main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Adrick's Review of 501st

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Zandalor, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    First off, I'd like to say thank you to Adrick for updating the review section, I really like to hear his opinions and how he handles book reviews.

Second, I really enjoyed this review in particular. Being a fan of the Commando series myself, I did feel that this review judged the book quite fairly and objectively. Adrick brought up both positive and negative points in the book, which I do agree on.

What he didn't do, was touch down on the subject of continuity. I actually approve of this. By judging a novel based on its own merits, it is much easier to get an impression on how the book was put together. Most of his complaints stemmed from the characters lack of motivation, and the seemingly fantasy setting of Kyrimorut.

These are more technical problems with the writer, rather than the canon. By disregarding canon as a topic of complaint, one can better determine the skill of a writer in their own element, instead of talking about how their work relates to another author's work.

I feel it also allows much of the tension stemming from heated debates over canon issues to be avoided in a review. Personal opinions regarding the author and their views on canon can affect a person's judgment. This is a form of bias, which I again feel detracts from a review.

So, in conclusion, if you read this Adrick, thank you for your unbiased, objective review of 501st. It was nice to read some new reviews.

Also, if you are curious as to how Ms. Traviss would have ended the series, I advise you read the FAQ section on her webpage. She has a short summary of what she would have done with the next installment.

Please use the official 501st discussion thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.