main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Almost Human from JJ Abrams

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , May 15, 2013.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Live blog: OMFG, Gareth!

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

[face_worried] No comment.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Saw it. Enjoyed it. I wonder how long it'll last on FOX.

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Hmm, have I heard that somewhere before? Oh, that's right...

Lord Vivec likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *eyeroll* I fell asleep last night and missed it. It happens!

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Don't worry, FOX will cancel it in 2 weeks.

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Now that it's been shown and I got to watch it again, a few more thoughts on the pilot.

What makes this work is the chemistry between the two leads. The pilot as a stand-alone story isn't something that just slaps you across the face as some other shows have. It is a fairly pedestrian procedural show tale that serves its ultimate purpose of being a framework to introduce the characters. There is though the groundwork for a large story arc laid down, which along with what is likely to be (at the start at least) a procedural format should help to engage an early audience (and what other show on the fringe took that same format.....). But the way in which Urban and Ealy work together elevates the pilot above the story it has. They each put enough into their performance to make the characters more rounded, with Urban being Urban, and Ealy showing his chameleonic skills to provide just enough subtle body and facial movements to feel like a robot that is almost, but not quite, human. Hopefully they give this enough time for John and Dorian to become another of the well known cop pairings (and I love the Scrubs reference with their names, whether intentional or not).

9. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Only seen the first episode so far which impressed me enough that I will watch the second when I get an opportunity.

It has to be asked though, does Dorian dream of electric sheep?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I enjoyed it enough to keep watching. Curious about the budget, though. It looks like they sunk a good deal more into it than I had expected.

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I've seen only the first episode so far, and while it's not bad, it didn't grab my attention from the first episode like some other shows (GoT, The Walking Dead, Fringe...). I'll give it a shot with the next few episodes, but if it doesn't get better than the pilot, I might stop watching it.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    That's kind of the only episode out.

13. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    No, there are two episodes out. The show is regularly going to be on Monday nights, so they did the pilot on Sunday to get a bump from the NFL, and then showed Ep2 on Monday night.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I love basically all of the primary actors in the show, which makes it good. Yes, even former Potentially-Mrs Derek Jeter. But I knew that Urban / Ealy together would be gold...

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Watched the two part pilot and enjoyed it immensely. Agreed that it's the lead actors who really make it click.

Very happy to have a good show to watch before Sleepy Hollow.

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I know the show's kinda in limbo right now (you better renew it, Fox!) but I finally caught up on the show and just finished watching the season "finale" (but, given how the show was being aired out of order, who knows if it really was meant to be the finale- even though it works pretty well in that role).

Also- does anyone recall the details about "the wall"? It seemed to come out of nowhere during the episode with Dorian's creator and never seemed like it was explained other than the occasional "on the other side of the wall" comment, though I'm probably just forgetting a detail from earlier in the season due to the gap between me watching the first few episodes and the backend.

Regardless, I'm loving the chemistry between the leads as well as the cyberpunk trappings. It really did a good job at putting a refreshing spin on the tired cop procedural genre (which, like Alcatraz before it, probably means it'll get canceled, sadly- people don't want innovation in cop shows, it seems).

The cyberpunk elements have also done a very good job at making a lot of the tech very plausible and original. You could definitely see some of this stuff existing in 30-40 years (if not sooner). And they've integrated those elements better than some larger budgeted movies have lately.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm kind of hoping that the fact that Sleepy Hollow got renewed for another year, and that Glee and American Idol appear to be on their last legs gives some hope that Fox will at least give Almost Human another year.

18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    FOX should give this show a second chance. It has so much potential to be a bit more Fringey, and I hope they get to explore the possibilities.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It would be nice for them to be able to wrap up some of the ongoing arc stories at the very least- though, to be honest, the smaller ongoing stories have been more interesting. It's not everyday when a series' standalone episodes draw your attention more than their mythology episodes.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  20. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah definitely. And I think the chemistry between the leads is good enough to sustain the show, though I really wish it was broadcast in the right order.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    Episode 10 onewards were in the right order, so the season finale was the season finale.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's good to know. There were so many throwback lines to early episodes that it was hard to tell if it was out of order or just simply throwbacks trying to tie the season together as a whole.

23. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    This is the least surprising cancellation since Terra Nova

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    It's officially been canned? Unsurprising as you say but truly a shame.