main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An analysis by Sithiness Inc.

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Apr 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Well, I'm sure most of you have seen some of my previous "analysises" of music here, but those were just small little analysises. Now I'm doing the whole sh-bang! Yessireebob, all 4 movies' music reviewed and analyzed in detail by yours truly: Sithman. Alright, enough yapping, let's begin...

ANH-
    Strings. Can I say it again? Okay, strings, strings, strings! When I think of ANH, that's what I think of. The majority of ANH music seems to be strings starkly contrasted by blaring horns. As an example, I'll use one of the most memorable pieces from the movie- The Throne Room. The piece starts off with the unforgettable fanfare, then with the blaring version of the Force Theme as Han, Luke and Chewy walk down the aisle. Then as they reach the Princess the music abruptly changes into, once again, strings. Also, another example is the very *beginning of ANH when the Stormtroopers storm the Tantive IV. Just after the Stormtroopers board and creep past the camera as smoke fills the corridor, you hear strings simulating the chaos with a quickly rising and falling piece, as we switch views we hear horns again, quietly announcing the Rebel Fanfare.

So, in essence, ANH is strings punctuated by blaring horns.

TESB-
    Just as ANH was strings and horns but with the strings coming out on top, TESB is horns. Horns, horns, horns! In my opinion, this is due to the evolution of the Imperial March which is well known for it's powerful brass parts. But even when the Imperial March isn't being played, the Force Theme and many other cues are played by blaring horns. For this reason, TESB can get quite hard to listen to while trying to relax- it raises your nerves more than lowers them. Now, for pure listening purposes I may not like it, but in the scope of the movie it's great. TESB is supposed to be a brassy movie. The Empire is in control and evidently so is the Empire's type of music.

In conclusion, TESB has one Brass Monkey of a soundtrack. :D

ROTJ-
    Awesome. It's a perfect blend of the last two movies: Woodwinds, brass, strings. But what I like best that ROTJ did was (1) the choir and (2) percussion.
    (1.) The choir was great. Without it, the Emperor's Theme would not be what it now is! In fact, Palpatine himself wouldn't be as dreadful as he is now! And as for the ending song with the children's choir (Cinde will disagree with me here)- it made the ROTJ ending perfect. As the camera sweeps over the freed cities, planets, and then finally brings us back to our friends and heroes, the music swells and lifts our spirits to new heights! Nothing else could well up tears in my eyes besides those images accompanied by that music. :D
    (2.) Percussion. Besides the snare drum and such in ANH and TESB, not much was used. But combining the snare and timpani in ROTJ was pure coolness. The timpani tolls the death sentence of our heroes as Jabba declares the Sarlacc Sentence. It sounds a small reprieve from danger as the Rancor utters his dying gasps. The percussion added a totally new dimension to the film.

TPM-
    Wow. If I thought ROTJ had done it all in terms of music; TPM topped it. Instead of just using the choir for signaling evil, he uses it as a battle theme that makes one's adrenaline flow like rapids. The movie is too broad to cover in it's entirety, so maybe I'll just say what *I* like best about it. Besides the fan-favorite DOTF, I love how TPM brought in a brand new theme for the evilest man in the man in the galaxy... But made is so opposite from the Imperial March that no one would even GUESS that they could be the same people! Then there's the Federation March which takes on the same approach as the Imperial March: Strings as an intro, then blaring horns for the TF theme.

So, in my opinion, TPM does it all music-wise. It encompasses everything that all the other 3 films had and mixed them into beautiful and stirring works.

Even though I couldn't POSSIBLY cover everything that I loved in the movies, I hope you liked it! C

2. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    :D Very cool, Sithman! Looks like you really did your homework on this! Good job! :)

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Sithman,
    what about Shadows of the Empire? ;)

4. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    Good analysis, Sithman. :) I would like to add that the extremely percussive effects used in the ROTJ in the Ewok battle created just the right mood for the combination of absurdity and tragedy in that scene. And the choir really added to the sinister-ness of the Emperor.

I find the Yub-yub song quite uplifting myself. :D But the new song is okay too, I guess. ;)

5. Erin Kenobi

Erin Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2000
    Great job!

6. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
  7. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Thanks guys! If anybody else has anything to add of their own, please do! I'd love to read it!

~Sithman~
    the sithiest J.E.D.I. around!

8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I agree with you. Well except for the "ESB can be hard to listen to" bit......I love em all!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Good job Sithy!

Although, I listen to ESB every night and it calms me down. Possible because I know all the songs and can follow them...

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yes, some parts of ESB are calming like the ending song before the credits and stuff. But I'm talking about the Carbon Freeze Chamber. It's nice and quiet, with the Love Theme beautifully playing in the background, then BOOM! Han gets lowered into the pit and the blaring horns start playing. Heh, it's enough to give me nightmares. :D

~Sithman~

11. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    "analysises" [face_laugh]

And "evilest". :p

OK, Sithy, at least you can add your analysis of AOTC to this fine collection. :)

12. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    ~Sithman~
    the sithiest J.E.D.I. around!

OMG I love that sig!!!

Yah I like your analysis here Sithy. I think it's spot on and I agree with most all of it. I too would be interested to see your take on AOTC added here.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yes, acknowledge AOTC you must!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.