main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

An idea for the JCC and other forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthTunick , Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    One of the great JC traditions is the Yarael Poofism (as I call it) that is readable when one takes their courser over to the upper/mid left section of their computer screen for any given forum...........................they're funny, and one of the good JC constants. So, I've been pondering, why not add to this? Take a look at the top of ESPN.com's Page 2............notice that quote there. If you're reading this thread sometime tomorrow morning/afternoon, it will change, as it does every weekday. It's always a humorous/ironic quote, one of the highlights I get when reading ESPN.com. So, why not try this for the JCC/other forums (obviously it would be JC/Star Wars related when applicable)? Either the teams of mods for a given forum can come up with a quote, or they can encourage users to submit their own for each day. The quote can go right below the banner, and it can be a nice little addition for a forum. I don't how well this idea will be received/if it will get anywhere, but it's something that's been on my mind lately, so I had to share it with all of you. :)

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Interesting idea, although as I was reading your post I thought you were going to suggest that the quote be something that a JCer posted, rather than having mods and others come up with them. Either way would work though.

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    This is definitely possible, but it means either an admin needs to edit each forum's javascript file every day, or a script needs to be written that pulls a new quote/post/Poofism/whatever from a list every day. I'm not saying I wouldn't support this idea, but I'm doing way too many things at the moment to be the one to figure out how to make it work.

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, even if you couldn't do it everyday, another mod could...............................I can't imagine doing that would take a very long time.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Managers and admins can change the banner scripts (though I don't think all the managers know how). Changing the Poofism would be pretty easy. Maybe a compromise would be to do it weekly and have one of the JCC mods change it? I can certainly tell them how to do it if they don't know how.

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    No, no.......................this quote atop the forum would be in addition to the Poofism, not a replacement. Also, I think a quote once a week would be too slow..............................there can be/would be enough material for a quote for at least 5 days a week.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Ah - I misunderstood. If it's the quote atop the forum then Grimby is right - it would have to be an admin since they would need access to the TFN server to do the update.

8. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    But it still IS a cool idea.

9. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Admin access aside, how hard would it be to take a fortune-cookie style program and adapt it to something like this? With a large enough quote pool (which can, in turn, be expanded as much as necessary, since text files are cheap), it seems to me it would be a pretty easy process to automate it. But I'm not at all familiar with board code, so I could be talking crazy talk. :p

10. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Creating a list of quotes and a script to automate it would be the easy part. It's the integration into the current code that'd be tricky.

11. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    can you guys use SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" SRC="filename.js" ?

Or can you not upload filename.js?

Because I agree, putting a bunch of quotes in the already messy code is gonna end up being...more messier

But cool idea

12. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Of course we would do that. But that's not what I mean.

Without getting into the nitty gritty details, we now use a common Javascript file that builds the banner and header of each page rather than the old method of putting all that HTML code into each individual banner. We also use a secondary script file for each individual forum that customizes the page with the correct moderators, forum links and announcements, and Google search information. The only way currently to add new content to an individual forum is to modify the forum's script file and add in the custom code. There is a built-in function that can replace the Google search box with custom code, but that means you would have to choose between having the Google search box and this new quote feature. Ideally, we wouldn't want to sacrifice the search box for this.

The common script could be modified to allow both to appear on the page, but like I said, someone who knows what they're doing would need to edit the code to make it work.

13. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Heh, I should have guessed as much. I've worked with some pretty messy code myself, and it's amazing how quickly simple tasks become complicated. :p

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Glad to see this idea getting liked...................................so far. :p

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Hey Grimby, once you figure this out, how tough would it be to put a sports ticker in the Arena? :p

16. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Dude, if you can provide me with some sort of feed code, that's really not hard to do. ;)

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I like this idea more. :p

18. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Sports ticker in the Arena? HAWT.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I like Tunick's idea, but Inty's is just plain awesome.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how the code for that kinda stuff works.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    If Inty's idea for The Arena gets approved, the ticker could go above or below where the quote would be.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Tunick, go look at the Arena :p

The ticker turned out to be surprisingly easy to implement.

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It looks great!

23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    *wonders how the idea is going*

24. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    I like DarthTunick's idea, but won't that create a lot of work for someone? I am no tech expert by far, but I was just concerned, since the Admins, Managers and Mods seem to have so much to do already.

:)

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm glad this idea has been considered.......................................oh, wait.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.