. He has that warm, father touch. Someone you can rely one.

The best SW actor so far is Ian McDiarmid, without any question. The way he portrayed Palpatine is really unique. His performance in TPM really gave me the chills. Especially the moment he whispered in Amidala's ear. Pure evil. In AOTC, his role was minor, but great as usual. Everything, I repeat everything Palpatine said in AOTC was pure BS. But he just said it like he meant every word of it, he even showed some little tears. ROTJ showed us how pure evil characters can be charming. Palpatine smiles through every episode. And the best is yet to come: Eps.III, where Palpatine will have a major role for the first time (possibly even more screentime than Padme). Ian McDiarmid will show us the ultimate mix of the PT & OT Palpatine! (Rick McCallum said that "Palpatine 'll be fantastic in Eps.III" , being his fav. Eps.III character)

Ian McDiarmid is what acting is all about. :)

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

I like Ewan McGregor a lot, but I don't think his performance in the PT is so good, actually it's just the accent, at times he sounds okay and at others he sounds like someone faking a posh accent. Maybe it's on the re-shoots, the worst is in the elevator scene at the beginning of AOTC, and that chuckle he does is so phony.

My favorite actor, by a mile, is Mark Hamill. I wouldn't hesitate to give him the award, he is incredibly underrated IMO, it's not easy to play the earnest, sincere type, it could easily have been dull. For me the most powerful scene in cinema history is still the scene where Luke loses his hand in ESB and learns who his father is.

Ian McDiarmid - I'm actually not keen on his performance in ROTJ, I thought it was too over-the-top, too pantomime. But in the PT he's brilliant, so subtle, so machiavellian, perfect, one of the few occassions where the PT is better than the OT!

g

20. eggdawg_01

eggdawg_01 Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2003
    y'know i've heard some people say that they could tell that harrison ford didn't want to be in the later episodes but i've never seen it. his performance had always been one i've really enjoyed.
    also mark hamill plays his role perfectly.. very underrated..
    all in all i think i like all the acting in the CT
    in terms of the prequels i like most of the performances too.. the problems i have are more based on lines i don't like than problems with the acting..

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Ewan in TPM... don't think it's a case of mediocre acting at all, but just the way the character is supposed to be- more quiet, subdued. The accent thing doesn't bother me. I know he's faking it so I would notice more (since many people don't realise his actual accent isn't the one in SW, average viewers and whatnot). But even I don't really notice it much, I'm too busy being interested in the character. My brother was commenting yesterday while watching AOTC how Ewan has the best facial expressions, and I agree.

I think that's a great connection to Sir Alec, too. Alec says so much without saying anything, you know? Those gazes of just being lost in thought portray so much. He was truly amazing in the part, and honestly I think he would be really happy with Ewan's performance were he alive today.

Ian is incredible in the PT. I kind of agree that he's a *little* over the top in ROTJ. Yes, he's supposed to be mocking Luke though. So I kind of understand. It never really bothered me though. Just figured Palpy is mad with anger. But in the PT we see a much more low key devious side to the character. Think he's awesome at that. Can't wait to see how he bridges this in Ep. III :D

Like I've said, I think Mark does a really good job with how he choses to handle the character. I just don't like Luke when he's whiny. Nothing against Mark. I think Mark does a great job with the wet behind the ears eagerness, and how that transforms throughout the films. However, I still get the sense in ROTJ that he hasn't completely grown up. Maybe he's not supposed to, but it just seems that way to me.

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. raymond

raymond Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2003
    There was nothing wrong with the acting in AOTC, Hayden did a awsome job as Anakin, i will take his acting over any of the LOTR Movies!

till this day people talk about Star Wars not LOTR.

Can't wait to see Hayden in Shattered Glass!

Speeg Edit: That comment was uncalled for.

23. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Mark Hamill is very underrated and I think he does one of the best jobs in the whole Saga.

i totally agree.. Mark Hamill is absolutely superb as Luke

24. starwars6554

starwars6554 Jedi Master star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I agree as well. The scenes he has regarding his emotional struggle with his father are absolutely amazing. The emotion he brings to the scene are really great. I love his acting, especially in The Empire Strikes back when Vader reveals that he's Luke's father. :)

25. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    [[till this day people talk about Star Wars not LOTR.]]

Uh, I love SW very much and would never talk bad about it intentionally, but I think you're wrong about people not talking about LOTR.

Right now I think it's the best trilogy going today, not that I don't like the PT because I do.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off topic or start a SW is better than LOTR debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.